Thompson/Center Triumph Breech Plug Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am an older fellow with weak fingers/hands. I have a Thompson/Center Triumph "Bone Collector" .50 caliber muzzle loader with the company's speed breech plug. Mounted on my muzzle loader is a nice 3 X 9 X 40 scope. With the scope installed properly I sometimes can't turn the breech plug to get it out and the factory wrench is somewhat small and awkward to use to assist. Is there a better tool out there that would fit much like a socket and ratchet that would remove the breech plug from straight in line with the plug as opposed to the factory wrench that inserts from the side? Maybe one can be made to fit say a 1/4" or 3/8" drive ratchet with 2 "tits" to fit the breech plug notches much like a wheel bearing socket for 4 wheel drive trucks with the ratchet drive square hole in the bottom of the socket? My muzzle loader is new and hasn't been shot more than a dozen times or so and it could be the breech plug is just tight. I use a quality breech plug anti-seize grease but that doesn't seem to help with removal but does a good job of coating the threads. I've since taken the scope off to ease access to the breech plug knurled end and installed a Williams WGRS ghost ring rear sight in place of the scope. I'm hoping someone else has a "trick" up their sleeve and could pass on what they do to gain clearence to access their breech plug for removal with a scope installed.

My fingers weren't strong enough to turn the Triumph plug in far enough so the action could go into battery. To clear the scope using the wrench to tighten the breech plug, the other end of the wrench was cut off square; the end was notched the same as the side. The end notch fit the breech plug the same as the side notch. To tighten the plug one can use the end notch, and twist the plug into place using a crescent wrench tightened to fit the tool. Using the crescent wrench to twist the end notched tool, provides the leverage necessary to tighten the plug. When using the end notch, the tool doesn't hit the scope when tightening the breech plug.

I carry some pliers, my Triumph breech plug is impossible to get any kind of grip on it by hand with a scope mounted,

I have the same ML and 3 TC breech plugs. But I use a good amount of anti-seize before turning them in.

I’ve used the teflon tape before, and as long as I don’t overlap the wraps too much, it goes in and out fairly easy. When I put too many wraps on once, it was a bear to get in and out.

I use one of the anti seize lubes on mine and I don’t have a problem getting it out, at least not that I’ve noticed. Maybe my scope sits higher or something?

The latest revision was the Speed Breach 3. Pretty sure that is what is used on the Pro Hunter FX. Looks like a much better plug too.

I carry a hid size Leatherman and I wrap Teflon around the plug which keeps it clean but makes it tight I turn the Leatherman end ways putting the tips of the needle nose pliers in the notches on the BP and turn it until the lines match. It has worked well for me for years.

All good suggestions. Thank you I'll have to try them. I'm still thinking about making my own socket though to use straight into the breech plug notches with a 1/4" or 3/8" ratchet. That's got to work with sufficient leverage and ease of access. Maybe I can build one and patent the damn thing?

All good suggestions. Thank you I'll have to try them. I'm still thinking about making my own socket though to use straight into the breech plug notches with a 1/4" or 3/8" ratchet. That's got to work with sufficient leverage and ease of access. Maybe I can build one and patent the damn thing?

Make a tool that you could epoxy it into a screwdriver socket wrench like the pic below.

Or, if you can find one with a large enough socket, just mill out the sections leaving 2 tabs to fit in the breech plug’s slots.

fa8f04ca-0dbd-4db0-91b6-1ee8a071d583_1.89f7535c8d672ea8b74e1bd416d4e143.jpeg

Dont over think the problem, use what ever you want at home, but in the field just a cheap pair of pliers works for me

Latest posts

Back