Took the first step for my project gun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick White

Reaction score
I ordered the stripped lower.

http://jtacsupply.com/catalog/stag-arms ... p-304.html

I've almost got enough to order the kit with the complete upper and the lower parts.

It's gonna look like this when it's done. A fellow on AR15.com tipped me to the savings of building a kit.

ar15a2.jpg

It'll be a nice gun for target work. Not planning on hunting with it though except maybe the odd coyote.

You'll have fun with that project. I've put together a few. Don't be afraid of doing your own upper, its not all that tricky.

I'm just going to get the complete upper this time. If I build another I may look into doing the whole thing myself. Right now I just want to get one and start shooting.

As an update, I got a nice deal on mags. AIMSurplus has got a good deal right now. Three 30 rd. mags for $40 plus shipping. Comes out to $16.70 per mag delivered, less if you order more.

Patrick White said:
It'll be a nice gun for target work. Not planning on hunting with it though except maybe the odd coyote.

You'll enjoy shooting the AR. They make dandy coyote rifles!

Today I ordered my Upper for the AR-15 I am building.

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifle_Kits_20_s/58.htm

20" Rifle Kit
20 Rifle Kit -Barrel:20" DTI 1x9 Chrome Lined
20 Rifle Kit -Gas Tubes:Standard Gas Tube
20 Rifle Kit -Handguards:Standard Handguard
Rifle Kit -BC:Standard Bolt & Carrier
Rifle Kit -Buttstock:A2 Buttstock - Black
Rifle Kit -Carrying Handle:None
Rifle Kit -Flash Hiders:A2 Flash Hider
Rifle Kit -Gas Blocks:Standard A2 Front Sight
Rifle Kit -Grips:A2 Grip - Black
Rifle Kit -Lower Parts:Standard Lower Parts
Rifle Kit -T Handle:Standard Charging Handle
Rifle Kit -Uppers:A2 Upper

I am waiting on the stripped lower to arrive at my FFL. My Magazines (3X 30 rds.) arrived Thursday.

Now if I can just sell my Leupold scope I can afford cleaning supplies and ammo. :lol:

Del-Ton is good people. They put together an upper for me for a carbine class I took last year. I shipped them the fluted chrome lined barrel that I wanted on my build and they put it together and shipped it test fired the same day. Had the gun ready for testing the weekend before the class.

AR15course.jpg

I'm in the yellow hat. The gun has several thousand rounds through it without one problem. It has a Yankee Hill front folding sight now.

Good luck with it.

PowderKeg

Well it's my first so I just went with one of their kits. I heard good things so I figured I'd give them a try.

slower.jpg

Seems to be missing something. :lol: The rest of it is shipping today so I'll be putting it together soon.

A stripped lower and a 30 rd. mag. huh? Well, you've got a start on your new AR! Keep us posted as the project progresses (w/pics also). :wink:

Nic_58 said:
A stripped lower and a 30 rd. mag. huh? Well, you've got a start on your new AR! Keep us posted as the project progresses (w/pics also). :wink:

3 thirty round mags. :wink: :lol: After it's assembled the next thing is ammo. :drool:

:lol: :lol:

Looks like fun! Take plenty of pics during the project. This is something I've always wanted to do,,,but never have. YET!

Patrick, be careful when you install the roll pin for the bolt catch, it can be tricky not to mar up the rifle there. Also when you install the detent for the front take down pin. There is a spring and then a detent pin. It is much easier if you take a small allen wrench and grind it flat on the inside bend of the short end and use it as an assembly tool to hold the detent and spring in place when installing the pin. Also, if you take a punch that just fits into the hole, bring it in from the other side as a slave pin to hold the detent down once you have it compressed with the home made assembly tool. Then you can just push the take down pin in as you push the slave pin/punch back out the other side. If you are not real careful here you will launch the detent and spring. They are tiny and hard to find once lost. Another thing you can do when installing this part is wear a hat with a bill and hold your head down low over the piece while working, in case the detent gets launched, it may hit the bill of the hat and then land back on your work table. I keep extras around as this is really a tricky part to get in place. Good luck and if you have any problems getting that thing together just let me know.
Rman

I've got a video guide.

http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag/ ... dLower.wmv

And a regular one.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

I'm gonna use a work area that will lower the chances of losing parts. I'm planning on using a bedsheet over the small table I'll be working on. I figure if a spring goes up it'll hit it and if it goes to the sides it'll hit it. Hopefully this will prevent me losing one. Probably a small lamp on the inside for light unless the white sheet lets enough in.

Thanks for the offer of help. If I have a problem I'll let you know.

Here's what I started with.

ar1.jpg

Clockwise from top. A2 Upper, Stripped Lower, Action spring and buffer assembly, A2 Stock, Lower parts (bag), swivel stud for bipod.

ar2.jpg

ar3.jpg

ar4.jpg

Action. Serial number edited out. I did not notice that it was in the fire position until just now.

ar5.jpg

The barrel and flash hider.

Man, that was FAST! Apparently, you had no problems assembling it. Looks good, now get out there and shoot it! :yeah:

Latest posts

Back