Another Illinois hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bewalter

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a long time deer hunter who is looking to start with muzzle loading. I hunt every year in Fulton County. I joined to try and get opinions on which rifle to purchase and then on loads and bullets.

Good hunting to all,
Bill

Bill - Welcome to the forum. Its great to have you here. What rifle to buy is a loaded question really. In Illinois I believe there are no requirements as to powder, projectile, or ignition systems. So what rifle to buy depends on how much you want to spend.

Some excellent rifles are; Savage ML-II a true smokeless rifle. Great for long range shooting with the right optics. Then you have the Thompson Center line with the Encore, Pro Hunter, Omega, and the new Triumph. Again, top quality rifles, able to shoot long distances with good optics, easy to clean and maintain, and an excellent company should you need customer service. Another outstanding company is Knight. They have numerous long range rifles out there. The Knight Disc Extreme, Long Range Hunter, Knight Disc, Rolling Block, KP1, and the Bighorn and Wolverine... all of them can do the job.

Like I said, the price you want to spend, and what kind of action or design you want. Look as some of the different sights, if you see something that interests you all you need do is ask. Anything we can help you with, just ask.

Back