The Original 45cal arrived (pic heavy)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
These are just a few pics for now. Im going to dress it up in a few minutes with the Extreme bolt, NFPJ and a laminate stock.

Orginal1.jpg

Orginal2.jpg

Orginal3.jpg

Orginal4.jpg

Its hard to believe this ole gal was still laying around NIB with all accessories and i even have 10 Knight Bucks too. :D

Knight

Nice It is a fine lookin piece. I'm sure it will shoot like the rest of the Knights . Great!
Wayles

GM54-120;is this one a 1/20" that you've been wanting 8) .....karl

Getting close. :D

OrginalLaminate5.jpg

OrginalLaminate6.jpg

OrginalLaminate8.jpg

I got a Woodie. :lol:

No, sadly it is NOT a 1-20 according to the serial #6300+. :( I knew it wasnt but i couldnt pass it up for the price. My NFPJ arrived today too. I think my Elite is getting jealous.

smyrnagc

This one is from Green Mountain. Its the OEM stock from my GMB54-120. I have a composite TH on it right now.

Knight may have some laminates for sale but they might be expensive.

GM54-120

I wonder where Green Mountain was getting those stocks.... It looks lighter than anything other than a thumbhole that you migh get from Knight...

If you get a chance weigh that stock for me...

That is a good looking outfit the way you have it now.... but I'll bet it will be a boring shooter.... just point and click.... :)

sabotloader

It is really light, on the GMB its a total of 6.5lbs. it feels about the same as a MK85 composite in weight. The hand swell (grip) and checking is about perfect on the trigger hand. Kinda slim so with gloves it fits well. The forearm has checkering on the bottom of the stock.

It would have a better feel on a 24" barrel IMO. It feels like it needs a bit more forearm for this 26" barrel and 1/2" more LOP. It really needs a Walnut for an Original. :D

I may call them Monday and see what happened to the old GMB54 stocks. I heard the barrels are gone and a rumor that Knight has them.

Hey, on certain meds, you know if you still have that woodie after 4 hours- you gotta go to the Dr! :lol:

Rumor I heard was that Knight was thinking about the 54-120 but with a 24" barrel. My 54-120 shoulders great and shoots a lot of different bullet combo's very well. I really think it would have been a seller for Knight with the carbine barrel. I am just glad I bought mine from Green Mountain for a grand total of $424.00 shipped before Knight got new owners.

Oh by the way nice looking DISC.

GM54-120 said:
Getting close. :D

OrginalLaminate5.jpg

OrginalLaminate6.jpg

OrginalLaminate8.jpg

I got a Woodie. :lol:

No, sadly it is NOT a 1-20 according to the serial #6300+. :( I knew it wasnt but i couldnt pass it up for the price. My NFPJ arrived today too. I think my Elite is getting jealous.
Love that stock, where is the Ml from

skullmount said:
What is meant by the "original 45" ?

The first DISC rifles that came out in 1997 are now known as the Original DISC. Knight even used this description in their later manuals. The .45s were called Super DISC .45. The Original DISC was replaced by the DISC Extreme in 2002, but they were still offered after that for a couple of years IIRC. The DISC Original uses the Orange DISC to hold the 209 primer and the stock is different. An Extreme stock is a direct replacement as GM54-120 showed. The Extreme bolt assembly will fit also and there are conversion kits available to do this. If you find them for a good deal they are worth buying IMO.

Great looking rifle, "After" you swapped the stocks IMO. I hate that original stock with the "hooked" butt stock. Being short armed I never could shoulder that rifle, and I tried several when they first came out, it always caught me in the arm pit. I even called and discussed it with the Knight Custom shop, when they had one, but they did not have another stock for it then. That is when they turned me on to the MK-95 with it's straight stock design.

But after reading the above posts, I now know the extreme stock is a direct replacement. CRAP! Now I got to look out for one of these. You guys are a BAD influence! :wink: :lol:

jsteurrys said:
skullmount said:

The first DISC rifles that came out in 1997 are now known as the Original DISC. Knight even used this description in their later manuals. The .45s were called Super DISC .45. The Original DISC was replaced by the DISC Extreme in 2002, but they were still offered after that for a couple of years IIRC. The DISC Original uses the Orange DISC to hold the 209 primer and the stock is different. An Extreme stock is a direct replacement as GM54-120 showed. The Extreme bolt assembly will fit also and there are conversion kits available to do this. If you find them for a good deal they are worth buying IMO.

jsteurrys is correct... my bolt and Lehigh conversion from either my .45 or .50 Elite will fit my .50 Original DISC. 8)

skullmount said:

Most of the above was covered already but this is the history as i understand it. I could be wrong so dont take my word as the gospel truth. Any corrections would be appreciated.

Original DISCs had a 24in barrel and orange FPJs. IIRC most if not all 45s were a 1-20.

The "Super" DISC had a 26" fluted barrel, and orange FPJs. Only the early serial numbers were 1-20. SS and Blue had different cutoff numbers.

Serial number change for the .45 twist rate was anything prior to #2291 on mild steel and #5043 on stainless were 1:20 twist. Mine is over 6000 so it doesnt appear to be a 1-20. :(

Both had composite stocks like the composite on mine and a Walnut stock with a bit different shape. Extreme stocks appear to be a direct swap. Both my laminate and TH composite fit perfect. The early OEM composite stocks were really rugged and heavy. Mine feels like the butt is solid or close to solid and the recoil pad is very nice. (soft)

Anyone that already has an Extreme and probably an Elite has everything they need to make it use either a NFPJ or a red FPJ. Elite stocks may not fit without a little work in the barrel channel do to the barrel contour.

Ive got a thing for old NIB and to me it ups the value a little bit so i had to get one even if it wasn't a 1-20. The price was excellent and its one of the few i dont have in my collection. Wally was nice enough to spend nearly an hour on the phone with me going over serials just to make sure. He did have some VERY low serial Elites and still has a couple more in blue. At first it appeared i did find a SuperDISC 45 under 500 but it was an Elite. Another member here got it though so im happy for him.

I have NO connection to this seller other than wanting this forums members to get first shot at them. It looks like my idea worked and he sold quite a few from my post and is down to 3 left. Considering the cost of new Knights and other used prices rising i felt it was a good buy.

The earliest Original he has is a 50cal blued with a 24" for just $199. If you want a more compact DISC. This would be a great option if you already have an Extreme.

Some interesting tidbits:

Originals has a "crossfire" breach plug that would use a orange FPJ and either 209 or percussion caps. There is a small adapter mentioned in the manual. The powder side looks different than any else ive seen. it has a big cross shaped pocket and the flash hole is super close to the FPJ with basically no flash channel.

The firing pin has a very short amount of travel so lock time should be very good. Its does NOT move back like a red FPJ, It achieves its seal from the FPJ crush on closing (slight camming action) and seals out the elements very well.

My Knight bucks were dated 2005?

Let me know if you would like pics of the "crossfire" breach plug. I haven't looked for the percussion adapter in my parts bag though. It fits in the FPJ IIRC according to the manual.

I want to shoot it very badly but if someone has a 45cal 1-20 for trade i would like to hear the offer. Only SS please and a 24" is preferred. I will keep it unfired for a bit just in case since i REALLY want a 1-20 and someone would get an excellent trade if theirs has a mint bore.

Smyers

Ive heard similar rumors about the leftover GMB54 barrels and IMO a 22-24" would be ideal. My MK85 54 is also a 24" and balances super nice for a full sized gun. Actually only the Elite feels as good. My GMB54 is insanely accurate with the short barrel but i would like a tad more fps with max loads. If they offered a 54cal with a faster twist 24" i would do whatever it takes to get one. My guess is they will more likely offer a 52cal carbine even though i feel the 54 has some advantages with 54x50 sabots considering new bullet options and other sabot options. Mine will shoot some 458s in a 54x45 sabot VERY well too.

If you could have them machined to fit in "XXX" action, machine the barrel for breechplug and have the bolt modded to fire (headspaced), you could get the factory seconds GMB sells. They claim to have 1:20 and 1:30 twists cut off of Knights. It could get expensive, but the barrels arent much. See:

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdet ... ?id=324032

MQ32shooter

Those would require a ton of work. Ive checked into them before. Im not sure if threading and cutting the action and threading the barrel cutoffs would be an easy task. IIRC the first MKs had a threaded barrel (mine doesn't appear to be) and might be the easiest way to make use of those barrels.

Very interesting idea though for someone with deep pockets.

Now for some pics with an Extreme TH stock. This combo feels like something in between and Elite and an Extreme. Probably just like a MHC.

OrginalTH1.jpg

OrginalTH2.jpg

OrginalTH3.jpg

Back