White Bison G-series

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
The WHITE BISON G-SERIES .504 rifle arrived today. I saw it last week on one of the auction sites and could not resist. The general condition of the rifle was a little surprising. The seller listed the rifle as;

Seller's Description:
White Muzzleloading Systems model Bison G series,cal .504 Blue with black synthetic stock. Sling swivels,scope blocks,adjustable sights,in line percussion cap ignition. Bore looks good with deep rifling and only a few light spots of fouling.

I do not know how that person ever looked down the barrel at the rifling. That rifle was filthy. I would have been embarrassed to sell a rifle like that. I broke the rifle down and cleaned it all. The crud that was in the barrel worried me at first. I really had to work, to get the barrel clean. There was a lot of grease and fowling, with a little orange rust I might add, in the barrel. The breech plug was worn a little, fowled badly and not even open and unlubed, but I got that all cleaned up. The trigger I do not think had ever been removed and cleaned, so we got that done. When I finally had it clean to my standards, I headed to the range with it.

Dcp06859.jpg

With the short bull barrel and the synthetic stock the rifle looks pretty cool I think. The barrel is much different then that on the Ultra Mag. The crown in the end of the muzzle is very strange looking. Probably made by a different company. After I got the barrel clean, there was only very light marks in the barrel. It actually looks in good shape. The trigger on this rifle is excellent. It breaks clean, no creep, and if I had to guess, I would guess it at four pounds.

For some reason this rifle will not take the RWS Dynamite Noble caps. The first hit from the hammer sets the cap and the second fires it. It got worse as the rifle fowled. So you have to keep cleaning the nipple good. I finally went in and opened my CCI Magnum caps. They were much better, but still not the answer. As long as the nipple is clean the CCI do a great job.

I tried Triple Se7en 3f, Pyrodex P, and Goex 3f with and without wads. I shot Bullshop .504, Bullshop .503, and some UC Short Mags sized down to .504 caliber. The best loading were the .503 but if the bore is clean the others load fine, you just have to knock them down with a short starter as the barrel fowls.

Dcp06860a.jpg

The other thing I discovered right off the bat was, this sight was set to shoot as high as possible. I was only at 50 yards, but when I aimed at the dead center large bull, the hits were very high, and a little to the right.

Group #1 is a combination of .504 & .503 BS 460 grain with and with out wads, using 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f.

Group #2 is after I thought I lowered the rear sight enough. I shot, then adjusted to the left but went too much. So I then put one center of the two. Point of aim was the upper left corner bull.

Group #3 is I lowered the sight more and adjusted back to the right a little too much. This was shot with 65 grains of Pyrodex P and .503 BS 460 grain. A rather tight group this time. Point of aim was the upper left bull.

Group #4 I was aiming again at the center bull. This group was an assortment of using Pyrodex, Goex 3f, and Triple Se7en again. It seemed to be holding pretty good.

Group #5 was to the right of the bull on purpose. I wanted to shoot at the 3 o'clock position of the bull with 65 grains of Goex 3f and the .503 BS 460. It did pretty good actually.

Group #6 was shooting Triple Se7en 3f without a wad. I was shooting the UC Short Mags and my home made lube. I aimed at the bottom of the green bull at the 6 o'clock position, so I was pretty happy with them as well. They loaded kind of hard though from using the Goex, so I had to swab the barrel.

Group #7 was shot with Pyrodex P and some wads using the UC Short Mags. I was shooting at the lower left bull and was surprised the wads made them hit low and a little to the right.

Group #8 at the lower right bull is with the Pyrodex P and the .503 BS 460 grain. I was kind of pleased with that.

Over all I think this rifle is going to be a shooter. I put a lot of lead and powder down range today. Recoil is not bad at all with this little rifle, and it is really well balanced. The rifle cleaned up fine, but I did take some J-B Bore Paste and scrub the bore today. The Bison looks much better all cleaned up now, and in my gun rack. I think the next time to town I will get the Nikon 1X20mm scope for it and use some Warne QD rings.

That's a great looking rifle! I think it would be GREAT with one of the Lyman S-57 peep..

Looks like it is going to be a shooter for sure!

Peep sights and I do not seem to get along too well. I just removed a T/C tang peep sight off a renegade I have because I really hate "hunting" with it. On the range during bright day light, its fine for me. In the woods and shadows, I tend to have focus problems.

Since the rifle has bases, and I have spare rings around the house, I will grab a 1X scope next time in town and mount that on the rifle..

I also think it is going to be a good shooter.

try some remington caps, that should solve the cap-fitting problem. did on my whites ... RWS and CCI were both too small.

I really HATE Remington caps. I know that is an unfair thing to say, but its true. I hold them responsible for one of the best deer I will probably ever witness in the woods one season hearing nothing more then a "pop" out of my Renegade. Strange part was I had been shooting the rifle a few days before, I was very careful about preparing the rifle for the day of the hunt, and with the Remington caps and had only two misfires prior to all this. This was before they were 40% hotter as they claim. So next time I am at Wal Mart I will pick up a couple tins of them, or I was thinking of changing the breech plug over to a musket cap since I have a couple hundred of them around the house. I was told the musket breech plug from my UM would fit the Bison.

now that might be a great idea, ive switched several of mine to musket caps. i prefer musket caps in almost every respect, except they are hard to find these days and when you do they cost nearly twice as much

I was shooting the Bison again today and still having trouble with the ignition and caps on the #11 nipple. After shooting 25 rounds or so, I ended the day because company was coming over. I cleaned the rifle all up nice and was about to put the old #11 breech plug in when I remembered I had that musket breech plug, so I put that in.

Then a phone call said the person who was going to come over decided they had other things that needed to get done. Fine with me. Back to the range.

Dcp06864.jpg

So at 70 yards I shot the first shot on a fully oiled barrel. It hit high. The rest on the fowled barrel did much better though. I had changed the powder charge after some testing today. I found that 90 grains of Pyrodex P and a .503 Bull shop 460 grain conical with no wad was shooting pretty good for me. Granted this group at 70 yards is not the best I ever shot, but it would be hunting quality already.

The hits outside the white 6" paper plate were from earlier shooting today.

Back