Adventures of a Rookie Reloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RonC said:
The only cartridge I reload, now, is .45 Colt.
9mm has been inexpensive enough locally and online that it just doesn't pay (time, price and energy) for me to reload...........
If I start to shoot 7.5 x 55 and 6.5 x 55 more, then I might get back to reloading those calibers.
Ron
Agreed, I'm finding 9mm for under $10 bucks a box here. 6.5 is a different story.....   :scratch:

I reload several different calibers
20160710.jpg

The only reason I reload 9mm is for protection. I use them in a couple of compact, concealable pistols. I use hollow point frangible bullets with powder charges large enough to make these bullets expand reliably. You can't find those cartridges for under $10/box. They cost more than $1/cartridge and I can reload them for less than that. Lehigh ammo costs $1.65/round. That's $33/box of 20 cartridges.

Bob the one thing to consider is a possible lawsuit, one that went bad a few years ago for a reloader back East was him using his home grown ammo for his protection. He killed the bad guy but that person's family files a lawsuit that his ammo was meant to do more than average damage than over the over the counter stuff. The poor guy spent a lot of money on attorney fees and still lost the case costing more $$$ for the bad guy's family to enjoy. Not fair but it can happen. 

At an NRA training section we were told when you pull the trigger, the first thing you do is call your attorney, then call the police and say nothing and wait for your attorney to arrive. Your going to spend a lot of $$$ on what has happened.

Buck, if someone is trying to kill or rob me, I'll fire as soon as I can and worry about consequences later.

I've been in more than one situation where someone pulled a weapon on me. Once, the guy even shot at me. I didn't have a weapon in those encounters. I have since 'wised up'.

"I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by six."

Buck Conner said:
Bob the one thing to consider is a possible lawsuit, one that went bad a few years ago for a reloader back East was him using his home grown ammo for his protection. He killed the bad guy but that person's family files a lawsuit that his ammo was meant to do more than average damage than over the over the counter stuff. The poor guy spent a lot of money on attorney fees and still lost the case costing more $$$ for the bad guy's family to enjoy. Not fair but it can happen. 

At an NRA training section we were told when you pull the trigger, the first thing you do is call your attorney, then call the police and say nothing and wait for your attorney to arrive. Your going to spend a lot of $$$ on what has happened.
I was taught many years ago in a certified Personal Protection Training Course that if you believe your life is truly in danger you fire until the threat has stopped.

What's the difference between several fatal rounds through the attacker and one apparently very lethal round :?:

Nice set-up mark1945.  

Do you use the same bullet for the 45-70, 45-90 and the 45-120 :?:

I use a 405 cast for the 45/70 and 45/90 but have a 515 cast I use for the 45/120 both are from Lee molds. Thanks for liking my die set up if I ever get my bench presentable again Ill will post a pic of it but right now its a mess building a Traditions Mountain kit.

Back