Iron Hunting Sights for TC Renegade

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To hunt in Montana's Heritage Muzzle Loader Season, you have to use a sidelock rifle with loose powder, full-bore pure lead bullets (no sabots, skirts, gas checks, etc.), and no optical magnification devices. If I remember the little flyer MT FWP put out on weapon restriction for the Heritage season, fiber optic and red dot sights aren't legal either. Last year I had a gunsmith mount a Skinner peep as close to my eye as possible on the barrel of my .50 cal Renegade, but while working on an elk load last December, I found that the factory 3/32 front bead was too coarse for precision aiming, even with the peep. In Western MT these days most mountain deer and elk hunting is done in fairly heavy timber, so I like the ruggedness and brush-hardiness of a simple barrel-mounted peep and a front blade, as opposed to a front globe, but I want something which is better for precise aming than the big bead - for benchrest load development shooting and target practice, as well as for still-hunting in the timber.

One specific issue I encountered while shooting at targets with the Skinner peep and the factory bead is that while it's possible to be fairly precise by putting the top of the bead on the desired point of aim, my eye wants to center both the point of aim and the bead in the peep, and it took constant effort to correct that natural tendency. I suspect that varying degrees of success in correcting this natural tendency led to a fair amount of vertical dispersion in where my shots were landing. Another issue is that the top of a 3/32 peep is fairly wide and flat, so it was hard to know then I was horizontally aligned with the desired point of aim. Together, I suspect that these two aiming precision issues accounted for quite a bit of my difficulty in shooting groups that were much tighter than 2 inches at 50 yards while developing hunting loads last December.

Last fall, then, I orderd a Skinner Patridge blade sight, which has a blade thickness of 1/16th of an inch. That's an improvement over the factory bead, but I was still hoping for more precision, as well as for a front sight which allows for precision aiming while the front sight and the target are both centered in the peep. To that end, I filed a "roof" on the blade of the Patridge blade, so that it appears as a sharp-topped post when I view it through the peep. See the photos below. Then I painted the sight a bright neon green with Birchwood Casey sight paint pens.

Last night I installed the new sight on my Renegade. While I won't be able to shoot it until our MT winter recedes a bit, I find the new sight system to be much more precise when I'm dry firing indoors, and I'm finding that my eye naturally aligns the point of aim and the pointed post top in the center of the peep. I particularly like the contrast between the green sight post, and a small orange center on a big black bullseye. Because we have lots of deer in our yard every day during the winter, I'm also able to test the visibility of the sight on game during a variety of light, snow cover, and other background conditions.

So far, I'm liking what I see, so in case others are looking for precision iron sight options for their hunting, I thought I'd post the discussion of why I chose these sights, and the photos below. I couldn't get my I-Phone camera to focus on both the front sight and the target at the same time, so in the photo the sight appears fairly fuzzy. When sighting through the peep, though, I find that I can easily see the point on top of the front post, and that the point definitely helps me refine the horizontal component of my aiming. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1980 (1).jpg
    IMG_1980 (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1981.jpg
    IMG_1981.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1982.jpg
    IMG_1982.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1984.jpg
    IMG_1984.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I like the Skinner sights. I added one to my Marlin 39a and this season I can't shoot it consistently. It really bothered me, I changed to numerous front sights but my eyes just can't get it done now. Scope on it now for precise shooting. Enjoy the Renegade
Getting old is hell… but it beats the only known alternative! My 67 year-old eyes don’t cope with iron sights too well anymore either, but if I’m gonna hunt MT’s Heritage ML season - which can be really great if December snow pushes big bucks and bulls to lower elevations - I’ve gotta find a way to make iron sights work.

Nice but I would have used white and only paint the triangle formed by the top of the front sight.
I may end up doing exactly what you're suggesting. Having a nice small green spot on top of a white post would work well, although it might be a little difficult to pick up a front sight like that when hunting in snow.

Great Idea!
I did the same thing with one of my front sights in the past. (Filing it to a point and panting it.) It worked pretty good in combination with my peep sight. If I was not able to use fiber optics sights where I hunt, I would be filing down and painting a lot of my sights.

although it might be a little difficult to pick up a front sight like that when hunting in snow.
Not if you have the white on top and on the animal. With all my sidelocks I use a semi-buckhorn with a white line (some come with a diamond) on the rear sight and an ivory bead front sight. Alignment is easy and fast. I've used a peep in the past and although great on the range I've found the semi-buckhorn sight better at dawn and dusk under a heavy canopy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240209-094622_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240209-094622_Google.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Not if you have the white on top and on the animal. With all my sidelocks I use a semi-buckhorn with a white line (some come with a diamond) on the rear sight and an ivory bead front sight. Alignment is easy and fast. I've used a peep in the past and although great on the range I've found the semi-buckhorn sight better at dawn and dusk under a heavy canopy.
which one is this?? I have a hawken that i may resight......

Everybody's eyes are different... I haven't been able to shoot decently with semi-buckhorn rear sights, or any other kind of notched rear sight, since my eyes started aging at about 45.

Conversely, I've always found a peep with a fairly large aperture that's mounted close to my eye (as on Army M-16s) combined with a post front sight to be the quickest and best in low light of all iron sights - and for me, a large-aperture peep/post system has always been at least as accurate as any kind of notched rear sight. While a peep/post system with a small aperture has always been the most accurate of iron sights for me, I've never done well with small-aperture peeps in low light, or where quick target acquisition is important.

As you might expect, the Army has researched and tested this extensively over many years, and has found that for most people, a large-aperture peep/post sight, offers the best combination of accuracy + quick target acquisition in all lighting conditions. That finding seems to be changing with the advent optical red dot sights which are rugged enough for battle rifles, but that's a whole 'nother category of sight.

Nevertheless, some people do shoot better with notched rear sights. It sounds like you're one of them, and I respect that.

Yes when I did use a peep I would remove the aperture for low light leaving me a ghost ring which probably would have been more than sufficient. I'm just so use to shooting open sights even at 70 because its what I was brought up with.

After using peep sights for over 70 years and knowing the rifle, remove the peep insert for hunting. My favorite time hunting elk was in a blinding snow storm. Your eye should automatically center in the peep, just put the sight on the target. I shoot with both eyes open when using a peep. Try it.

Yes when I did use a peep I would remove the aperture for low light leaving me a ghost ring which probably would have been more than sufficient. I'm just so use to shooting open sights even at 70 because its what I was brought up with.
I was brought up the same way except with the addition of: the scopes that I purchased with my own cash. They were mostly TASCO and held up 30-40 years. And then there was the ten years in that great Uncle Sam's Misguided Children frat... I moved up from the M16A1 then the A2{hated that front post} then the M40A1 w/fixed 10X Unertl glass. But always with M67 rotary cuff back ups when you couldn't quite see 'em clearly or the critters were imbedded in unknown room layouts. Every time Newby tossed one and I asked, "anyone in there", he'd always smile and reply, "No one I know."

Hey WP79Vet, get'sum and God Bless.

I have several rifles carrying receiver peep sights but they are not muzzleloaders. They are lever/bolt rifles from .22LR up to .45/70. I learned quickly to remove the disc and use the "ghost ring" for any hunting. At the range those little discs are great for targets but for dark woods hunting they are worthless.

So far I've stuck with open iron sights on all my front stuffers (I retired from hunting about 7 years ago). I have yet to try peeps on my flintlocks and my current marksmanship is not near as good as it was 10 years ago. That's okay since I don't hunt and I don't mind merely wounding a paper target.

Back