The Original 45cal arrived (pic heavy)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say it would be a project only a guy that is a machinist or has a buddy who is should tackle. Could be done, but quite a bit of unknowns. I would think you would have to use a factory centerfire action and do the mods.

GM54-120

In a gun like a Remington 700 ml or even a 700ml, which are threaded actions - it would be a pretty easy task for a gunsmith.

Actually most any center fire action might qualify...

sabotloader

Those would be an interesting conversion and the cost of the barrel is very fair. Threading and head spacing one should be no problem for a smith or machinist.

The Lehigh NFPJ is in and fits fine too. I just cleaned out all the old packing lube so im not going to do any primer tests atm. After i got is all cleaned up i used some MX Bore Conditioner. I will test some primers in a few days to see what it likes best.

This is the old "CrossFire" breach plug design for those that have never seen one.

Powder side
OrginalBP1.jpg

Orange FPJ side
OrginalBP2.jpg

All DISC based rifles in .45 came with 26" barrels.

The DISC Original in .50 came with a 22" barrel in 1997 and I believe changed to a 24" the following year. In 1999 they offered a 26" barrel along with the 24" barrel.

The Crossfire breechplug was an option available for the .50s. I believe the .45 DISC Originals came with them like GM54-120 posted as it was suppose to help burn heavy pellet loads which were all the rage back then.

Breech plug

When I bought my original Knight DISC rifle it cam e with a standard breech plug. I had to buy the Crossfire BP as an option when they came out.

Dave James said:
So what was the perceived problem with the 1x20 twist in the early guns??

There was not a very good selection of bullets back then along with the sabots could not handle the aditional stress created by the faster twist. The only sabots back then were MMPs. The polymer formulation was different back then also. Most had to use less than 100 gr of powder to get acceptable accuracy. Some reports I read were as low as 80 gr of powder. That did not make for a very Super .45.

That was pretty much its down fall. Its not that the twist was bad but claims of a 155gr bullet shooting well over 2400fps were absurd. You dont make a a very fast twist for super light weight bullets.

Traditions had the same problem with their 1-20s and load data from that time.

About that time most of the wildcat 40s/10mms were dead so heavier bullets dried up and even now the heaviest are usually 200-220gr .Those are considered large for today's 40cals. If 10mm and 10mm mag wildcats were still around things might have been different.

Now, some of the most popular inline 45s are smokeless with a 1-22 twist shooting 195 or 200gr bullets well over 2800fps in Harvester sabots. Im pretty sure a sub gun with a 1-20 would shoot just fine with the right bullets or even heavy conicals. Ive got a bunch of .401-260s ive been dying to try in a fast twist 45.

Its also my opinion a 1-20 twist might also help with BH209s pressure curves and would work quite well with a 200gr SST and especially the 200gr Lehigh. Sabotless should even have a nice advantage vs a 1-30.

my .45 Disc has a SS 26" barrel, The serial # is S0009XX , is it 1:20 twist?
It has the disc extreme (red FPJ) conversion kit.
Will the Lehigh conversion kit fit?

gshunter said:
sounds like that is a 1/20" :D and the lehigh plug should fit(i've converted 2 originals and both work great!)you can check the twist with your ramrod by hand tightening a cleaning jag on one end and using a tight patch. on the other end install another jag loose and hold that jag.push the rod to the end of the barrel then put a piece of tape on and mark the top.pull the rod out 20" holding on the loose jag.if it makes a complete revolution it's a 1/20,if it only goes about 2/3's around it's a 1/30 twist....karl

k

I actually did that on mine and it made a full revolution way before reaching the bottom. It looked like about 20" too when i measured it on the rod. I did this about 5 times to make sure.

My serial is over 6700 so im a bit confused. Even looking at the rifling it appears to make more than a complete revolution. One thing for sure, mine has a very tight bore. Its right at .450. Sized 451s fit my Elite but they wont even start in the Original.

gshunter said:

Your .45 DISC should be a 1:20 twist, mine is and the serial # is S0038XX. The kit should fit as long as you already have the Extreme Bolt.

GM54-120 said:
k

I actually did that on mine and it made a full revolution way before reaching the bottom. It looked like about 20" too when i measured it on the rod. I did this about 5 times to make sure.

My serial is over 6700 so im a bit confused. Even looking at the rifling it appears to make more than a complete revolution. One thing for sure, mine has a very tight bore. Its right at .450. Sized 451s fit my Elite but they wont even start in the Original.

i would think its almost impossible to mistake a 1/20 for 1/30 so i think your gonna be a very happy camper :wink: it also sounds like you might have a nice bore for going sabotless,have you tried to load by giving a .451 a good "pop" with a short starter?a harvester smooth blue sabot is gonna fit nice i'ma thinkin........karl

gm54-120;i should have added if you are gonna go naked you should talk to the o-ring king(Busta)i do believe he has shot alot sabotless out of his 1/20..........karl

I was able to get a cast bullet to start that i sized to .451. it starts with a slight pop to the starter but loads with thumb pressure in my Elite.

Im very happy with the tighter bore too. The Harvester Smooths and CRs should shoot better for me now. They are ok in the Elite but the MMPs shot just as well with a few exceptions. My local Grafs stocks both for about $5.50/50 so im a happy camper.

Now i need to order a custom .449 Lee sizing die and then knurl them up and a .450 die to compare results.. :D

GM54-120

You should probably count on that new bore opening up a bit as you shoot it and break it in. The lands are probably really sharp and a bit restrictive right now and as you shoot it they will become polished and smoother, unless you have already ran a JB treatment.

As for your twist rate, your barrel is outside the serial number that Gordy suggested were 1-20's... but just for drill run the twist rate on your Elite 45 and see what you might get.... or have you already?

sabotloader

I didn't use JB or the MX Bore Polish since its very nice already. Very smooth consistent feeling with a tight patch and a loaded sabot the entire length. I did use the MX Copper Cream which is very mild to give it a really good cleaning.

I will give it a better comparison to my Elite tonight. Looks like im going to be snowed in after tonight or tomorrow anyway. :D

If the serial range is correct, the only way i can see it being a 1-20 is if it was sent back to Knight for a blemish and they put on an older fast twist barrel. Chances of that are pretty slim.

Back