Thinking on this

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can shoot long range with any twist rate, but only the faster twist rates will handle the high BC bullets (I would recommend 1:24 as a minimum for hunting at long range) but beyond a couple hundred yards you are going to lose quit a bit of energy. So, if hunting is your objective then increase the twist rate to stabilize those high BC bullets and maintain energy. If target shooting, then anything goes.

You can shoot long range with any twist rate, but only the faster twist rates will handle the high BC bullets (I would recommend 1:24 as a minimum for hunting at long range) but beyond a couple hundred yards you are going to lose quit a bit of energy. So, if hunting is your objective then increase the twist rate to stabilize those high BC bullets and maintain energy. If target shooting, then anything goes.
Energy depends on a couple different factors, primarily velocity, but importantly bullet weight.
Fast twist rates stabilize heavier bullets. I have no clue why they continue to make 1:28 twist barrels. Its old thinking from days when hunters were shooting lighter bullets in the old green sabots. LOL

120grs VOLUME of BH209, shooting a 350gr bullet yields...................

1690029782941.png

I couldn't agree more, what's aggravating to me is when you try to show people that there's much better options for the muzzle loading public ,much more efficient, much more versatile twist ,people circle the wagons often and wanted to defend the established norms.

I couldn't agree more, what's aggravating to me is when you try to show people that there's much better options for the muzzle loading public ,much more efficient, much more versatile twist ,people circle the wagons often and wanted to defend the established norms.
Norms........ LOL

Take for instance the Paramount and its PP twist rate of 22. The question has been asked numerous times right here on MM, why didn't they just do a 1:18 twist?

Back