Hello from Iowa

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HockeyStick

Reaction score
Hello community members! It's great to be here.

I'm a new resident of the state of Iowa and decided to get back into hunting after a 15-year hiatus. I harvested a nice 8-point buck during this last shotgun season and I am hooked! Started doing some research on modern muzzleloaders after I learned of Iowa's early muzzleloader season. It seems like a huge advantage to head out into the woods nearly two months before the shotgun hunters (plus, it's warmer in October than it is in December).

I had the opportunity to purchase an in-line ML at a bargain price from my wife's uncle. It's a Traditions Tracker 209 that he never hunted with and only fired a few times. Most of the pictures of the same model online have a black stock with blued barrel. This one has a RealTree stock with what appears to be a nickel-plated barrel. It seems like a decent, entry-level ML. So yeah, I was happy to take it off his hands and I'm excited to try it myself!

Anyway, having lurked on this forum for a bit during my research, I deemed it fitting to officially join the community. I look forward to engaging with fellow members and sharing my experiences!

-HS

Welcome from Michigan, I went to Iowa deer hunting for the first time this year. It was awesome. I’ll be back!
Thanks! I’m located south of Iowa City.
I've got a friend whose son lives down that way and owns some land. If I remember something like eighty acres. He's shot some real bruisers. One buck he shot was a booner. I've got some Federal 209A primers for sale if your interested.

Very nice. You must have some monster deer in your region.
All of Iowa has good deer, and good deer huntiing. The Iowa DNR has acquired a large amount of acreage for all types of hunting. Sad thing is that the Pheasant and Quail population is a mere shadow of what it once was. Where are you from ?

All of Iowa has good deer, and good deer huntiing. The Iowa DNR has acquired a large amount of acreage for all types of hunting. Sad thing is that the Pheasant and Quail population is a mere shadow of what it once was. Where are you from ?
The public hunting spots here are great! It will probably take years before I've tried out all the spots near me. I live in Kalona.

We ran into a lot of other hunters on the public land during the shotgun season. It was my first time witnessing hunters drive/push deer as a team. That's definitely not my method of hunting, but I understand why people do it that way because it's effective. I'm more of a "sit and wait" style of hunter. It's less work, and I get to enjoy the wilderness better IMO

Back