Conundrum

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You guys just about have me convinced to give Fury bullets a try. My problem comes from deciding on a .451" B2B or a .401" in a sabot and a recommended weight for either.
I'm leaning toward the .451" in 275 gr star tip. Thoughts please.

For me I'd go B2B with the .451 275gr., but I'm elk hunting and my state requires a 240gr. Minimum sabot bullet weight, and there's not many options there.
But I've really taken a liking to B2B shooting and the accuracy that comes with it.

So that begs the question, what is your intended use?

What type of rifle are you shooting? Bolt gun/break action? With my smokeless bolt action I am going bullet to bore with everything I shoot, but with the Furys I need to use a wad to "hopefully" increase accuracy beyond 100yrds. I haven't had a chance to test beyond 100yrds yet. I am shooting the 300gr bonded Furys. I have also found that the 290gr Barnes all copper bullets, with a wad have the same POI as the 300gr Furys. I have to take both bullets out further now. I am using 78grns of H322, but that is going to run out unless some becomes available in the near future. I'lll use 4198 at that point. Also, what ignition system are you using?

That's really no help Diablo. Those bullets ain't cheap. I can't throw $140 + shipping for bullets only to find half of them won't work. I'm looking for pros and cons of the 2
Maybe someone here would be willing to send you a few of each to test. I know I’m not alone here - I’m slightly addicted to testing new bullets and powders, so I keep dozens of different choices on hand.

And as @LHR says, it depends on what you are looking to do with them. Pros and cons to each.

Bronco, have you had a chance to measure (slug) the bore?
I'm sizing my 300 gr. SSTs to .4505" and use a wool wad under them. Loading pressure is moderate and they shoot under MOA.
I plan on using them mostly for hunting deer and black bear where most shots are <100 yards. However I frequently have opportunities out to 300 yards. The 275 gr Furys have a higher BC and will shoot flatter nut by how much I'll have to run some comparisons.
I see Fury makes both the 402 and 452 in 275 gr.
The 402 has a much higher BC. I'm not sure of the BC of the SST but I'm thinking around .28

Last edited:
I reached out to Fury about a month ago, asking for advice on which bullet they recommend for my purposes (hunting round, deer and pronghorn). "D" replied that the LT would fit my situation best, followed by the SBT (yellow tip one). Didn't say anything about the star tip. For the price, I'm not mad about. Haven't ordered yet, but that's the direction I'm going to try. That said, if you get the star tips and don't like them, I'd probably help you recoup your losses and try them in my rig.

I think this was posted on another thread from you, but Arrowhead Rifles sells 10 packs of several fury bullets if you wanted to try that?

https://arrowheadrifles.com/product/fury_st2/

Going by this....
I'm sizing my 300 gr. SSTs to .4505" and use a wool wad under them. Loading pressure is moderate and they shoot under MOA.
I plan on using them mostly for hunting deer and black bear where most shots are <100 yards. However I frequently have opportunities out to 300 yards. The 275 gr Furys have a higher BC and will shoot flatter nut by how much I'll have to run some comparisons.
I see Fury makes both the 402 and 452 in 275 gr.
The 402 has a much higher BC. I'm not sure of the BC of the SST but I'm thinking around .28
Either one would serve the purpose, if the right load is worked up. If it was me, I would start with the .402 300 in a HLBS and work up a load but it's not me....🙂

Last edited:
Back