Think I did a very dumb thing.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmuddydogs

Reaction score
Not posting this to be told how dumb I was as I have figured that out on my own. I'm not really sure what I did but I suspect I double charged my muzzy and touched her off.

Rifle and load specs. .50 cal Vortek Strikerfire, 300 grain cast lead .45 bullet in Harvester sabot, 110 grains volume 77 grains by weight premeasured BH209 powder charges and CCI mag 209 primers.

I had shot my muzzy 9 or 10 times before the incident, I am short an even 11 bullets and pre measured powder charges. Last shot I took recoiled so hard that the scope hit my glasses cutting my forehead and nose, my right middle finger feels about broken from slamming into the trigger guard and I cut my thumb on the cocking slide of the Strikerfire rifle. I was shooting off a bench with bags, my left hand was squeezing the rear bag and not holding the barrel down. Heck my hat got nocked off my head and the rear bag ended up on the ground as well.

Once before this today I was loading the rifle when a ceasefire was called so I layed it on the bench until after the cease fire. I just don't remember if I loaded the rifle this time before the ceasefire or not, but it was on the bench when I came back from checking my target and I decided to shoot my 7mm for a group and figured I would shoot the muzzy between shooting a couple groups out of the 7mm so it could cool. I put the muzzy in the rack and grabbed my 7mm, shot it a few times, put the 7mm on the rack and loaded up the muzzy and got punched in the face. All the primers before this fell out of the breech plug when I opened the action and pointed the barrel up, the primer involved with this incident had to be pulled out of the breech plug with a pair of pliers.

So what do you guys think does this sound like a double charge? Since I have an even number for bullets and powder vials gone I don't think I double charged just a bullet or powder. I use the 5ml vials which are full with 120 grains of BH209 and I don't think they would hold over 130 grains of BH209 and even then a 130 grain charge of BH209 shouldn't effect the rifle like that.

Do you guys think I damaged my rifle? I can't see any damage but I guess that doesn't mean much. I will contact Traditions and see what they think next week.

You may have bulged the barrel, Run a patch down on your cleaning jag and it you encounter a spot that is very loose all on the sudden than you bulged it. If not you got very lucky but I would have it inspected by a qualified smith to be safe. Witness marks on youe ram rod or range rod would prevent this from happening again.

I am glad you did not get hurt. The firearm is repairable/replaceable if damaged.
It certainly sounds like a double load of some sort. Distractions have helped cause those before.

Yep should have had a witness mark on the rod as it's a long range rod and I'm sure I didn't notice a couple extra inches more sticking out the bore. The rod on the rifle I know my index finger fits between the end of the barrel and end of the rod when loaded.

Figured I would try the patch deal or even push a bullet and sabot down the barrel to see if I can feel a bulge. Haven't yet as I have a slight headache and my nose hurts.

Starting to realize as I get older I need to focus on what i'm doing and leave myself reminders as I just don't remember things as well as I once did. Should have left a powder vial setting on the muzzy or maybe a primer just to remind me that it was loaded. Usually the range give a 2 minute warning before a ceasefire but a couple times today they just called it and at least once I was in the middle of loading.

Yep, your are fortunate - but safe. You live to shoot another day.. Probably better circumstance than the bullet 1/2 way down.
Maybe just tell them you are HOT, they should give you time to safely empty.
100gr vol of powder in a 50cal is 2" long, not including your bullet.
You mentioned 5ml vials, years ago someone gave me 100 - 5ml vials and I could only get about 80gr of BP in them.

I try to make it a habit not to speak to anyone while loading. This prevents me from getting distracted.

Glad you are ok. Good idea to contact Traditions, I'm thinking they will want to see the rifle.

Thank you for posting what happened, you most likely prevented someone from serious injury, others will read this and put a witness mark on their range/ram rods.

I hope everything turns out good for you with your rifle.

I cleaned the rifle then ran a dry patch down the bore which felt tight the whole way, ran a saboted bullet down the bore and there is an easy spot about halfway down the barrel and another closer to where I would think the load should be. Trouble is I don't know if these easy spots were there before this or after so not really sure if I bulged the barrel or not. Guess I will call Traditions and see whats up from there.

Wish I could chalk this up to a distraction but this was just me not paying enough attention to the task at hand.

Glad you are ok. I bet that was a big surprise. Luckily, I've never double loaded. I have dry loaded due to distraction, but knew it as soon as I did it.

If you play this game long enough, it will happen. I've dry balled and double loaded, although I didn't pull the trigger on the double load. Witness mark saved my butt!

Latest posts

Back