Update on a updated Ruger 77/50

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike nelson

Reaction score
Acquired a Ruger 77/50 this spring and have done a ton of reading about this MZ rifle
-came as near new and with the original percussion cap breach plug
-acquired a NOS laminated stock and replaced the original birch stock
-acquired the canadian conversion 209 conversion breach plug but never shot it
-mounted a Weaver 44/40 series 2x7- 32mill scope on it with original ruger rings
-learned about the blow by issue with the slam fire bolt system
-acquired the derfhunter bolt nose converstion and installed it
-have dri-fired it with a spent primer and the trigger pull is a very very quick <2# pull
-planning on sighting it in @ 100 yd.s first with a low scaled powder charge of BH and then fine tuning it @100grains BP209 with Barnes Expanders.
-Hope this rifle shoots 1/2 as good as the rifle looks.
-have found that the cleaning tube no longer available from ruger or others is identicle to that offered by Midway USA for the Rem 700 MZ

Well finally got around to sighting in the Ruger 77/50. Firearm season just 3 wks away and I was waiting for a calm day to sight it in. Note that this is the first I've ever shot this rifle and also shooting BH209 propellant for the first time
-bore sighted by eye only
-all shooting done @ 100yds. using target of 3 ft.x 3ft. rosin paper, 3 -1/2" bulls eye.
-shot off a folding table with front and rear shooting bags only
-wanted to start out with 56 grns by weight and use up some of my old 240 gr.T/C jacketed H.P. bullets and check the stock screws after 3 shots.
-then wanted to bump up the propellant to 70 gr. by weight and finished using up same bullets, 5 shots with this combo.
-finally wanted to get the scope dialed in with my hunting load of 70grn. by weight with 250 gr. Barnes Expanders.
Findings:
-first 3 shot group low and to the left, all on paper
-second group of 5 shots high and to right except 1 in bull. Got a little mixed up and went too far while adjusting scope windage and elevation
-third group of 5--4 of 5 @ 1 1/2" group in bull, 1 just outside bull
-seems like less smoke than T7 pellets noting there was only a 5 mile/hr. breeze and very humid
-recoil light with first loads/ moderate with 70 grns.
-I now have confidence in this rifle for whitetails and can't believe how nice a trigger it has
Wanted to submit photo of rifle/ and 2 photos of target. I loaded then in Photobucket but be darned if I can get them to go to MM web. If any one really interested give me your e-mail and I'll send them from my computer photo file.

Sounds good so far.

On Photobucket use the Shared selection in the menu or if you have that photo up look to the right of the picture and you should see 4 links. Click on the bottom IMG link and it should say "Copied" now go to MMl and when you are posting just right click and paste the link. It should show the picture when you go to preview or submit.

the 3'x3' rosin paper tarrget with 3-1/2" bull: First 3 shot group with old TC hollow points& 56 grns.by weight BH209 low to left. Next 5 shot group with 70 grns.by weight and same bullet high to right except last shot in bull. I got a little confused turning the windage and elev. adjustments. until the last. The last 4 shot group is same powder charge but with my Preferred Barnes Expander bullets. 3 of 4 within 1-1/2" M.O.A in bull and the 4th just outside bull. I think this is good enough for Minn. whitetail. Note that this is the first time shot a ruger MZ and first for BH 209 propellant. Rifle initially boresighted by eye only and used only front and rear shooting bags on a folding table. Smoke from shots was present but noting that very calm and very very humid in the a.m. Trigger in this rifle is fantastic. Looking forward to deer season.

Coming right along. That should get the job done. That Ruger is a very good looking rifle. Never actually saw one in person.

Latest posts

Back