Caliber Preferences?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Falcon, I guess I've killed deer with everything from my .22 Hornet (I've owned three Hornets) to heavy 45/70 loads; even had a 45/70 bolt action long, long ago. The Hornet worked as well as anything I've used, with mostly DRTs and/or short panicked runs. My little M82 Kimber is just so spectacularly accurate and has such a light, crisp trigger it was no problem making a few neck shots; dropped them well with lung hits, too. I have loaded rounds and/or brass for calibers I never owned including the 8mm Mauser. I hunted with the 30/06 and .308 and love both. The .270 holds a permanent place in my esteem. But based on numbers of deer taken the .250/3000 and the .350 Rem mag lead. Of course I took deer with .45, .50, .54 and .62 prb and that's all I've used for many years. Never cared for inlines but am passionate when it comes to flintlock longrifles.

As earlier stated I've always managed to hang on to the .22Hornet in one form or another. My current is a K hornet in the Ruger #3 action. A custom I put together about 16 yrs past. Leupold 3 X 9 compact with fine crosshair and dot ( my favorite reticule), Neidner gripcap and buttplate. Mossie

Attachments

• P7130057.JPG
    P7130057.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 9
  • P7130052.JPG
    P7130052.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 6
  • P7130054.JPG
    P7130054.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 7
  • P7130056.JPG
    P7130056.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 7
As earlier stated I've always managed to hang on to the .22Hornet in one form or another. My current is a K hornet in the Ruger #3 action. A custom I put together about 16 yrs past. Leupold 3 X 9 compact with fine crosshair and dot ( my favorite reticule), Neidner gripcap and buttplate. Mossie
Beautiful setup! :thumbs up:
The .22 Hornet is a great varmint cartridge. I once hemmed and hawed over a .22 "K" Hornet that was in a local gun shop.

I once owned a Ruger #3 in .22 Hornet and a handgun in that caliber. I like the .22H because it's very accurate, quiet, pleasant to shoot and has plenty of power for deer.

I shot a K hornet in a Savage break action back in the early 60s. Shot further than it should, had a small diameter scope.

My #3 had been rechambered to 222 but I found an orig barrel in hornet and a new extractor and Walla, back to one of my "favorites". A few years later while turkey hunting around Crawford Ne a small lumber/hardware store was going out of the ammo business and I bought 15 boxes (50ea) of factory Win for 8.00 a box. Haven't reloaded since. While living in Artesia NM after getting out of the Army I bought the first TC Contender in the area. It was a Hornet and a feral housecat killing machine not to mention jacks, skunks etc....Mossie

I have a 22K hornet thats a tack driver its a TC Contender ,have a few other barrels for it but they almost never get used. I never had a Hornet and a friend of mine gave me 1000 once fired pieces of K brass that he had ,so I just had to get a barrel and some dies. One of my best moves great predator round for Coons,Coyotes, and Bobcats.22 K Hornet Contender.jpg

I once owned a Ruger #3 in .22 Hornet and a handgun in that caliber. I like the .22H because it's very accurate, quiet, pleasant to shoot and has plenty of power for deer.
😳 The Hornet sounds a little too light to me for deer...even with a 55 gr. SP's.

I agree Marty, dont think I would use my Hornet on Deer either. Have too many better choices. I do know several who do use a Hornet and also a 204 Ruger . Im just Leary of using such a small bullet.

Have owned many different manufactor's guns in .22 Hornet, but always come back to my good old Ruger No.1 in that caliber.
no1-22hornet.jpg
Nothing like one shot kills.

I've owned two Contenders, one in .22 Hornet and the other one in .357 mag. Truth is, I could never really warm up to those pistols. A handgun (to me) has to be handy and supremely portable. As far as the hornet on deer I agree it's rather light. I used 45 grain bullets and never lost a deer. Since I don't have "magnumitis" I've mostly used "minimum" cartridges for deer, with exceptions already mentioned. That's why I ended up with the .250 Sav being my all time favorite deer cartridge.

I always would have liked at Brno in .22 hornet, double set triggers. I have my late fathers' Brno Mod 2 bought new by him in 1953 or there about, bolt is slick like silk. I find my .50 is good all round for rabbits to kangaroos. Caplock with set trigger, real tack driver, as I have to head shoot the rabbits. I find this an easy flat shooting rifle. I don't use it much as I am having a love affair with flintlocks !

I really like the Hornet too. I call it my reloadable .22 Mag. Bought the Winchester Mod 43 20-25 years ago and intended to put a Leupold 2-7 in place of the low end 4x but it still does the job even out to 213 yards (laser range finder) on pasture poodles.

One thing I like about the Hornet is that I've developed a few loads in the 1900 fps to 1800 fps with 40 & 45 grn bullets that basically duplicate the .22 mag. The loads are very accurate and can do anything the .22mag can do. Mostly I shoot the 40 grn bullet approaching 2900 to 3000 fps. For deer I loaded the 45 grain.

Buck, I've never had any experience with the .327 Federal. In fact I haven't purchased a modern gun of any kind in well over 20 plus years. My last purchase, IIRC, was my Kimber of Oregon .45 acp Ultra Carry some 25 years ago. I would relish a small revolver, specifically a Colt 1862 Pocket Police (.36). I don't need a new modern revolver, already have a 7.65mm PPK and a small .38 spl. And it's been a very long time since I purchased a Ruger - my BHs are the 3-screw models with all but one purchased new, for instance.

Have owned many different manufactor's guns in .22 Hornet, but always come back to my good old Ruger No.1 in that caliber.
Nothing like one shot kills.

Damn, but that is a beautiful rifle. If I wasn't so old it would give me woody just looking at that gorgeous piece of wood. Modern platform rifles are certainly more ergonomically efficient, but I love me some curly walnut.

Damn, but that is a beautiful rifle. If I wasn't so old it would give me woody just looking at that gorgeous piece of wood. Modern platform rifles are certainly more ergonomically efficient, but I love me some curly walnut.
We are never to old to look at and dream of what we could have done with good equipage.

I'll never let my Kimber of Oregon M82 .22H go. I bought it new going on 40 years ago and love it. I've owned two Ruger #3 rifles, .22H and 30/40 Craig. Wish I'd kept both. The LGS owner was a friend and always gave me good deals. Still, the cost of these babies was far beyond my ability to afford. I even have a couple of custom flintlock rifles that cost less than either Kimber though built 20 years later! I can't recall precisely how I ended up with them, but I believe it was some convoluted affair.
M82 Hornet.
DSC00430.jpg

Custom Classic .22LR.
DSC00431.jpg

Have owned numerous .22 Hornet rifles over the years. The first was a very nice Winchester model 43 i traded for while in high school. That rifle soon developed headspace problems. Took it our local gunsmith who machined a shim to get the headspace right. The gunsmith told me that model 43 rifles in .25-20 and .32-20 calibers never developed headspace problems. He also stated rifles in .218 Bee and .22 Hornet often had headspace problems. i soon traded the gun off.

Last year i sold a Sako L-46 rifle in .22 Hornet.

The neatest .22 Hornet i ever owned was a BSA Martini with a model 43 Winchester barrel. Loaned that rifle to the daughter of a friend. She fell in love with the gun and i gave it to her. Had a break action H&R rifle in .22 Hornet that was very accurate. Gave it to my grand-daughter.

Currently own a Savage model 24F .22 Hornet over 3" 20 gauge shotgun: Good gun for called in coyotes. Also have a scoped .22 Hornet barrel for my Encore.

Got to find another .22 Hornet rifle.

I can't imagine being without a Hornet. It can be a gentle powder-puff playmate or a strong lightweight that punches way beyond its weight class.

Back