Thor Sizing pack and new CVA Accura MR-X 50 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire Hawk

Reaction score
Just ran two Thor Hammer Sizing bullets through my .50 cal CVA MR-X. Was kind of surprised by what I found. The .500 bullet engaged the rifles slightly and required a little pressure to push it down the barrel. Next I tried the .501 bullet and immediately I knew it was going to be a lot tighter. Used the short starter and got it down a few inches with a lot of pressure. Then grabbed my range rod and tried pushing it down the rest of the way. Eventually I had to slam the rod onto the bullet to get it down the rest of the way. Definitely tighter than anything I would ever want to hunt with. I ran it down through the barrel one more time after thoroughly cleaning the barrel just in case I hadn't gotten all the crud out from shipping/mfg. It was a gift for Christmas and has never been shot. After cleaning it more thoroughly (using solvent etc.) I ran it one more time. It went a little easier, but still hard. IMG_8332.jpg

So...I assume I work with the .500 Thor and maybe shoot a primer or two first to give it a little more pressure? What are your thoughts?

I also pushed a Hornady BTX Bore Driver (290 grain) down and it felt exactly like I am used to with the yellow sabot Barnes MRX in my Knight. NIce steady pressure and down it went.

Thoughts?

If the Thor doesn't work out for you; one could consider Fury Bullets. These bullets are bonded, shoot accurate, and are easily sized. One can use an adjustable sizing die, and make the bullet any reasonable size one wishes. They also do not spring back; they stay sized.

I didn't know anything about the Fury bullets. Looking at their website, I am intrigued. I like the idea of Knurling the bullet to give a little extra "fit" if that makes sense.

Would one expect to see the same .500 in that bullet to fit like the .500 thor and thus the.501 be way too tight? Just curious. Does that measurement come on the "non knurled" portion and therefore have a little more bite on the riflings with a .500"?

And I suppose I should get brought up to speed on the whole "adjustable" sizing die conversation. I have been reloading precision ammunition for years in my rifles, so I have a nice set up of presses etc. I need to do a little investigating on that idea. I love having these little projects to work on. Make shooting more interactive. My buddies all think I am crazy and will just load "what ever". I guess I beat to a different drum.

In reality, I like muzzle loading because one has to become a little" involved" in the shooting activity. Drives my military son crazy as he just wants to shoot lots of bullets and create "situations" that he has to think through and become proficient at, just in case he runs into those situations in combat etc. I appreciate his enthusiasm for that, but wish he shared some of my enthusiasm for making smoke.

Last edited:
its hard to get a true measurement on a knurled bullet, measure before knurling. But knurl the .500 a little and try it out, then knurl one a little more and try that. Inexpensive as you just need a couple bastard files to get started. Sizing down a .501 to, say, .5005 and try that out. But you have to have the sizer and maybe an accurate measuring device so a few hundred dollars maybe. Knurling copper jackets is a wee bit tuffer than lead but definitely do-able.

Something doesn't seem right here. It takes just a little pressure to push the .500 down the barrel but a bullet .001 larger has to be pounded down. .0005 on opposing lands you could say. Are you sure you read the color coding right? Maybe it was wrong from the factory. My Optima takes the .502 bullet with light pressure. The .503 fits perfectly.

Something doesn't seem right here. It takes just a little pressure to push the .500 down the barrel but a bullet .001 larger has to be pounded down. .0005 on opposing lands you could say. Are you sure you read the color coding right? Maybe it was wrong from the factory. My Optima takes the .502 bullet with light pressure. The .503 fits perfectly.
You know, I never took my Micrometer to it. I just went off the "colors" that they suggested. I will mic the bullets and see what I find.

Hank's precision adjustable sizing die. it's the way to go for some reason he doesn't reply to emails. it is an excellent product.

Attachments

• IMG_20211229_155912862.jpg
    IMG_20211229_155912862.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 13
In my 45 Sav/Brux they shoot best .45015 - .45020. My Scout 45 will load .451 bullets right out of the pack. I also have Hankin's and another adjustable die. Number of passes through the die may differ with different brand bullets. JME We spend money on our passions and expense is an inescapable aspect in the venture. I would like to have things cheaper too but I'm not counting on it. I am getting ready to buy another/better than I have scope and it is hard to part with 1k+ but that is what it will take to get (what I want). Dang beer pocket book.

Last edited:

So I mic'd the bullets. Now that there are some rifling marks, they aren't exactly perfect, but it seems to be on track with what the color coding suggests.

By the way, my Knight Wolverine engaged rifling lightly with the .501, but felt very good at .502.

I heard back from Thor and I feel entirely comfortable on getting the .500 bullets now.

D55, that helps me make my decision. I will be placing my order soon.

Thank you for all of your help.

just curious d55 are you using blackhorn 209 . i am switching to the thor the .500 slides down pretty easy but .501 alot tougher wondering if the looser fit works with bh209 thanks

I've sized .458 bullets down to fit my .45 Accura. .45-70 bullets are a lot cheaper than Thors and the heavy ones work very well over a 1/8" wool wad. I start with a .452 Lee sizer and finish with the adjustable sizer. I've also shot the .458s with a sabot in my .50 cal. They work well too.

Mine are 45's but I have a fixed .449 Lee, a Hankin's smooth size die, and a Swinglock.

I have 1 custom adjustable sizer and a bunch of different sizes of Lee sizers. .450, .451 ×2, .452 ×2, .454, .457. .502, 501, .504. Some are sanded/polished out to specific custom sizes for specific guns.

Back