What muzzleloaders can shoot smokeless? Any sidelocks?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do what you want to. Until the company that makes a black powder guns pecifically says [publicly] that smokeless can be used in some of their guns [and specifies exactly which one, and what the charge level should be, I'll stick to my Partriot that the maker has given me direction on smokeless use. When an idiot reads this stuff you're posting and loses an arm or parts of his face or worse because you argue that smokeless is safe in black powder guns, I hope your liability coverage is up to date. And this site's for allowing your claim to be posted publicly.

You can use home heating fuel oil in a diesel engine. Any idea what the manufacturer's comments might be at warranty time? Just because something might work according to somebody does not absolve them of any liabilty if bad things happen when based on what that somebody said.

You do what you want to. Until the company that makes a black powder guns pecifically says [publicly] that smokeless can be used in some of their guns [and specifies exactly which one, and what the charge level should be, I'll stick to my Partriot that the maker has given me direction on smokeless use. When an idiot reads this stuff you're posting and loses an arm or parts of his face or worse because you argue that smokeless is safe in black powder guns, I hope your liability coverage is up to date. And this site's for allowing your claim to be posted publicly.

You can use home heating fuel oil in a diesel engine. Any idea what the manufacturer's comments might be at warranty time? Just because something might work according to somebody does not absolve them of any liabilty if bad things happen when based on what that somebody said.

The barrels of many modern inline rifles say "Blackpowder Only".

Make sure you do not use any of the substitutes, like BH209, or you will not be in compliance.

Here, maybe this will help. It was posted by 03Mossy on 01/10/2022

"Correct! Absolutely no discussions allowed about running smokeless in a gun made for black powder or substitutes."

Here, maybe this will help. It was posted by 03Mossy on 01/10/2022

"Correct! Absolutely no discussions allowed about running smokeless in a gun made for black powder or substitutes."

This cartridge, like BH209, is a substitute for black powder.

The MSD sheet for BH209 reveals it is 83% smokeless powder. (Nitrocellulose)

https://blackhorn209.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/2022-Blackhorn-209-SDS.pdf

This cartridge is also not 100% smokeless powder. It is less than 50% smokeless powder.

Do you have a strain gauge, or do you know someone who has a strain gauge?
what would a strain gauge offer? You would normally place that on a barrel of known composition to measure the stretch when the charge is fired. That stretch is then converted to pressure by a calculation.
By placing that on a barrel that is too soft to handle smokeless would not tell anything valuable. When you stretch the gauge to far, it doesn't give good or valid readings. You would need to know the material data prior, and therefore would know what pressure it can handle safely by some calculations.

I don’t know the answers. Im
Trying to learn.
I've shot for decades and many thousands of rounds. I shoot SML and of course BH. We're shooting again in June to 1,000yds but, with BH.

I'll give you the best advice you can get................

IF THE RIFLE IS NOT FROM A QUALIFIED SMOKELESS RIFLE BUILDER, WITH A BREECH PLUG AND BARREL THAT IS RATED FOR SMOKELESS PROPELLANT, DO NOT PLAY WITH YOUR OR, SOMEONE ELSES LIFE AND/OR HEALTH. PERIOD.

SOME THINGS WORK UNTIL THEY DON'T, AND WHEN THEY DON'T, YOU WONDER......... 'IT WAS ALWAYS OK BEFORE'.

YOU DOUBLE LOAD OR DOUBLE CHARGE A PRODUCTION RIFLE WITH SMOKELESS AND ITS A TRIP TO THE ER OR THE MORGUE.

AGAIN, IF THE RIFLE ISN'T BUILT BY A QUALITY AND QUALIFIED SMOKELESS RIFLE BUILDER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER PUT SMOKELESS IN A PRODUCTION RIFLE.

DO NOT LEARN THE HARD WAY......................

What caused the fireball in Part 2 when you hit the #2 target?

I had a 22 sensitive Binary Exploding Target on the front of the bag of flour. (two chemicals you mix together)

My wife and I set the leaves at the range on fire the first time we tried to do the video., but I had a water hose handy. Unfortunately, my camera operator (wife) also had some problems that day with the camera.

It rained before I did the last video.

what would a strain gauge offer? You would normally place that on a barrel of known composition to measure the stretch when the charge is fired. That stretch is then converted to pressure by a calculation.
By placing that on a barrel that is too soft to handle smokeless would not tell anything valuable. When you stretch the gauge to far, it doesn't give good or valid readings. You would need to know the material data prior, and therefore would know what pressure it can handle safely by some calculations.

It was my understanding that the strain-gauge does not permanently deform unless the pressure is high enough to burst the barrel.

However, I am not sure because I have never used one.

https://www.ktgunsmith.com/straingauge.htm

Last edited:
Two questions...

Is the Nitrofire "Firestick cartridge" an approved Black Powder "substitute" in many states? If it is an approved "substitute", is my self-ejecting cartridge loaded from the muzzle any different? My cartridge could use the exact same propellant as the one found in the "Firestick". Would that make it a "Muzzlestick"?

Are corrosive propellants one of the chief factors in muzzleloader sales, due to the corrosion of barrels produced by those who do not thoroughly clean their rifle? If you saw the number of rusted out barrels which I have taken off actions in my shop, it might help answer the question.

Nitrofire is legal in VA. Requires a specific gun to shoot them.

I stay away from pyrodex due to it's corrosive nature! I do take care of my guns, but have seen many that for some reason, don't.

BH209 will stain a stainless barrel if left unclean for a few days. Ask me how I know.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure the gun that was designed for the fire stick has a shelf for the bullet to sit against. Therefore the bullet cant be loaded from the breech and has to be loaded from muzzle. Anybody on the forum have one to verify?

I’m pretty sure the gun that was designed for the fire stick has a shelf for the bullet to sit against. Therefore the bullet cant be loaded from the breech and has to be loaded from muzzle. Anybody on the forum have one to verify?

You are correct.

The propellant is loaded from the breech and the bullet is loaded from the muzzle in the Nitrofire.

In other words, it is half breech-loader and half muzzleloader.

Back