Hornady ELD-X at 500 yards

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X-ring

Reaction score
The first target was fired at 200 yards while testing the ELD-X to see how accurate it was. Accuracy was excellent so I decided to shoot them on one day at the last mid-range match we have in Michigan. The other targets were fired at 500 yards. The 5 shot target was fired on Friday to get sight settings. Wind was a light fishtailing tailwind from 3-9 o'clock at 2-6 MPH. The 10 shot target was fired on Saturday during the match. Wind was fishtailing from 3-9 o'clock at 10-20 MPH. The 500 yard targets are facimiles. I plot each shot location when the target comes up from the pits after it is marked by the target puller. A squad of 3 people use the same target all day so you can't take the target home. The 500 yd. targets were fired from prone X-sticks. I was following NRA B.P. Target Rifle rules which allow you up to 4 sighting shots and 10 shots for score in 30 minutes. I was firing 2 sighters then going for score. [2 1/2 minutes per shot.]
.50 cal. Cooper model 22 M/L
Hornady 340 gr. bore driver ELD-X [bullets were actually 349 grains]
70 grains WEIGHT BH-209
Fed 209A primers
Wiped between shots
Nikon 3.5X14 scope set at 10X
NRA MR-65 500 yard target
The recovered bullets were dug out of the berm.
I found that the ELD-X bullets were easy to load and were very accurate IN MY RIFLE. As usual, your results may vary. X

Attachments

• DSC_0173.JPG
    DSC_0173.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0174.JPG
    DSC_0174.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0180.JPG
    DSC_0180.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0178.JPG
    DSC_0178.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
I’d take that anyday! Berm bunnies look good. Thanks for sharing this report!

The first target was fired at 200 yards while testing the ELD-X to see how accurate it was. Accuracy was excellent so I decided to shoot them on one day at the last mid-range match we have in Michigan. The other targets were fired at 500 yards. The 5 shot target was fired on Friday to get sight settings. Wind was a light fishtailing tailwind from 3-9 o'clock at 2-6 MPH. The 10 shot target was fired on Saturday during the match. Wind was fishtailing from 3-9 o'clock at 10-20 MPH. The 500 yard targets are facimiles. I plot each shot location when the target comes up from the pits after it is marked by the target puller. A squad of 3 people use the same target all day so you can't take the target home. The 500 yd. targets were fired from prone X-sticks. I was following NRA B.P. Target Rifle rules which allow you up to 4 sighting shots and 10 shots for score in 30 minutes. I was firing 2 sighters then going for score. [2 1/2 minutes per shot.]
70 grains WEIGHT BH-209
Fed 209A primers
Wiped between shots
I found that the ELD-X bullets were easy to load and were very accurate IN MY RIFLE. As usual, your results may vary. X
Brilliant!

Good shooting, your wind calls had to be spot on… working backwards through JBM velocity for 22moa elevation would be 2210fps and 1mph full value wind is worth 1.4 moa.
Was this the same range from your 600 yard line post this summer? That one looks like it’s well shielded and any wind that gets in will be a swirl.

good shooting, your wind calls had to be on… working backwards through JBM velocity for 22moa would be 2210fps. 1mph full value wind would be about 1.5moa

Last edited:
70 grains WEIGHT BH-209
Fed 209A primers
Wiped between shots
I've shot LR ML to 1000 yds, and your results are astounding. Great job, especially in that wind!!
Aloha, Ka'imiloa

Good shooting, your wind calls had to be spot on… working backwards through JBM velocity for 22moa elevation would be 2210fps and 1mph full value wind is worth 1.4 moa.
Was this the same range from your 600 yard line post this summer? That one looks like it’s well shielded and any wind that gets in will be a swirl.
Wondering how you came up with 2210fps?????

The bullet's BC is .315 as posted by Grafs and Hornady, unless there's another BC somewhere.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/99815https://www.hornady.com/muzzleloading/browse/50-cal-.499-340-gr-bore-driver-eld-x#!/
He's using BH at only 70grs by weight and a 349gr bullet, there's no way he's getting 2,210fps with 22moa at 500yds.

JBM indicates 1,960fps with 22moa. 500yds is also where the bullet goes sub-sonic.

1700958943668.png

I was trying to back into the velocity usin .315 bc and 22 moa at 500yds - guessed on overall length and plastic tip length . I don’t and likely never will shoot BH209 so have no experience to draw from there IMG_4345.jpeg

Last edited:
SOMETHING............ is way off and my suspicion is that it's the MOA used/suggested.

For example, I shoot the 350gr XLD, with a BC of .450 and........... with 100grs BY WEIGHT of BH209. That's an additional 30grs. The BC of the bore driver is just better than a rock.

My velocity averages 2,195fps (Magnetospeed V3) and it requires 18moa at 500yds. My JBM calculations are DEAD ON out to 1,000yds, as confirmed at Camp Atterbury.

Xring...... if you're still following the post, are you positive you were at 22moa with 70grs BH by weight and a 349gr bullet????

Is the bullet in the JBM library?(edited to add that i just looked and it is not) Like i said, i used the bc, weight, and diameter but did a swag on length and platic tip length. Beyond whether the velocity/powder charge is off, we arw both using the same BC but getting different results. There has to be something else in the differences in our parameters too.

Last edited:
Is the bullet in the JBM library? Like i said, i used the bc, weight, and diameter but did a swag on length and platic tip length. Beyond whether the velocity/powder charge is off, we arw both using the same BC but getting different results. There has to be something else in the differences in our parameters too.
Nope, not in the library. I'm only using trajectory and not including spin. I'm also getting my velocity only 3" (inches) from the barrel, not 10'. Magnetospeed V3.

The bullet, a 50cal, 350gr, doesn't have 2,200fps velocity with just 70grs of BH. Just no way you can send a 350gr bullet that fast with only 70gr W of BH. Paul was not using a chronograph, so there's no way to know the true velocity.

I'm sending a 350gr XLD with a BC of .450 G1, bullet to bore out of my custom and only attaining 2,195fps....... WITH 100grs BY WEIGHT (Lot#41) Paul's not getting 2,200fps with only 70grs.

Not debating the velocity at all…. Like I said, I was trying to back into it with minimal info. I’m trying to figure out how we get similar ballistics with different velocities using the same BC, diameter, and weight.

I have to be overlooking something in JBM.

Latest posts

Back