Saturdays take

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
Saturday was a perfect day for rabbits. There was virtually no snow but at 8 am it snowed about 1/2 inch. So everything was fresh. We lefty my house and walked 200 yards to the field we were going to hunt. Its a hundred acres of abandoned field with all kinds of perfect rabbit habitat. My buddy and I took separate paths and soon he yells he jumped one and its heading in my direction. Little did he know the rabbit was already sitting 15 feet away and didn't seem to have a clue. My mighty 410 single shot at the ready the little bugger went from 0-60mph in 3 feet. I had a shot but believe the damage would have ruined the rabbit so he won that encounter.

I followed the dog as the dog followed the trail and jumped another just 50 yards from the first. He headed behind me again without a shot so I stood my ground and waited. The dog was out of ear shot for some time then was starting to get closer. I heard my buddy shoot but he yelled two rabbits coming your way. Before he was done yelling the first rabbit appeared and fell to my powerful 410. :D Im reloading and can do it pretty quick but blew the second shot at the second rabbit. However I reloaded and the next shot connected. Two rabbits down. We jumped a couple more, they were going a long way out before coming back to the point of origin. Eventually one came back and we had 3.

We moved about a quarter mile to get into some fresh area. We had hardly arrived when the dog started in. Again he went far and my buddy motioned and said birch tree. I immediately knew what he meant and moved as quickly as I could 100 yards to the top of a hill where a birch tree was. We have chased rabbits passed that tree many times. I hadn't even settled in when the rabbit came hopping through. Finally a nice easy shot. Number 4.

While I was lining up to kill number 4 I saw another rabbit running a path 80 yards to my left. When my buddy arrived we took the dog over to the track and he was off on another. We spread out and after 20-30 minutes I caught the rabbit already behind me. The dog followed and I relocated 50 yards. I looked back and my buddy had done the same. Again the dog went out of ear shot and after a while he is heard coming back. My buddy had the right spot and soon a hear a boom. He yells out he got it.

We started hunting at 10:00am and finished at 2:30. We figure the dog was on a rabbit for all but maybe 20 minutes of that whole time. He had a tracking collar and it totaled nearly 5 miles. We figure he tracked the last rabbit for a full mile.

The dog in the picture is 14 years old. My buddy has 3 dogs and we run them individually. These 5 are added in to the 31 rabbits so far. We are trying for 50.

IMG_0404.JPG

Saturday was a perfect day for rabbits. There was virtually no snow but at 8 am it snowed about 1/2 inch. So everything was fresh. We lefty my house and walked 200 yards to the field we were going to hunt. Its a hundred acres of abandoned field with all kinds of perfect rabbit habitat. My buddy and I took separate paths and soon he yells he jumped one and its heading in my direction. Little did he know the rabbit was already sitting 15 feet away and didn't seem to have a clue. My mighty 410 single shot at the ready the little bugger went from 0-60mph in 3 feet. I had a shot but believe the damage would have ruined the rabbit so he won that encounter.

I followed the dog as the dog followed the trail and jumped another just 50 yards from the first. He headed behind me again without a shot so I stood my ground and waited. The dog was out of ear shot for some time then was starting to get closer. I heard my buddy shoot but he yelled two rabbits coming your way. Before he was done yelling the first rabbit appeared and fell to my powerful 410. :D Im reloading and can do it pretty quick but blew the second shot at the second rabbit. However I reloaded and the next shot connected. Two rabbits down. We jumped a couple more, they were going a long way out before coming back to the point of origin. Eventually one came back and we had 3.

We moved about a quarter mile to get into some fresh area. We had hardly arrived when the dog started in. Again he went far and my buddy motioned and said birch tree. I immediately knew what he meant and moved as quickly as I could 100 yards to the top of a hill where a birch tree was. We have chased rabbits passed that tree many times. I hadn't even settled in when the rabbit came hopping through. Finally a nice easy shot. Number 4.

While I was lining up to kill number 4 I saw another rabbit running a path 80 yards to my left. When my buddy arrived we took the dog over to the track and he was off on another. We spread out and after 20-30 minutes I caught the rabbit already behind me. The dog followed and I relocated 50 yards. I looked back and my buddy had done the same. Again the dog went out of ear shot and after a while he is heard coming back. My buddy had the right spot and soon a hear a boom. He yells out he got it.

We started hunting at 10:00am and finished at 2:30. We figure the dog was on a rabbit for all but maybe 20 minutes of that whole time. He had a tracking collar and it totaled nearly 5 miles. We figure he tracked the last rabbit for a full mile.

The dog in the picture is 14 years old. My buddy has 3 dogs and we run them individually. These 5 are added in to the 31 rabbits so far. We are trying for 50.

View attachment 41706
I could not buy a bunny here if I tried , not even track but 30 yrs ago a fresh snow had a rabbit track every square inch . Haven't had a beagle in the kennel for 20 + yrs ,sure do miss them dem wabbits !/Ed

View attachment 41706
Sounds like you had a great day!

One of my all-time favorite dogs was a beagle - fantastic with the kids, an absolute rascal who kept us entertained 24-7, and sweet as can be. I would have loved to hunt rabbits with her, but never did.

View attachment 41706
I love the puppy door!

Beagles and snowshoe hares or cottontails. The best hunts ever!! You can talk, and don't have to worry about wind/scent. Four of us had beagles, I had George and Louie. The best dogs ever, Tim had many more, all good, and Mike and Lynn each had one. A gang of 4 beagles all chasing the same rabbit, all with sight bellering, is the most awesome part of any hunt. We only used 22 cal semi auto pistols. Then the wolves and fishers and bobcats, mostly fishers, killed all the rabbits and hares. There were no rabbits to hunt and all the beagles got old and died. We hunted as a group for about 20 years. Almost every weekend for 4 months of the Wisconsin winter. Absolutely the best of times.

Our rabbit population was down last year but better this year. Outside my front door there is 70 acres of property that has not been touched in 40 years. It is absolutely perfect rabbit habitat. Combinations of pine trees, multi flora rose bushes, goldenrod, downfalls, fence rows, sumac's. All in various maturity.

I was shooting my 20 gauge semi auto pheasant gun but decided to get out my 410 I bought when I was 12. With 2 1/2 inch #4 its all the gun I need.

View attachment 41706
Nice Harvest of Bunnies Snapbang ! I love Rabbit pie !

This post brings back memories. My dad was a "dog man", If you couldn't use a dog to hunt it, he wasn't interested in it.
My first ever shot at a game animal was with his single shot 20 gauge, rabbit hunting in the snow. I missed of course.
He taught me to lead em a little when they were going fast, I didn't miss many more.
Someday I'll post the story of him sending me to Ripley, Mississippi with a trade shotgun and orders to bring back some beagles.

We are at 46 rabbits, Have a couple weeks to get our 50.

I haven't told this story. A few weeks ago we were chasing rabbits and I am standing on a wet hole edge. I didn't see the rabbit go by but the dog was crossing the ice and broke through. He wasn't getting out so I started busting ice to get to him. The ice got thicker as I approached so I had to retreat and try another way. The dog was struggling and I wasn't sure I could get there in time. I was getting exhausted and fighting thick ice in 3 feet of water. I said a prayer to give me energy and to keep me from having a heart attack. It worked and I made my way to a dog that was just about to go under.

It kind of haunts me a little cause the look on the dogs face was helpless. Not sure how much more energy he had. I grabbed him by the collar and hauled him out. My buddy had told me about this kind of thing happening but we thought conditions were cold enough to avoid this situation. If he hadn't told me about it I may not have recognized what was going on as I didn't have a direct line of sight on the dog when it happened. So be careful of the ice out there.

I haven't told this story. A few weeks ago we were chasing rabbits and I am standing on a wet hole edge. I didn't see the rabbit go by but the dog was crossing the ice and broke through. He wasn't getting out so I started busting ice to get to him. The ice got thicker as I approached so I had to retreat and try another way. The dog was struggling and I wasn't sure I could get there in time. I was getting exhausted and fighting thick ice in 3 feet of water. I said a prayer to give me energy and to keep me from having a heart attack. It worked and I made my way to a dog that was just about to go under.

It kind of haunts me a little cause the look on the dogs face was helpless. Not sure how much more energy he had. I grabbed him by the collar and hauled him out. My buddy had told me about this kind of thing happening but we thought conditions were cold enough to avoid this situation. If he hadn't told me about it I may not have recognized what was going on as I didn't have a direct line of sight on the dog when it happened. So be careful of the ice out there.
Good for you! I think I would have tried the same if I knew it might have been my end. Dogs have souls. Take care of them.

Attachments

• Billy Graham dog.jpg
    Billy Graham dog.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1

Sounds like you had a close call, Snapbang, but God was watching over you!

I'm always worried about strong currents, thin ice, and hypothermia whenever I hunt ducks with my pup in cold weather. Sometimes they are just too enthusiastic about making that retrieve, and you have to wonder whether they really understand the dangers to begin with.

Today we went out to kill number 50. Only needed one and it took a while but we did find a victim. It was a bit windy and no snow but the 14 year old beagle stuck with it. In fact after we killed the rabbit we unloaded the guns and just let him harass the rabbits for an hour. Enjoy Easter with your families this weekend and the following weekend we hope to start fishing.

IMG_3675.JPG My buddy with the beagle. Same little beagle I fished out of the ice.

Back