Took the first step for my project gun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took about an hour. I went slow since it was my first time. I'm waiting on a check and as soon as it gets here I'm going to order a couple hundred rounds and a brass catcher since I plan to reload eventually.

Nice job Pat, now here is one more tip. On your rear sight drum you will see it is calibated from 300-800 meters. With 300 being the closest setting. But if you go all the way up to the 800 meter setting you will find you have 5 extra clicks. If you look there is a small allen in the drum and a hole in the handguard that will allow you to access it when it is indexed to line up. If you back the allen out just a hair you can slip the drum and steal 3 of those unneeded clicks and put them below the 300 meter setting. Then if you sight in at 300 , then you can go 2 down for 200 and 1 more for 100. So instead of having a drum that is calibrated for 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, and 800 meters, you know will have a drum that is calibrated for 100, 200 , 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, and 800 meters. Quite a but handier for a hunting setup. BTW the calibrations are for 62 gr SS109.

BTW when you function fire that rifle make sure you have plenty of lube on the bolt group and keep your face back so you dont get sprayed with lube mist. It takes a few hundred rounds to break them in good. If you have any function issues you cannot figure out let me know.

Mine's different. It had 3 clicks on the back end and 1 on the front end for 250. I tried loosening it but it didn't do anything. I'll have to switch to the larger aperture below 250.

The larger aperture is on the same focal plane. Switching will not change your elevation. On the old A1 sights it did but not on the A2.
The allen screw is loc tited and once you figure it out you will see what I mean.

Rifleman said:
The larger aperture is on the same focal plane. Switching will not change your elevation. On the old A1 sights it did but not on the A2.
The allen screw is loc tited and once you figure it out you will see what I mean.

http://ar15.com/content/manuals/manual_bushmaster.pdf

Your right. I had assumed that since it said 0-2 it was a different height. The screw I loosened is the one accessable in front of the aperture through the top.

Glad it worked out for ya Patrick. My rifle coach came up with that shortly after the intro of the M16A2 and it works well.

Now all I need is some ammo and I can get shooting. I've got a check coming next week and as soon as I get it I'll get some ammo. I need to build up a stock of cases to reload eventually. I've got a 5.56 NATO chambering so I'll get 5.56.

My ammo came today. 400 rounds of Prvi Partisan M193. http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Prvi ... _.223.html

supply1.jpg

Pretty soon I need to go shooting and sight it in. I'm planning on using the 50 yard/200 meter zero then verifying it at 200 meters. Then I'll check the 100 meter setting on the drum and see how close it is. 400 rounds should be plenty to get to know the rifle.

I did get to go shooting for a bit. Didn't do too good since I forgot that I can't use my glasses with iron sights. They make the sights fuzzy. I'll remember that for the next time I go. It's been so long since I had a rifle set up for them. Cleaned up the rifle, or Lorraine as my wife calls it since it's "the other woman". :lol:

Nice! Does yours have the flip sight on the rear like a M16? If so, don't forget to change it over after you zero at a short distance before shooting long distance.

It has the same sights as a M-16A2. I'm using the small aperture for shooting right now. Now that I know what was wrong I'll zero it the next trip.

Latest posts

Back