New to me CVA MRX 50 C

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

25PRC

Far North Hunter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Advice from those in the know, please. I retired my 30 plus year old Knight Disc 50 cal with this new CVA 50 cal MRX.
I would appreciate any advice on bullets, primers, sabot or not and any other does-and-donts. I will be primarily hunting deer and wolves, not more than 200 yd shots. I. Have a number of left over Knight red hot Barnes 250 gr sabots. They don’t seem to want to fit with the knight high pressure sabots, any other sabot ?
Lots to learn since I first made smoke, any experience you can save is most grateful.
Next advice/question. Have on hand the following 209 primers -T7, fed 209a, Remington 209 muzzle and CCI 209. I also have T7 pellets in 60 and 30 gr. My small town GS has A limited supply of components, he has 50 Aerolite, Hornady 250 gr sst sabots, smack down carnivore 250 gr and Hornady 290 gr Bore Diver. Albeit he did have some BH 209.

I like 70 grains by weight of Blackhorn 209 and a fury 250 either the star tip or the black tip in a black Harvester sabot this load has been a consistent performer for me in a lot of different CVA 28 twist 50 cal barrels, I usually go to that load first, I might increase a little bit if 70 doesn't show what I want I'll slowly work my way up to 80. I've taken a lot of Texas Whitetail and Hogs with that load, Fury 265 stb I think it's called also it's been really good for me in 28 twists,, most of the 28 twist CVS have shot the Fury full bore 501-502's also

I like 70 grains by weight of Blackhorn 209 and a fury 250 either the star tip or the black tip in a black Harvester sabot this load has been a consistent performer for me in a lot of different CVA 28 twist 50 cal barrels, I usually go to that load first, I might increase a little bit if 70 doesn't show what I want I'll slowly work my way up to 80. I've taken a lot of Texas Whitetail and Hogs with that load, Fury 265 stb I think it's called also it's been really good for me in 28 twists,, most of the 28 twist CVS have shot the Fury full bore 501-502's also
Much appreciated, thanks for time

At the ranges you're shooting I'd go with the Barnes 290 gr TEZ or a Hornady 300 gr .452" XTP and a Harvester black crush rib sabot. Both a lot cheaper than a Fury bullet and just as effective. IMO the Fury, a great bullet, is more for longer ranges. Also you don't need the spend the money on BH209 as you will do just fine with Pyrodex RS or Triple 7 powders. That's my 2 cents.

Advice from those in the know, please. I retired my 30 plus year old Knight Disc 50 cal with this new CVA 50 cal MRX.
I would appreciate any advice on bullets, primers, sabot or not and any other does-and-donts. I will be primarily hunting deer and wolves, not more than 200 yd shots. I. Have a number of left over Knight red hot Barnes 250 gr sabots. They don’t seem to want to fit with the knight high pressure sabots, any other sabot ?
Lots to learn since I first made smoke, any experience you can save is most grateful.
Next advice/question. Have on hand the following 209 primers -T7, fed 209a, Remington 209 muzzle and CCI 209. I also have T7 pellets in 60 and 30 gr. My small town GS has A limited supply of components, he has 50 Aerolite, Hornady 250 gr sst sabots, smack down carnivore 250 gr and Hornady 290 gr Bore Diver. Albeit he did have some BH 209.
If you can swing the cost of the BH209 I'd get some and those Federal 209A primers should ignite it just fine. I use 77.5gr weighed with a 290gr Bore Driver and that load is sub MOA out of my Accura V2 Plains Rifle. Personally I'm not a fan of pellets but T7 is good powder. I like loose 3f T7 myself. If BH209 wasn't available to me for whatever reason that's what I'd be shooting. You could try some black Harvester Crush Rib sabots with those leftover Barnes bullets and see how they do. If I'm looking for maximum accuracy out of my rifle I use smooth sized Fury 320gr Star Tip 2P bullets over a veggie wad and 82.5gr weighed of BH209. I have it converted to LRMP using Arrowhead's breech plug but thats a lot of messing around and extra expense that not everyone wants to do.

Last edited:
If you can swing the cost of the BH209 I'd get some and those Federal 209A primers should ignite it just fine. I used 77.5gr weighed with a 290gr Bore Driver and that load is sub MOA out of my Accura V2 Plains Rifle. Personally I'm not a fan of pellets but T7 is good powder. I like loose 3f T7 myself. If BH209 wasnt available to me for whatever reason thats what I'd be shooting. You could try some black Harvster Crush Rib sabots with those leftover Barnes bullets and see how they do. If I'm looking for maximum accuracy out of that rifle I smooth size Fury 320gr Star Tip 2P bullets over a veggie wad and 82.5gr weighed of BH209. I have it converted to LRMP using Arrowhead's breech plug but thats a lot of messing around and extra expense that not everyone wants to mess with.
Great input, much appreciate the advice on crush rib sabots for my left over Barnes’s bullets.

Latest posts

Back