3 Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentucky Colonel

Reaction score
I am sorry I have not been around much. Nothing bad has been going on. In fact, I have been having a lot of fun- interspersed with intense bouts of work. All of it time consuming.

I feel guilty... like I have not called home to check in with parents in a while. 
:lol!:

I could use a hand. My fall hunting plans have suddenly crystalized in a way I had not anticipated. This is why I suddenly have three questions. I'll be using rifles I had not intended to use.

I could Google, but chatting with you guys is more fun and usually more specific.

1. I need to file a front sight down a bit. I understand the theory and the process. I have never seen it done. Anyone got a video I can watch before I do it?

2. I will be using a BP percussion cap rifle that has been put up using RIG Universal grease to protect the barrel. I know that not all gun lubricant products work well with BP. Anything I should know as I clean it for firing?

3. I have unexpectedly acquired a lightly used 308 WIN American Ruger with Wolf Camo pattern stock, Harris mini bipod, Redhead adjustable sling, Nikon Gen2 Prostaff 2-7x32mm [font=Verdana, sans-serif]scope in [/font]Leupold[font=Verdana, sans-serif] rings. I know little about this cartridge. Nor have I owned a Ruger bolt action rifle before. I will likely use this without the chance to take it to a range first. I own it, but it is out of state on the site I will be hunting. I know the person who sighted it in. The rifle is set up more accurate than I am. Any thoughts?[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]PS. Oh, I am hunting deer. In Kentucky. Multiple trips. Thought I was hunting in [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Tennessee. Still might get to hunt Tennessee. That is still a little fluid. Fun.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]PPS. Let's add a 4th question. I need to replace a CVA lock for my Hawken. I thought I saw a link/site here. I can't find it. Anyone know something? [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for the help.[/font]

ruger11.jpg

I need to file a front sight down a bit. I understand the theory and the process. I have never seen it done. Anyone got a video I can watch before I do it?
Can't find a decent video.  Recently sighted in my new to me .54 New Englander barrel after installing a brass front sight from Skinner Sights. 

If the  ball is impacting close to the point of aim adjustment can often be made by manipulating the powder charge. 

1.  If the rear sight is adjustable for elevation place it in the middle of the adjustment range. 

2.  Set a bullseye target at 50 yards. 

3.  File down the front sight, fire rifle and check ball impact.  Don't over do it. 

4.  Repeat as necessary until bullet impacts in the bullseye.

Be sure to use a new, sharp file.  Put some tape on the barrel around the sight - the file will slip and nick the barrel.  Don't use any kind of power tool on the sight - you will positively take off too much metal.  Ask me how I know this stuff.

russell shaffer said:
Put some tape on the barrel around the sight - the file will slip and nick the barrel.  Don't use any kind of power tool on the sight - you will positively take off too much metal.  Ask me how I know this stuff.

This made me laugh. That's how I 'know stuff,' too.

Thanks, Falcon. Thanks, Russell.

Oh, I should note that the iron sight I am filing is on a different gun than the scoped new 308 Ruger. lol
The iron sight is a BP rifle.

KC, have collected Strum Ruger's since 1956, get a large collection of low serial numbers unfired and someone waves some $$$ - there goes that collection. Time to start another collection (Ruger's were the cheapest way to collect years ago). Have had three good collections of over 50 guns each. Some of best ones were a Ruger Flat Top in .357 that belonged to Skeeter Skelton he wrote about in "Shooting Times" (ser. No. <a href='/tags/125' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #125'>#125</a>), another was a Ruger Flat Top in .44 spl. that belonged to Bill Jordan - he wrote about this gun in "Guns Magazine".

Sorry got off trying to answer your question on the caliber .308 and the Ruger its going to hide in.

NOTE: The .308 Winchester is a rimless, bottle necked rifle cartridge and is the commercial cartridge from which the 7.62×51mm NATO round was derived.  Although very similar to the military 7.62  51mm NATO specifications, the .308 cartridge is not identical, and there are special considerations that may apply when mixing these cartridges with 7.62×51mm NATO, and .308 Winchester chambered arms. Their interchange is, however, considered safe by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI).

I have hunted with a Ruger M77 in .308 since around 1968 when Bill Ruger made his first Ruger M77 (it was intended as a modernized Mauser 98, though numerous changes were made). This was a very early rifle, had a recall that I missed (they forgot to mill one slot in the bolt, it was a single shot because of this - wouldn't pickup the next round in the magazine well). I had hunted with it for several years before discovering this, had been lucky with one shot kills up until then.

I have always used a 165 grain bullet and a warm load that has taken anything from squirrels (camp meat) to elk and sheep/goats and everything in between. Give your ever loving care and it will take care of you too.  Good setup, enjoy.

Thanks, Buck. That is the kind of answer I was hoping for.

Any thoughts on the CVA replacement lock?

You da man. Thanks. 

Was trying to avoid this... "It requires deepening the lock mortise slightly"

KC are you really busy or are you having some health issues, at your age we always wonder "Age 110" ? Take care old friend, Carl asked about you the other day again, he likes to know that his clients are doing well.

Buck Conner said:
KC are you really busy or are you having some health issues, at your age we always wonder "Age 110" ? Take care old friend, Carl asked about you the other day again, he likes to know that his clients are doing well.
I really am busy. I was having some health issues, but these have been handled. Thanks for worrying, but I am better than I have been in a long time. (at 111 - I just had a birthday last month!) 

Part of my 'busy' is because I actually listen to you guys. What do I mean? 

"Do it while you still can

"KC, you look like you will be a candidate for a chest cracking soon" (An accurate assessment of my weight from my honest friend Bob)

"Well, I got to go have surgery on my ________ this month." (Uh, all of you?)

"I can't get out to hunt like I used to do."

"Eat ________ for your health. It will keep things from falling off." (I will attribute that to strongeagle) 

"Oh, Lord! My _________ just fell off!"

You guys (and some friends) helped me realize that a few changes would be good for me. I am not sitting around on the computer all the time. I am moving. Vigorous moving. I feel great.

Summer accomplishments include:

* Cycled over 1,000 miles
* Cleared for steel weapons training with Jomsborg Vikings (weekly training for me. Two of my mates there are in the WWE
* Swam... I don't really know how far, but a lot of laps
* Shot a small part for a tv series
* Signed up for my first ever 5 mile Hike/Run
* Finished my first Spartan Sprint Obstacle Course at Fort Knox
* Dropped a few inches in my waist (46 to 40)
* BP back to normal for the first time in years
* No diabetes (Only one in my entire adult family to have kept that at bay. I think I was on the cusp!)
* Grown a big beard
* Cholesterol... Who am I kidding... That is still too high.

I will be 'virtual cycling' with my friends in October for a 26 mile bike race. It will be real cycling, but they will be in one state and I will be in another. We are using technology to keep track of each other.

Two friends and I have agreed to aim for the next rung of the Spartan Trifecta, the Spartan Super in 2019. I am in training. Need to drop another 30 pounds.
sparta11.jpg

All of this eats time. Since I still have significant professional and family commitments, my time here has decreased. I still pop on. Just been running too much to linger.

Tell Carl I think about him every time I think about Traveler. I have been glad to know he is still building GRRW rifles. I have kept track.

Back