Winchester X-150 - 300gr Speer Gold Dots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Winchester X-150 - 300gr Speer Gold Dots

What the hell! I felt like making some smoke with the ol Winchester X-150 today.
100-3171.jpg

100-3173.jpg

Trying out a new hotter load with the 300gr Speer Gold Dot sabots. I use Traditions EZ Load sabots with the .451" bullets. CCI Magnum Primers were also used as they are all I have left and do a fantastic job without leaving much crud behind in the bore. 100gr Alliant Black MZ Powder was used and the sabot was firmly seated on top.

My first shot on a fresh bore was high as usual. This really sucks for hunting, but maybe I can figure out a way to tame it down.

All shooting was done from 50 yards.

Next 3 shots were right in the bullseye and grouping great! OR SO I THOUGHT!
100-3166.jpg

Next, I decided to do what I hate the most... Swab between shots... I just aimed at the corner edge of the orange and took my first shot, then used that as my aiming point from then on. First 3 shots, Swabbed
100-3169.jpg

5 Swabbed Shots total,
100-3172.jpg

Re: Winchester X-150 - 300gr Speer Gold Dots

What was your swabbing routine?

Just a snug fitting patch moistened in the mouth. Shoot then swab.

Got out to 100 yards today. It was a little breezy at times, but still an overall great day to go shooting.

All shooting was done off the Birchwood Casey Nest Rest shooting rest.
100-3180.jpg

Same load, 100gr Alliant Black MZ, Traditions EZ Load sabots, .300gr Speer Gold Dots, CCI 209M primers.
100-3183.jpg

I did swab between each shot with a damp patch. There were 2 occasions however, and these 2 shots will show up easily on the target, where I actually ran 2 wet patches down the bore to really clean it out well. It did not like this at all and threw both shots out of the group. After that, I wet a patch and squeezed the living heck out of it until it was just damp.

Black MZ is very sensitive to bore condition, especially on a completely cleaned bore.

Today I swabbed the bore with a new cleaner/patch lube I am working on, it removed the slight crud ring at the bottom of the bore with ease and I completely cleaned the rifle at the end of the day with the stuff!
100-3178.jpg

Looking through my Nikon Buckmasters II 4-12x40 scope from 100 yards you can see my first 2 shots.
100-3184.jpg

100-3185.jpg

The large hole contains 7 shots, the other 2 shots, one high, one low, were the shots where I fully cleaned the bore of fouling and these are the results.
100-3189.jpg

Overall, One hell of a day! Maybe tomorrow I can get out and try the 300gr Hornady XTP Mags. Although I do have some Thors sitting in the closet.....Hmmmmm.

Thorough range report FG.  Lots of good info. :ttups:   Great to see sabot shooting with powder other that BH209.

Latest posts

Back