What Powerbelt Bullet for elk?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
powerb11.jpg

With everyone buying gear and loading up for the upcoming Elk hunts this year, lets take a look at the Powerbelt Bullet and what Powerbelt you should consider, as well as powder charges for that bullet.

My personal suggestion is the 338gr Powerbelt Platinum.

Why?: The Powerbelt Platinum is simply a tougher bullet due to its more aerodynamic shape, but most importantly, it has a much smaller hollow point cavity which allows deeper penetration into the vitals before it starts to open up. I have seen a lot of folks online comment that the bullet has a Platinum coating and guys, that's not the case! If it were Platinum coated, you would really cry at the check out isle!

Over the years of testing the 338 grain Powerbelt Platinum, I have found it to perform greatly in my torture tests that range from dry sand, wet sand, sloppy wet sand, to soaking wet news paper with a 1 gallon plastic bag of water in the middle of the news paper stack.

The powder charges I have tested with this bullet range from 80 grains Pyrodex RS, to 100 grains Blackhorn209. If you know the area you are hunting very well and have a good idea on the ranges you will be shooting, you'll be able to settle for less powder and get better penetration at shorter distances.

Powerbelts are pure lead and like all pure lead conical bullets, pure lead plus high velocity plus close distance shots, often result in an over expanded bullet that has limited penetration, especially once it makes contact with heavy bone. Remember this and try to avoid hard heavy bone shots if the animal is a lot closer than you had planned on it being!

Ideal loads for this bullet and shots of 50 yards + I would suggest 90 grains volume Triple 7 ffg or  Blackhorn209. Shots of 100 yards and beyond, you can up the charge to 100 grains +. Once you find the load that shoots best for you, go with it and just remember to avoid heavy bone frontal shots on elk and shoulder shots.

Shot Placement is ALWAYS the most important part when harvesting any big game animal. I always hear of poor blood trails with everything from a bow to a muzzle loader. Poor shot placement is never made up with using any kind of bullet or broad head. When shooting big game, I like to hit them a little lower in the heart area so blood begins to flow faster rather than a mid way up lung shot which takes longer for the cavity to fill with blood before it starts to spew out and leave a trail.

There is no overstressing the importance of shot placement , it means the difference between filling the freezer or going hungry for the winter !

I went shopping for Powerbelt Platinum in .54 at the Shop.CVA.com site after reading this post. It says that some calibers of the Platinum have been discontinued. They said to call to check if other calibres than what they listed were available. I did not. But, there were no Platinum .54s that I could find there. 

They did list Powerbelt Lead, Copper, and Aerolite in flavors of .54. I am looking for a nice 405 grain. I will probably try a nice Lead.

There was a 440 grain Flat Point .54 that seems to be just right.  I don't know much about the .50 selection but would lean towards the 338 Platinum just because of the description and other reviews.

Used a 338 grain powerbelt and 100 grains on a 336 ib black bear and he did not go one step.Went up behind the left shoulder and broke is neck and found the bellet just under the hide.The powder I used was blackhorn 209.

It was harder to find than I thought it would be. But, I finally found Powerbelts the recommended size I needed. I found POWERBELT .54 405 gr. LEAD at shop.cva.com. I never did find a Platinum. But, I decided on lead anyway. It will be fun to try these out.

This post caused me to look for these. I adjusted the grain choice based on Owner's Manual specs.

I like those lead flat point bullets. I did have to use a lead solvent because it did leave a little in the barrel that looked like shiny streaks and later would look like dull shadows. The copper washed one's were a little easier when it came to removing the copper streaking, but I found the lead flat points were more "authoritative" when they hit something. Let us know how they shoot!

only the 45 and 50cal were made in the Platinum series. The 405 in copper plated or lead are real thumpers!

I never used the Platinum, but have had great success with the 50 cal. 348 gr PB.The Arerotip has the same hollow point under it if removed as the std hollow point. I don't know who gave me this tip, but I take 17cal pellet, squeeze the skirt in a smidge and press it into the hollow point, skirt down.I have only killed one elk with that variation, but it went don't without taking a step

Latest posts

Back