Blackhorn 209 vs Loose 777

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertb

Reaction score
I have been shooting loose 777 since 2002. I have never had an issue with it with either #11 caps or 209s. The 209s do create a crud ring but that's nothing that isn't solved with cleaning. I do like how easy it is to clean 777 with hot water and the fact that there is no oily residue or stinky smell like Pyrodex.

With that said, I recently decided to try Blackhorn 209 in a CVA Optima v2 today. Call me a late adopter. Anyway, I measured out my charges by weight and put them in small vials. Accuracy with them was decent but not what I would call remarkably better than 777. Anyway, I get home this evening and clean the gun with regular gun cleaners as Western states. My first impressions are this.....It's dirtier than I expected after hearing how clean burning it is. It's also harder to work with when pouring charges into vials, barrel, etc. based on the shape of the granules. Loose 777 is still one of my favorites as the cleanup is so easy...I've also never had corrosion issues with it. Then again, I clean my stuff the same day it is shot.

I'm not entirely sold on Blackhorn 209 yet. What makes it so much better? If you read the forums, you'd think this stuff is pixie dust.

"you'd think this stuff is pixie dust. "

To me it is. Some people love the Blackhorn, some like the T7. Personal preference.

A couple passes with a patch dampened with Hoppes followed by a couple dry patches and that's it other than the plug which has the same cleaning needs as with any powder. Consistent granulation makes charges more consistent, either by volume or by weight. Very little smoke. I shot t7 and pyro before trying the Blackhorn but never went back to either until the covid shortages hit. My guns all shoot T7 granular and Blackhorn to the same point of impact so recently my range time has been with T7 except the first shot which uses the Blackhorn on a fouled barrel. I'll hunt with Blackhorn so I need to know that those first shots go where I intend them to go. For the rest of my shooting I use T7 just because I can find it easily. I also have plenty of Blackhorn but am reluctant to burn it up at the club when T7 is so available.

Here is a comparison that might interest you..

50calT7vsBHVelocity.jpg

There are certainly advantages to BH versus T7 but the cost for 10 ounces out weighs some of them for me.

One f the biggest factors is the dreaded 'crud ring' formed after shooting T7 with a 209 primer. The effects of the 'crud ring' cam be reduced with some maintenance changes. But.... it will always be a factor after a given number of shots. During hunting season when I am using T7 it is not normally a problem at all. I can shoot 4 -5 shots before it becomes a factor. And when range shooting it is not a factor at all. Patching between shots is easy and help keep the temp of the barrel down.

.....It's dirtier than I expected after hearing how clean burning it is. It's also harder to work with when pouring charges into vials, barrel, etc. based on the shape of the granules. Loose 777 is still one of my favorites as the cleanup is so easy...

My experiences:

Triple 7 is easier to clean after returning home, and preparing the rifle for the closet.

Blackhorn is easier to clean between shots; none required. Seems like Blackhorn actually lubricates the barrel for easier reloading.

The powders are equal easy to work with, measure, pour, etc.

Blackhorn provides more bullet speed per load.

Blackhorn prices are absurd.

Blackhorn makes for easier breech plug removal, without forethought.

This hunter is old, and weak, thus goes out carrying light. Blackhorn requires no cleaning paraphernalia, thus Blackhorn is used for hunting.

Absurd Blackhorn prices dictate this shooter use 777 for play/practice. Charges are balanced for equal bullet speeds; more 777 powder than Blackhorn powder.

I find 777 to be accurate and dependable, never had a hang fire with it, I have with black horn, I don’t mind cleaning the barrel between shots it lets my barrel cool . I always hunt on a clean gun , so I clean it pretty good between shots. as Ron said the price of bh is getting ridiculous. I have 6 lbs of 777 and 2 cans bh so I probably won’t shoot the bh , might be able to sell it and make some money lol , it shoots good though

Lately i havent seen T7 powder in stock. I havent really looked hard, to find it because i have plenty of T7 and BH but all i see has been pellets.

I'm not knocking BH at all. I just find T7 works with everything I have. Granted, I don't have anything particularly "modern".

If you can find it local, buy it. I have a decent supply on hand. Last time I was at the local ACE Hardware they had T7 powder, but wanted over $50 for a pound. I would have liked another bottle, but not at that price.

Latest posts

Back