Vent Liner *& Breach Plugs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wschamp

Reaction score
I had a vent liner lock up on my breach plug that didn't have but about 20 shots through it. I was using CVA anit-seize compound on both the breach plug and vent liner. What are you guys using? I do have some Never Seez made by Bostik which is an industrial type compound that protects up to 1800deg. F and protects against carbon fusion, corrosion, rust and pitting. I think I may try some of that. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way.The so called anti-seize compounds that come stock with new purchases just do not cut the the grade.The bostik you mentioned should work,though I have never tried it.I believe most use the copper or nickle anti-seize that you can purchase at your local auto parts store.Squeeze tube or stick.The stick is not as messy,but a little harder to apply. IMO.

Now I've only been playing with my ml 2 for a few months however I've used both the breech plug grease that TC makes (or at least labels) and the same with the knight breech plug grease that I've laying around, I've ran as many as 50 rounds and haven't had a problem with it yet, oh I've shot 5744 and 4759 don't know about other powders
Ron

Ron, There have been many in the past that had problems with the breech plug lubricants that you mentioned.The rule of the thumb for most, is to avoid them.You are a lucky man going 50 shots at a time and no trouble.

Teflon Tape???

I am using the copper anti-sieze on the vent liner and was using it on the breechplug but just changed over to regular teflon tape. I have heard it works just as well and keeps that mess out of the barrel. Anybody use it before and what are your experiences? I haven't shot with it yet but will soon.

Back