White Bison Loading Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the above rifle in a .540. I've shot 10-12 rounds with the Hornady GP 425 and Pyro RS before with perhaps one swab at the mid point.

Today, I go to shoot the same projectile but with Swiss 3F. On the third trip down the barrel my bullet jams up half way down. My sessions was over and I had to come home and literally hammer it out from the breech.

Question: Does real BP produce more fowling than RS? This is my first experience with the real stuff and didn't even get a chance to get going. Any other things I should know about real BP?

I don't know for sure but from what I have heard about the Swiss powder it should be cleaner than the Pyrodex and I would think the fouling would be pretty soft. Is there any chance that you still had some oil in your barrel? Sometimes oil and black powder isn't too good of a combination.
Myself, although I know a lot of conical shooters do it different from me, I swab between shots. Just a habit I guess, and it works for me.
Bummer that it messed up your range session.

I can't say about Swiss (yet) but I have shot Goex 3f in my Super 91 and it shoots great as long as I swab every other shot minimum. If not, the groups get bad in a hurry and loading gets increasingly difficult past 3-4 shots.

I seem to be able to go many more shots in a row without swabbing when using Pyrodex; either RS or P. Like flounder says, I get my best results when swabbing regularly at the range, especially w/ bp.

Be blessed.

It seems strange that the Swiss would foul out so fast. But sometimes you do need to swab. And remember, the White Rifle is made on a slip conical system. The Great Plains Conical is not a slip fit. So it makes sense that you run into some loading problems if you're not swabbing. I would go to No Excuses site and get me some of those 535 grain .54 caliber conicals. Also get a faster burning powder. The Swiss should work, I use Triple Seven 2f in my Whites. But with that No Excuses.. it should be slip fit, very accurate, and nothing wants to get in front of that train.

cayuga said:
It seems strange that the Swiss would foul out so fast. But sometimes you do need to swab. And remember, the White Rifle is made on a slip conical system. The Great Plains Conical is not a slip fit. So it makes sense that you run into some loading problems if you're not swabbing. I would go to No Excuses site and get me some of those 535 grain .54 caliber conicals. Also get a faster burning powder. The Swiss should work, I use Triple Seven 2f in my Whites. But with that No Excuses.. it should be slip fit, very accurate, and nothing wants to get in front of that train.

Thanks Guys,

What's the difference between the GP and a slip fit? I actually have some No Excuses I was gong to shoot for the next target.

They used to say that a White rifle could be loaded with two fingers. That means the slip fit conical slides that easy down the bore. The conical is the same size as the bore and when it is fired.. it expands and catches the rifling. The White rifle system was made to shoot conicals such as this in a very accurate manner. And that .54 caliber No Excuse would plant any creature you want to hunt.

flounder said:
I don't know for sure but from what I have heard about the Swiss powder it should be cleaner than the Pyrodex and I would think the fouling would be pretty soft. Is there any chance that you still had some oil in your barrel? Sometimes oil and black powder isn't too good of a combination.
Myself, although I know a lot of conical shooters do it different from me, I swab between shots. Just a habit I guess, and it works for me.
Bummer that it messed up your range session.
X2, I swab after every shot with pyrodex also. and get great accuracy with slip fit NE conicals. i personally never cared for the GP conicals and there large hollow point..and there a lot more difficult to load.

white5048-12006.jpg

If you get a chance, try some Triple Seven in the White. Mine loves the stuff.

The Bull Shop conical bullets come pre lubed. Dan.. the owner does a nice job. I forget what the number for the lube is, I just tell him its for a muzzleloader.

And 80 grains of Triple Seven 2f pushes them real nice. I was doing long distance that day with the rifle. Something I seldom do, because I really have no long distance shooting where I hunt. But with that load it did very well.

white5048-12014.jpg

after shooting those two, I did not try a third because I was sure I would have blown that group. But I did move back even further, and that's where the problems started to show up.

white5048-12018.jpg

That turkey was at 125 yards. And you can see the group is opening up on me. I had the scope set at 7x and could see the thing clear enough. And that would have been more then good to hunt at that distance. I could not get further then that on my range.

Latest posts

Back