Clueless??? Terrible at the range??? Help!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DeerNut said:
I agree with all the things being said here, especially the need to shoot slower. At 70F, you should wait 15-20minutes...at least. Even at 45F I wait 10 minutes between shots. This is hard to get your head around because the Savage is so easy to shoot fast. I usually take a second gun..or 3, so I have something to do between shots. 20 minutes is a long long time when you're anxious to see what your gun is doing.

Also, what kind of bases are you using? This might be part of the problem too.

Next time, I would just pick one load (say 58grs N120) and shoot that one load until you're getting on paper. Once you get any kind of group, then...that's the time to start tinkering.

So, clean your gun and slow down. At my last range session, it took me over 2 hours to shoot 8 shots.

Good points. I was probably there for 3+ hours for 9 shots. Had the other guy there working in between him. After he left I started working in my .308 and .300 WSM altenately. There was at least 15 minutes in between, probably more. But again, I was loading before letting it sit....learned an important one there.

Bases were custom machined by the gunsmith out of stainless because of a delay in getting them. They look sweet. He used the Weaver design. Rings are Weaver. I think I've got enough other things wrong to keep this variable clear for now, but I'll re-examine if I'm still having trouble.

I was going to only shoot 55 grains but I ran out of pre measured vials. I only did 6 of each of the 55, 56, and 57.

BTW, I found the owners manual document on line and I've downloaded it.

But again, I was loading before letting it sit....learned an important one there.

Yes, that would likely be the problem.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Tiger Rag said:
Tiger Rag said:
The Sims Limbsaver #10601 says it fits the Savage 10 and 110 with wood stock. Is there one that fits the synthetic stock so you don't have to use a slip on?

Ok, Randy answered this too. No custom one made, you have to cut and grind one to fit the syn stock. I ordered the slip on.

Sorry it took me a while to respond. Yes the medium Simms pad fits the 10ML nicely and I removed my stock pad and just slipped the Simms over. If you aren't in a hurry you can still find them for $15 plus shipping cost on ebay but you have to watch it......Doug

dougedwards said:
Tiger Rag said:
Tiger Rag said:
The Sims Limbsaver #10601 says it fits the Savage 10 and 110 with wood stock. Is there one that fits the synthetic stock so you don't have to use a slip on?

Ok, Randy answered this too. No custom one made, you have to cut and grind one to fit the syn stock. I ordered the slip on.

Sorry it took me a while to respond. Yes the medium Simms pad fits the 10ML nicely and I removed my stock pad and just slipped the Simms over. If you aren't in a hurry you can still find them for $15 plus shipping cost on ebay but you have to watch it......Doug

Thanks Doug. No problem on the response. My sore shoulder told me I was in a hurry.....lol. I decided to go ahead and order one so I'd have late this week....hopefully. Randy Wakeman had written a nice article over on chuckhawks site on how much he liked the Sims Limbsaver recoil pad. He said he thought it reduced felt recoil by 1/3 or so. That will be impressive if that is the case.

Tiger Rag, There is a chance your base screws are to long. Many people have had this problem. You might need to file down the front base screws to solve your problem.

Grouse said:
Tiger Rag, There is a chance your base screws are to long. Many people have had this problem. You might need to file down the front base screws to solve your problem.

Hmmm, can you elaborate on how this causes a problem? I guess if there is a specific length needed, I may not have it since the gunsmith milled the bases himself. He's been doing this a long time, but you never know. Just curious about the effect of the longer screw, not doubting it.

Thanks for the input, Matt

The base screws bottom out before being completely tight. It's really hard to notice unless you count the threads. I would also reccomend using loc-tite on the bases. :idea:

IMO I would quit playing email tag and get back to the basics. Savage reccomended loads will make your purchase alot more enjoyable. :wink:

Grouse said:
IMO I would quit playing email tag and get back to the basics. Savage reccomended loads will make your purchase alot more enjoyable. :wink:

Well, it's a few days before I an get back to shoot it so just trying to be prepared and trouble shoot ahead of time. I downloaded the Savage manual so I'll peruse their factory recommended loads. I can't get Accurate Arms powder locally though. I can get IMR and if memory serves, one of their loads suggests IMR.

Speaking of IMR 4759, here is a target Savage shot with my Savage.

Savage.jpg

Grouse said:
IMO I would quit playing email tag and get back to the basics. :wink:

BTW, isn't that what these intenet board are all about? Just trying to do some learning.

I have had better luck with the CCI 209m primer and the Federal 209A. Both are hot primers and give good results with the various powders I have tried in the Savage. The regular WW primers have worked well for several on this board but I have misgivings about the weaker primers that have been designed for 777 in black powder guns. These primers were made to help eliminate the crud ring caused by using hotter primers with 777. They are also supposed to increase accuracy with the blackpowder substitutes. Smokeless powder requires a hot flame and around 40 pounds of pressure on the bullet/sabot combination to insure ignition. I would stick with the 300 grain bullets until the gun starts shooting groups. The 300 Hornady XTP has proven accurate in many savage rifles and is entirely adequate on deer as far as you can place the bullet in the kill zone. Fold up a towel and place it between the stock and your shoulder and that will help with the recoil.

schoolmaster said:
I have had better luck with the CCI 209m primer and the Federal 209A. Both are hot primers and give good results with the various powders I have tried in the Savage. The regular WW primers have worked well for several on this board but I have misgivings about the weaker primers that have been designed for 777 in black powder guns. These primers were made to help eliminate the crud ring caused by using hotter primers with 777. They are also supposed to increase accuracy with the blackpowder substitutes. Smokeless powder requires a hot flame and around 40 pounds of pressure on the bullet/sabot combination to insure ignition. I would stick with the 300 grain bullets until the gun starts shooting groups. The 300 Hornady XTP has proven accurate in many savage rifles and is entirely adequate on deer as far as you can place the bullet in the kill zone. Fold up a towel and place it between the stock and your shoulder and that will help with the recoil.

Thanks for the follow up on the primer question. I need to go to Bass Pro this week anyway so I'll probably swap the primers out as well as get some IMR 4759 for a powder alternative and backup load.

Yeah, I'll at least wear a sweatshirt of something. Hopefully the Sims recoil pad will make it in this week.

Tiger...
Why don't you get a strap on PAST recoil pad for use at the range? Best item EVER to save your shoulder...AWESOME product, works with ALL rifles/shotguns/muzzleloaders AND requires no fitting!

PAST pad

big6x6 said:
Tiger...
Why don't you get a strap on PAST recoil pad for use at the range? Best item EVER to save your shoulder...AWESOME product, works with ALL rifles/shotguns/muzzleloaders AND requires no fitting!

PAST pad

Not a bad looking product. I've never worried about it in the past so I haven't thought about such products. Maybe I'm just getting old...... :lol: Thanks Chuck.

There are better powders to start with other than N120. Your right, N120 kicks, go to N110 or 5744, with a 250 class bullet for starters you'll be much happier.
Jeff Haugland!

Tiger Tag,

I am just down the road from you in G'boro. If you need any assitance feel free to shoot me an e-mail, PM, or give me a call. If I can, I'll even go to the range with you.

Getting back to the basics, with the Savage, would be getting some AA 5744, Hornady .452 300gr XTPs, and MMP HPH-12 sabots. If you need 5744, I have have several pounds and Gander Mountain in G'boro has it as well. 44-45 grains (or 3.7cc dipper) of 5744, with that bullet and sabot, has proven to be an excellent starting load for so many 10ML-IIs I have dealt with over the years. While not producing the highest velocity (2,075-2,130FPS) and maybe not the tighest groups, it has proven to be a solid and reliable hunting load, producing consistant groups of approx. 1.5MOA or a tad less in many, many rifles. This load has also proven to be deadly on deer as well, as it has taken hundreds of animlas. Recoil is mild as well, comparable to a .270 Win. or light 12ga load.

1SHOT1KILL said:
Tiger Tag,

I am just down the road from you in G'boro. If you need any assitance feel free to shoot me an e-mail, PM, or give me a call. If I can, I'll even go to the range with you.

Getting back to the basics, with the Savage, would be getting some AA 5744, Hornady .452 300gr XTPs, and MMP HPH-12 sabots. If you need 5744, I have have several pounds and Gander Mountain in G'boro has it as well. 44-45 grains (or 3.7cc dipper) of 5744, with that bullet and sabot, has proven to be an excellent starting load for so many 10ML-IIs I have dealt with over the years. While not producing the highest velocity (2,075-2,130FPS) and maybe not the tighest groups, it has proven to be a solid and reliable hunting load, producing consistant groups of approx. 1.5MOA or a tad less in many, many rifles. This load has also proven to be deadly on deer as well, as it has taken hundreds of animlas. Recoil is mild as well, comparable to a .270 Win. or light 12ga load.

Cool, do you know of a local place to shoot? I've been shooting at the neighbor to our hunt club in Tarboro (3 hours away). I don't have a place right now to shoot this week and I'd like to.

I called Gander Mtn and last time I was in there they didn't even have IMR SR 4759 and I specifically asked for Accurate Arms 5744 and they said no. Our new Dick's here in Winston has nothing basically. I'll shoot you a pm with my phone #. After my last range session I feel like I could use the help. Thanks, Matt

I was at Gander Mtn this past Sunday PM and saw 5744 in the their powder cabinet. But I have several pounds of it as well if you need some. I belong to a range here in Guilford Co, Archers' Range, just north of G'boro. It only goes oujt to 100yds. I go to Camp Butner to shoot longer ranges, out to 1,000yds.

I also do some long range shooting down at our club in Washington, NC, just a little past you there at Tarboro.

Latest posts

Back