Adventures of a Rookie Reloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My load book says you case length is good to go.  2.255 is max.

As noted, check max OAL using a non-primed no powder case, and the bullet you intend to use.  I find splitting the case mouth makes it easier.  Some guys try to get the bullet to within a few mils of the lands, but I think that is not needed and, if you have any variation in loading, can be dangerous.  In 348 Win, I load .025 short of max and am shooting 1" groups at 50 yards with iron sights.

I followed your suggestions about the unprimed case. 
I am in good shape.

This led to another advance question as I am not loading this bullet now. 
I have some very exciting Australian .348 Win 250 grain bullets made by 
Woodleigh.

:?:
They are longer to the crimp line than the Hornady. Is is OK that they 
reach the shoulders of the neck?

Thanks.

Usually yes. It depends on how full your case is with powder. If it presses down in the powder too much, it can raise internal pressure.

It is not usually necessary to crimp the case in the bullet's cannelure but with a lever action it's a good idea since you have a tubular magazine and the unfired shells are subjected to recoil.

("I cut a small angle in the lip of the mouth of the case to aid bullet seating today."

That's called a chamfer.)

Chamfur. Check!

I am playing with the powder scale tonight. 

I also got my Woodleigh loading manual in the mail today. 
They recommend a range of loads using their 250 grain bullet 
and IMR 4320. 45.0 grains (2040 fps) to 56 grains (2260). 

As the recommended velocity of this bullet is a minimum 2000 fps? 
I will not use the bare minimum. I am thinking of loading it with 46.0 
grains.

Sounds like you've got it going!

Things to check:
1.  Drop in the powder.  Measure and make sure you don't push the bullet in so far that it "compresses" the powder.

2.  As mentioned before, be sure the bullet (as loaded) does not touch the rifling.  If so, it'll build up pressure and you might not have such a nice day at the range!

Ain't this fun!?  I love working up loads.

Aren't Woodleigh bullets pretty expensive? I know they are used on dangerous game in Africa and cost a lot. I believe they are even more expensive than Barnes bullets.
Why use them for load development? I'd use the cheaper Hornady or even Barnes bullets. Save the Woodleighs for bison, cape buffalo, and 300 lb. boar hogs.

I would load 3 bullets starting at 48 gr. of 4320, 3 at 48.5gr, 3 at 49, etc.
One load will be more accurate than the others. Load the rest of the bullets to that accurate loading.

If the gun's lever gets hard to open or the primers are flattened, back off a bit. Those are signs of too much pressure and are dangerous loads.

"Ain't this fun!? I love working up loads."

Yep. It is inexplicable fun. I did not think it would be, honestly. It is like I am dreaming of every shot I might get to take while building them. I have also enjoyed you guys' comments about the loading. It is like a hunting camp at home.

"Sounds like you've got it going!"

We can not cheer, yet. My powder trickler directions say I should take it completely apart and clean it before using it. Is this really necessary? Taking it apart is just another freaking puzzle with poor directions.

"Aren't Woodleigh bullets pretty expensive?"

The Hornady were 41.99. The Woodleigh were 61.99.

"I'd use the cheaper Hornady or even Barnes bullets."

That is because you are smart and practical. :D

Why use them for load development? Save the Woodleighs for bison, cape buffalo, and 300 lb. boar hogs.

1. Well, for a time, I was concerned about finding ANY bullets. I grabbed what I could find. Your Huntington site is the first company I have found that did not list Barnes as completely sold out. Since Huntington is back ordered on a lot? I bet they are out, too. (I did find a fourth brand option, but it was not as exciting.)

2. I prefer the flat nose traditionally used with this rifle's tube load. I also dislike the polymer tips on the Hornadys. It is an aesthetic thing. I am sure they will work fine.

3. There is a certain amount of fun and romance in having an Australian bullet. I get to imagine going all Quigley Down Under and taking down those bison and cape buffalo (Africa?). As to the 300 pound hog, I don't think you can predict when you are gonna find that big pig. May as well be prepared! 

4. It is nice to have the heavy grain weight. I did buy a cannon. Where is the fun in not letting it bark? And, I KNOW nobody else has THIS load! That is fun, too.

5. When I do go after those bigger critters, I want to have worked all the quirks out BEFORE I face that cape buffalo or griz! 
6. The Woodleigh bullets have a really terrific graphic of a charging elephant. How could I resist that?  :geek: 

Yep. This has been fun. I just need to sort that powder trickler and next stop... the range!  :shooter:

We can not cheer, yet. My powder trickler directions say I should take it completely apart and clean it before using it. Is this really necessary? Taking it apart is just another freaking puzzle with poor directions.

Probably.  There is likely some luibe or preservative that would cause the powder to stick.

Old Smoke said:
Probably.  There is likely some luibe or preservative that would cause the powder to stick.
Bugger. I could not see an easy way to do that. Ah, well... more puzzles... :cry:

My powder trickler only has 3 parts, a body, an O-ring, and a hollow shaft. It is VERY simply made.

You can wash it down with alcohol.  That's about all mine needed.

I actually made the mistake of lubing it once.  Really stupid on my part.

Ha! W/ Smoke. If I can not get it unassembled, I may try this alcohol thing.

Bob, it looks like it should be simple. But, when I attempt to disassemble, 
there is something holding the adjustable stem that controls how much powder 
it dispenses in the cylinder. I have unscrewed everything I can see.

Mine also came with a second center cylinder. What is that about? 

I will keep tinkering.

PS. I tinkered for quite a while. The main stem with the numbers on it is still 
held by-and-in the cylinder. All outer nuts and screws are off. Something is holding 
the end in the cylinder from inside the cylinder where I can't get at it. (If I 
got it off, IDK how I would reconnect it there.

Trickler_zpscvunkawl.jpg

That is NOT a powder trickler, that is a powder measure/dispenser. Whole different ball game.

This is a powder trickler:

169955.jpg

Ha!  You're right, of course. KC's "device" is a powder measure and not a trickler.  Cannot believe I did not catch that.

patocazador said:
That is NOT a powder trickler, that is a powder measure/dispenser. Whole different ball game.

This is a powder trickler:

169955.jpg
Ah. Well, that is good to know. I have been calling a pig a cow! Noted. 
Now I know why Bob thought I was a simpleton. THAT is way easy to 
fool with. :rabbit:

Mischief/Puck points go to John Nelson for being entertained by the tail chasing going on 
while all the while staying quiet. I have camped with scamps like you! :scratch:

I have solved my powder measure/dispenser puzzle. After staring at the 
dang thing and trying not to curse... too much... I figured it out. 

:study:
No. The directions were of no use. They tell you what you need to do, but 
rarely how.

There was NO additional screw in the powder measure/dispenser cylinder even 
though that is what it felt like. It was a flat head. See visual aid below:

Measure_zpslpenwc2p.jpg

The secret trick? It does not look like it can, but IF you turn it upside down with the cylinder 
in exactly the right spot, the whole screw WILL drop out via the plastic tube at the top of the 
dispenser. (I TOLD you this was a puzzle.)

This also taught me why I was given TWO black cylinders. The installed one has a much wider 
hole for powder. The second smaller one must be used for smaller calibre powder dispensing. 

So, now that this mystery is solved, I will clean. I assume isopropyl alcohol will do the trick?

Latest posts

Back