Barnes XPB 275 gr. @ 220 yards

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

xpbgroup.jpg

Well, its promising-- but it may or may not be one of the best long range loads. Time will tell; right now I'm waiting on more bullets. With the crops out, all my regular shooting lanes are exposed to the wind-- ungood. :(

It's sure got some long-range promise, that's for certain. Getting a big bullet like that flying at that speed and getting that type of accuracy spells the makings of a 250 yard shooter for sure and with a little calculated Kentucky windage, 300 yard shots shouldn't be out of the question.

It looks good, and trajectory-wise is very good.

Windage is where it looses a small amount of appeal-- the Barnes Original Spitzer at 2250 fps has less wind deflection from 75 yards to infinity.

Surprised how fast you can push one with no bloody sabot-stabbing boat tail? :?

That is SMOKIN' !!! One of these days I will actually get my chrony out of my truck and get some #'s on my 285 Spitfire load..

Im stuck on SST/XTP's for the time being!

RW,
How does this 275 g bullet compare in accuracy, etc with the 300g 458Barnes X FB(Barnes product # 45802)? This bullet has been given an excellent report by someone using the 50 cal SMI. Actually, well sub MOA at 100yds and somewhat sub MOA @ 200yds. The advertized BC is 0.34 for this 300g Barnes. Thanks.

I tried, but had no luck getting acceptable accuracy with them out of my Savages-- the stated BC is .340, the BC "King" of .45 cal. arena 300 gr. bullets.

But, I believe Ron and Joe Name have been able to get them to group well out of their SMI's.

Thanks RW. They are $1 ea but that is fine if they perform well, both ballistically and terminally. I realize that is comparatively high, but 1 box should be plenty to confirm Ron's load in my gun and sight in @ 100yds with a given holdover and see where it impacts at further ranges. Thanks for the response.

So was this a group, the group, a representative group, or the best group with that bullet/charge?

Latest posts

Back