1:36 twist SMI .50

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rangeball

Reaction score
Getting ready to order a smokeless barrel for my H&R from SMI. Spent about a half hour on the phone this morning with Dan. Based on my planned loads of 200-300 grain saboted .45 bullets at 2000-2800 fps, Dan strongly recommends their standard 1:36 twist, saying he routinely gets clover leafs at 100 yards with it.

I was all set to go with 1:22. According to Dan, all this will net me with these weight bullets is the potential for more sabot stripping and fouling.

He was pretty convincing. I can't imagine ever hunting anything with the SMI that a 300 grain bullet over 2000 fps couldn't handle easily.

Any reason not to go with 1:36? Anyone having good success with these weight bullets at these speeds from a .50 1:36?

Ron and Joe talked me in to a 1/36 50cal for my homemade smokeless and i have never be happier!!! if over 2" at 200yds i screwed up the group Ron and his gang know smokeless have fun clint

Clint, what bullets with what load of what powder at what fps?

Rangeball,
Have you settled on the type of breechplug you'll get?
Only ask because I've seen discussion of this here: earlier design, updated, with or without ventliner, etc.

I'd like to, at some point get a .45 from them (some have to be different!) and am considering 1:32 twist for it.

I posted in "Smokeless Alternative" just before it was shut down.
Had also, previous to joining here, been in touch with Terry "SavageBrother" indirectly through my buddy and tried to reach him here to no avail.
So any and all experience with SMI is of keen interest to me

Good Luck and let us know how you make out! :)

Hammerspur said:
Rangeball,
Have you settled on the type of breechplug you'll get?
Only ask because I've seen discussion of this here: earlier design, updated, with or without ventliner, etc.

I'd like to, at some point get a .45 from them (some have to be different!) and am considering 1:32 twist for it.

I posted in "Smokeless Alternative" just before it was shut down.
Had also, previous to joining here, been in touch with Terry "SavageBrother" indirectly through my buddy and tried to reach him here to no avail.
So any and all experience with SMI is of keen interest to me

Good Luck and let us know how you make out! :)
Terry has a plug modified for the Savage vents, same here.

my load is a old slow but a goodie 300 rem .458 hhp/42 /sr4759 /mmp 0range / win209 3"hi at100yds 5"low at200yds sofar 12deer in the last 4years all but 2 where boomflops 2 traveled about 30yds each clint

Clint, thanks, that load sounds plenty good for my purposes. I'm actually looking to shoot a 250 or lighter bullet a bit faster, but not pushing the speed envelope like many do. Nothing wrong with that, just not what I need where I hunt.

Hammer, I did discuss the bp with them. They told me they would put whatever I wanted in it, but unless I planned on shooting a really fast powder that caused premature burn wear nothing more than their standard breech plug is necessary and only added cost.

Anyone have any thoughts on the 1:36 twist they recommend? Running some of the bullets I'd like to shoot through a twist rate calculator, I keep coming up with a faster twist needed, between 28 and 34, depending on length and speed, but they swear 36 is all I'll ever need. Sure would like more input on this point as I was totally convinced before talking to them that I needed to go much faster.

Rangeball said:
Hammer, I did discuss the bp with them. They told me they would put whatever I wanted in it, but unless I planned on shooting a really fast powder that caused premature burn wear nothing more than their standard breech plug is necessary and only added cost.

Fast powder? Isn't the improved breechplug required for attaining fast projectile velocity using more slow powder?

I have no idea, just relaying what they told me yesterday.

Looks like I'm gonna get the original bp and take up a buddy's offer to modify it for me so wear should no longer be a concern.

Pretty well also decided between searching old post here and at the savage forum to go with 1:22 twist for my barrel. Now just need to figure out how to address the contour to get the weight down :(

My barrel for my Encore is the standard 1:36 twist. My experiences have been very good with many different bullet/sabot combinations and powders. As a matter a fact I have shot very few 3 shot groups over about 2.0", with the good ones an inch or better at 100 yards. Have shot bullets from 200 to 300 grains with no stability problems with velocity 2,000 to around 2,700 fps.
Don't sweat it, you won't be sorry with this twist rate. I also can tell you, these guys know what they're talking about at SMI.......

Rangeball said:
I have no idea, just relaying what they told me yesterday.

Looks like I'm gonna get the original bp and take up a buddy's offer to modify it for me so wear should no longer be a concern.

Pretty well also decided between searching old post here and at the savage forum to go with 1:22 twist for my barrel. Now just need to figure out how to address the contour to get the weight down :(

Go with 1:22 twist barrel just dump the 50 cal idea and get a 45.

I thought long and hard on the .45, and in the end, decided the .50 was the better choice for my needs.

Am going 1:22 though :)

im curious how the 1:22 twist .50 worked out?

i just recieved my 1:22 twist .45 a couple weeks ago and as im figuring out what it likes, seems my desire to go sabotless is working as good as, or better than i thought.

im also curious if anyone else with a .45 SMI has any load info to share

moto357 said:
im curious how the 1:22 twist .50 worked out?

i just recieved my 1:22 twist .45 a couple weeks ago and as im figuring out what it likes, seems my desire to go sabotless is working as good as, or better than i thought.

im also curious if anyone else with a .45 SMI has any load info to share
59gr H4198 with a 250 BE-2600fps

56gr H4198-275 BE-2500fps

57gr Rel 7-275 BE-2450fps

57gr H4198-250 XTP-2500fps

53.5gr H4198-300 XTP or SST-2300fps

twist too fast

I am wondering what the downside is to having a barrel with too fast of a twist rate for the load?

Doug

Latest posts

Back