Explain Breech Plugs, Vent Liners

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donny123

Reaction score
Complete Newby ignorance.

I will have a CVA Optima in hand soon but I literally know nothing about Breech Plugs except for the reading and videos I've watched.

From my (limited) understanding the original QRBP is not recommended for loose powder, specifically BH209 but will work in the right/optimal conditions, so it works with loose and pelleted powders. The sks replacement plug with a vent liner which is a 209 style says it's not compatible with pellets. Does that mean that all 209 Breech Plugs are not compatible with pellets? Does that mean if I use pellets I need to use the factory style plug?

Please enlighten.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my Optima specifically to shoot BH209 so bought the CVA Blackhorn breechplug. I have a hunting partner that shoots his with the factory breach plug and uses pellets...Has for years. He gets 2-3 deer each year with his Optima.

The QRBP works with pellets and loose powder, no problem, just not BH 209.
I have shot BH 209 with a QRBP, but ignition is sporadic and not dependable in my Optima, and that is with Federal 209 shotshell primers AND cleaning the flash channel every few shots. Using the BH breech plug I have never had a FTF with the Fed 209's and BH 209.
So, you will need the Blackhorn breech plug for BH 209 powder.

Last edited:
I've shot quite a few rounds of BH209 using the factory plugs in my Accura V2 and Optima pistol WHEN IT WAS QUITE WARM OUTSIDE. It didn't work well once the temps dipped into the 40's or lower. With the BH compatible plug now sweat to well below zero if using a shotgun shell reloading 209 primer. Muzzleloader specific primers sucked. And I tried the pellets with the 209 plug and the hotter primers and things were less than satisfactory. BH209 and even T7 granular can seem to be in another world, but once they're dialed there is no comparison.

As for your question on pellets in a 209 plug, I think the large powder chamber on the powder end of the plug spreads the flame from even a magnum shotshell reloading primer out too much and the flame gets too cool to even ignite some pellets. But why even mess with pellets when granular powder brings the best of the gun out.

Pick up the CVA BH209 plug and it will work with whatever you shoot out of the gun. Side note, my optima has the original breech plug (not the BH 209 plug) and shoots BH209 just fine, never had a misfire.

Back