Thinking on this

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 50 cal 70ML listed in the classifieds but not getting any bites on it.
Soooo, I know the .45 is preferred for long range but I just might throw one of my higher power scopes on this and start working on loads to stretch its legs and see what it can do.
Any bullet recommendations for a .50?

Soooo, I know the .45 is preferred for long range but I just might throw one of my higher power scopes on this and start working on loads to stretch its legs and see what it can do.
Full bore. .50 Fury star tip 2P [probably need an adjustable sizing die] or Fury .50 universal fit.
No idea on saboted stuff. X

My 700ML shoots 200 grain sst and 250 grain Branes TEZ very well with 78 grains by weight of BH209. It did not shoot Fury Universals well AT ALL. Key holed every bullet even at max powder loads.

The 250 Tez is a good place to start. If you're wanting longgg distance though a 290 might be better.

Mostly target Mike but could quite possibly be for hunting. I do have a ton of Barnes 290 gr TEZs which is what this rifle is sighted in for. I just need to swap out the scope. Now I'm not talking crazy long range. Max probably 500 yards
Once you start long range, life changes ;) You'll have a ton of fun.

I think that a sabot .45 bullet with a boat tail and a pointy tip would be the way to go. Especially if the pointy tip is a hollow point with the plastic pointed insert in it. A mild load of 70 to 80 grains of black powder or equivalent for the charge used.

Mostly target Mike but could quite possibly be for hunting. I do have a ton of Barnes 290 gr TEZs which is what this rifle is sighted in for. I just need to swap out the scope. Now I'm not talking crazy long range. Max probably 500 yards

If mostly target there really are some very good high BC bullets out there that will work very well for you from your Rem. And I would suggest many of them would harvest at a very long range. This is my point only, but I really do not prefer them at the closer ranges as I still want to use a bullet that creates a tremendous blow to the animal and can override, for the most part, the animals flight response.

Again, for myself here in northern Idaho I do not need the long range ability.

I think that a sabot .45 bullet with a boat tail and a pointy tip would be the way to go. Especially if the pointy tip is a hollow point with the plastic pointed insert in it. A mild load of 70 to 80 grains of black powder or equivalent for the charge used.
Boat tails in muzzleloaders give zero advantage. High velocity CF, yes, but not muzzleloaders.
For long range you really need bullets with very high BC.

If mostly target there really are some very good high BC bullets out there that will work very well for you from your Rem. And I would suggest many of them would harvest at a very long range. This is my point only, but I really do not prefer them at the closer ranges as I still want to use a bullet that creates a tremendous blow to the animal and can override, for the most part, the animals flight response.

Again, for myself here in northern Idaho I do not need the long range ability.

Boat tails in muzzleloaders give zero advantage. High velocity CF, yes, but not muzzleloaders.
For long range you really need bullets with very high BC.
Here's a small list of what I have
250 and 290 Barnes TEZs
250 and 300 Shockwaves
460 gr cast round nose
300 gr Traditions Smackdown
451 345 gr I-bullet
I also have a 440 gr .501" I-bullet type

Oh yea, I just dug out my scopes and none have target turrets. Guess I'll be searching Opticsplanet.com

Here's a small list of what I have
250 and 290 Barnes TEZs
250 and 300 Shockwaves
460 gr cast round nose
300 gr Traditions Smackdown
451 345 gr I-bullet
I also have a 440 gr .501" I-bullet type

Oh yea, I just dug out my scopes and none have target turrets. Guess I'll be searching Opticsplanet.com
As much as I've loved Barnes over the decades, I could never get them to shoot long range. 200yds yes, but further I had trouble with them. Sucks, because they're one heck of a hunting bullet. The 300gr Shockwaves might work pretty well.
There's no bottom to the rabbit hole........................ ;)

Boattails are a topic I’m curious about. Can you cite some papers or books on their use in muzzleloader bullets?
Not sure, but it may have been Wakeman, could have been an article in Sports Afield.
I've shot thousands of both the TMZ and T-EZ (flat base), around 2,000 a year. There was never even the most remote difference between the boat tails and flat base bullets of the same weight.

Trying to find it but, here's info on boattail vs flat base. Boattail vs. Flat Base Projectiles - Guns and Ammo

Last edited:
Not sure, but it may have been Wakeman, could have been an article in Sports Afield.
I've shot thousands of both the TMZ and T-EZ (flat base), around 2,000 a year. There was never even the most remote difference between the boat tails and flat base bullets of the same weight.
Let us know if you come up with anything.

Jeff Siewert says, in Ammunition Demystified, (a great book btw) that boattails reduce drag by 5-10% in the supersonic range and considerably more in the subsonic flight regime.

So they may have a beneficial effect although they do affect center of pressure and thus stability - so as with everything in the ballistics world, it may be considerably more complicated that we assume.

Let us know if you come up with anything.

Jeff Siewert says, in Ammunition Demystified, (a great book btw) that boattails reduce drag by 5-10% in the supersonic range and considerably more in the subsonic flight regime.

So they may have a beneficial effect although they do affect center of pressure and thus stability - so as with everything in the ballistics world, it may be considerably more complicated that we assume.
I have a dozen 290gr TMZ's you can have if you would like to test them against the 290gr T-EZ,, which I don't have any of.
.451" bullets and low velocities just don't really justify using boattails. However, I've used a lot of both.
If you want them, PM me an address and I'll be happy to send them to you.

Trying to find it but, here's info on boattail vs flat base. Boattail vs. Flat Base Projectiles - Guns and Ammo

That is a fascinating article for sure. Boat tail pointy bullets have always been shown in the bullet as having the best ballistic coefficients. So it is natural to think they are best for long range. But maybe that is the wrong way to think about it. But still if I remember correctly the boat tail bullets still have less bullet drop at range though. But with muzzle loaders we don’t get high velocities so maybe a boat tail would not help much if any. Still with a sabot it is sort of like making it into a flat base bullet until it leaves the barrel the the bullet and sabot part ways. Something that needs some testing for sure.

Back