45 Cal barrel wont shoot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a beautiful 45 Cal TC Seneca barrel that I can't get any accuracy from. I have tried every Patch, Ball, Lube and Powder Charge combo I can come up with and it is consistently high with intermittent fliers. Barrel is fitted tightly with no slop, and I can find no defects in the barrel. I even tried some saboted loads and conicals, sane results. Am going to contact Bobby Hoyt and see if a reline is possible with this 13/16ths 45 Cal barrel.

I have a beautiful 45 Cal TC Seneca barrel that I can't get any accuracy from. I have tried every Patch, Ball, Lube and Powder Charge combo I can come up with and it is consistently high with intermittent fliers. Barrel is fitted tightly with no slop, and I can find no defects in the barrel. I even tried some saboted loads and conicals, sane results. Am going to contact Bobby Hoyt and see if a reline is possible with this 13/16ths 45 Cal barrel.
Have you tried a felt wad over the powder charge? What loads are you using? Lastly, have you tried a higher front sight?

Didnt bother with higher front sight due to the fliers. I have tried felt wad with no improvement. Have tried numerous patch, ball, lube and powder combos with no noticeable difference.

How big is the hole in your nipple?

What size balls have you tried?

What lubes?

What is the depth of your rifling?

Have tried new nipples from Track of the Wolf. .440 and.445 balls. As far as lubes I have tried Mink Oil, Hoppes BP Lube, Spit patch, Ballistol and water and A couple others. Have tried a dozen or more types and thicknesses of patches

The first thing I would check is barrel straightness.

Do you have a bore scope?
After reading the OP's replies to the suggestions, I have one more before giving up the ghost and seeking out Mr. Hoyt. Spend some time with a tightly patched jag with JB Bore Paste. Scrub the bore from breech to muzzle a good 100 strokes adding additional bore paste as needed. If this doesn't solve the problem then, send the barrel off to Bobby Hoyt for a relining. The best part of going this route is that you will be able to request the rifling that you wish for shooting round ball or conicals or both.

Latest posts

Back