A Good KP1 Report...LOOK here,UC.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a pic of the plugs...

FPJ Elite/Extreme NFPJ Elite/Extreme Adaptor Elite/Extreme New Knight Vision. The threads match.

KnightPlugs.jpg

Looks to me like the Vision plug is nearly identical to the one Gordy sent Spitpatch.

Underclocked said:
Looks to me like the Vision plug is nearly identical to the one Gordy sent Spitpatch.

As I said in one of my post...Gordy said it is the same plug he sent Grouse, to cure his BH209 woes.
I will try to get the info you request.

OK...
I measured again....

Here are the OAL results, with a Win 209 inserted:

New Gordy Flat faced plug....1.725

NFPJ 209 Conversion plug.....1.738

That is as close as I can measure, given the calipers cannot be placed perfectly square over the latter plug because of the domed face.....

Hope this helps

Thanks spit!

I was hoping the NEW plug was .010" longer than the NFPJ Disc Plug. Then I would have had to just turn part (maybe about 1/3rd) of the hex off.

The NFPJ Disc Plugs have as much as that .010" play as it is, with that plug it would be .020" or so. Was trying to get away from the o-ring. I guess a guy could drill out the flame channel like you said to 11/64", and give that a whirl. It may just work fine with the domed plug, the flash hole is the same size.

Close, but no cigar!

Thanks again

UC

It is the same plug... He sent it Tom along tiime ago, when tom complained about the blowback... All the new Visons that Sportsmans got have the new plug installed.

Spitpatch said:
All I know is it turned my KP into a miracle machine!!! :lol: 8)

Spit,

It could also be those Alcan primers that are controlling a lot of the blowback like you said. It is a lot harder for it to work around square corners than it is rounded ones.

Have you tried the Alcan Primers in your disc rifles with the NFPJ conversion? If so, what were the results?

Thanks!

Busta said:
Spitpatch said:

Spit,

It could also be those Alcan primers that are controlling a lot of the blowback like you said. It is a lot harder for it to work around square corners than it is rounded ones.

Have you tried the Alcan Primers in your disc rifles with the NFPJ conversion? If so, what were the results?

Thanks!

Busta.. I will answer that AFTER I buy up all available Alcan Max-Fires in the country. :wink:

I will do some testing this weekend.

:)

How long are the Alcans vs a Win209? Longer, shorter, exact and precise measurement? 8)

Underclocked said:
How long are the Alcans vs a Win209? Longer, shorter, exact and precise measurement? 8)

RUB IT IN........RICH!!!
:roll:

Be right back 8)

Spitpatch said:

Hey Spitpatch,
How old is your KP1? I wonder what the newest ones on the shelf come with now? :?:

Underclocked said:
So not much difference in length at all. Thanks.

Not until you measure the next ones in the box. I don't know about the Alcans, but the Win W209 ususally run between .300" to .305", and the Fed 209A and CCI's usually run between .295" and .299".

Now I can't wait....this week end I will do some testing. I'll try the other primers in the KP1 just to verify the plug.

Then I will use the Alcans in the 45 Elite with the nfpj conversion and 120 gr. BH209 and see if they do better.

Spitpatch said:
Now I can't wait....this week end I will do some testing. I'll try the other primers in the KP1 just to verify the plug.

Then I will use the Alcans in the 45 Elite with the nfpj conversion and 120 gr. BH209 and see if they do better.

I tried the Alcans with 120 BH, in the NFPJ 209 conversion (in my 45 cal. Long Range Elite Magilla Slapper), and they had to be forced by the bolt into the primer pocket, and the ruptured so severely I had to disassemble the bolt to remove the cap of the primer from the inside of the bolt.

They are just large enough they do not work in the conversion plug nipple.

After the first ruptured shot, i finished my 3 shot group of 200 grain XTP's inside smooth blue Harvesters, with Winchester 209's. For which the plug was developed.....here is the group:

SANY1066.jpg

I also fired the Alcans again from the KP1, followed by Federal 209's, CCI's, and Winchester 209's. Again, the Alcans were the best with respect to blowback, followed by CCI's, Federals, and Winchesters.

I have determined that the Alcans worked the best in this gun.

However, there was MINIMAL blowback from all the rest. Just very little and could be cleaned with a Q-Tip dipped in Hoppes.

The secret it appears is in the breech plug design and size....

SANY1065.jpg

The bottom two tight holes are with the Alcans.
No swabbing in either group.

Spit,

Thanks for the update, the .45's are hard on primers with 120 grain loads.

Maybe a 11/64th drill could answer the plug issue for us. I may have to sacrifice one more of my NFPJ plugs in the name of science. I have 4 of them, but one is already in another experimental stage. :lol:

Good thinking....the balls in your court...can't wait for the report, Busta. :)
Go for it!!

Spit

The more I sit and think about our discussion on the phone a few minute ago - the more I can explain, to myself, what you are talking about when you mention the size of the flash channel leading to the flash hole. The size (volume) of the channel might be able to consume a lot of the possible blow back b4 it pushes the primer out and when the bullet leaves the bore. In addition the after the bullets leaves there should be a vortex created that will pull some of the BB gas from the breech plug...

Makes it easier for me to understand why that plug migh be so much cleaner...

Back