CVA Optima .50 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rj 1

Reaction score
I just purchased a CVA Optima nickle/ black fleck stock with a 26" barrel. I was wondering if anyone else shoots one and what kind of load you are shooting? What kind of accuracy can I expect from this gun? I have some loose 777 powder and also purchased some 250 bonded T/C shockwave I am going to try. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rodney

Clean the Barrel really good. Use alcohol. sop and hot water what ever you want. But get all the grease/ oil out of it first. I would start out at 90 grains by volume of the T7. Load the sabot and enjoy. I would also work up in 5 grain increments and find the best combo. I would almost bet it will be 100 to 110 grains of powder. Between shot swab with 1 spit patch. Lick the patch swab it, flip it over and swab again. Reload and shoot it and enjoy it.

Use the supplied sabot and start out with 85gr of 777.. Should be a good load in that gun.

try all the above and when you still get flyers and can't shoot a good group any farther than 70 yards, put it in a white garbage bag and through it in the trash. Sorry i had a bad time with that gun. You should have read some of the posts on this site, about what gun to buy or looked on the chuckhawks.com site. If you can bring it back, do so and buy a good gun.

CVA guns are hit and miss... some get good ones that will shoot well. While others have had the experience that little red had. If you like the gun and it fits your budget try what the others have posted... if you have a doubt about your purchase bring it back and get an New England Firearms ML, Knight, or Thompson Center.

Otherwise do a lot of reading... and then ask lots of questions.

cva 50 cal

ALL ML HAVE THERE ONE MIND. I HAVE A HUNTERBOLT 50 CAL 26IN AND 1/28 TWIST. I SHOOT 110GR T7 AND 250 SHOCK WAVE. OFF THE BENCH I SHOOT 3 SHOT AND THEY ALL TOUCH AT 100 YARDS. GOOD LUCK ON GETTING A GOOD CVA, I DID AND LOVE IT. I WILL ALWAYS KEEP MINE BUT HAVE ORDERED A NFA SIDEKICK.

Back