Accura MR-X vs Knight Ultralight?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket and am thinking of picking up a new inline ML. I always have my eye on the CVA Accura because I've had good luck with both my Wolf and Optima...but when I've actually held the gun I have pause because of its weight. In one of my hunting spots, the hike in is a mile or so and the Accura is pretty heavy and in those wooded spots, I doubt there is a shot longer than 50 yards to be had.

Due to the folks on this forum, I've also looked at some Knights. They seem a little fussier to use {and to clean} though I am sure that I could get used to that. If I went with a Knight, it'd likely be the Ultralight.

So a few questions:
1. Is a Knight as fussy to use as it sometimes looks (versus a CVA)?
2. Is it more accurate at practical hunting distances, say 125 yards and in?
3. If a Knight, bare primer or plastic jacket?

To be fair...I may just buy the wood stock or thumbhole stock that would make my Optima feel "new" - or even just a new Wolf, now that it has the longer LOP and higher cheek rest.

I own both of them. There is no comparison in the world to these two. The Knight Ultralight wins in a land slide. Honestly, its crazy to even compare the two.
I’m buying an UL as well , convert to bestil or Lehigh , running bh209, fury either w/ harvester or B/B . I’ve done a ton of research & own a 90’s mk85 . Knights my go to !!!

I’m buying an UL as well , convert to bestil or Lehigh , running bh209, fury either w/ harvester or B/B . I’ve done a ton of research & own a 90’s mk85 . Knights my go to !!!
Knight breech plugs are useless to me. SSK sales 17-4 breech plugs with removable ventliner really cheap. If your not worried about a few bucks, send it to Bestil, he will head space the plug and everything.

Knight breech plugs are useless to me. SSK sales 17-4 breech plugs with removable ventliner really cheap. If your not worried about a few bucks, send it to Bestil, he will head space the plug and everything.
Thank you sir for the guidance & direction ! I try & customize , enhance , upgrade my tools to make them the finest shooters I can …lord knows I can’t shoot !

I’ve been thinking about the same thing. Curious if you considered the mountaineer? I am digging the 27inch barrel option but it does look heavier.

I’ve been thinking about the same thing. Curious if you considered the mountaineer? I am digging the 27inch barrel option but it does look heavier.
Hey Kyle , yes I’ve looked @ mountaineer as well . Weight is important too . I’ll be topping ithe UL w/ swaro z3 3x12x50 ,Murphy titanium bases & NF titanium rings. I’m trying to get as close a feel to my mk 85 as I can . My intentions are a 200 yds .45 whitetail rifle !

Are you familiar w/any fury & bh209 loads you prefer ? TIA

Shooting an UltraLite using the Fury 265g STB sized to 0.4503" or so for hunting. Using a vegetable fiber wad between powder, and bullet. Primer used is the 209a Federal. Powder charge is 105g Blackhorn.

For practice powder charge is 115g 777ff, and primer is CCI shot gun primer. Practice is intentionally not done on a table. Target shows three shot with each powder.

dd8f9e23755b664442039c4efdfa3ee4.jpg

Kinda sad that Bestill doesn't provide a breech plug for this rifle any more. This rifle has a rear sealing plug that works perfectly with both powders, and both primers.

Thank you for the direction , can you recommend an alternative ? I’ve read about Lehigh ? Are you familiar w/ any fury & bh209 loads you prefer ? TIA
just shim your breech plug. I used 117 (volume) BH209 with Arrowhead bullets. Sub MOA and shoot great. If you are going CO elk that would be a 50 cal. I used .50 285 universal fit. They shot great and did the job on Colorado elk. I used 120 by volume with the .50 cal Universal FIT.

I have an MK 85 Knight...great rifle, and easy to take down and clean as well.
Fully agree , purchased in the late 90’s , it was a closet queen until last year .it’s one of my favorite handling rifles I own . I’m a huge old rem700 fan as well . Took my first M/L buck in October … im
All in !
Now it’s reach further ! I hunt my ranch in western Oklahoma , shots are as far as you care . So I’m headed to the .45 U/L . My hit list M/L buck May take some distance beyond 150 !!! Thank you all !

Latest posts

Back