The Love of the 32 Cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAKnight

Reaction score
Here in Virginia, we cannot carry anything but a muzzle loader during muzzle loading season (except for sidearms with a concealed carry license).

I had issues with that for a long time, since early muzzle loading season for deer timed the same as gun season for turkey.

There were many times while hunting that groups of turkeys would wander near my stands in the woods an hour or two before the deer would wander the ridge lines near me. At last, I found my solution a couple of years ago. I ordered a 32 cal caplock (basically a Hawkin style) and carry it with me often during muzzle loading season. I made a rack to keep it by me in my favorite stands. Here in VA, in deer muzzle loading season, you can carry more than one muzzle loader.

When I first got the 32, I ordered 4 boxes of buffalo ballets (like a miniball...pre-lubed...no patch needed). The company does not seem to make them anymore, which saddens me. I drive them with 40 gr loose 777 and they zing out at about 2000 fps and make an EXCELLENT turkey killing round. So now, when out hunting, I am comfotable with taking either game.

Has anyone else out there hunted with the little 32 cal muzzle loader?

Used to own a traditions .36 rifle. Great shooting rifle with 30gr pyrodex P and a tiny round ball, used to cut rabbits right in half and made for easy gutting :lol: Regret selling it!

What 32 are you shooting?

Crockett squirrel rifle...it is quite deadly...1" - 1-1/4" groups at 50 yards with iron sites.

I've heard that those are some excellent squirrel and rabbit killers. May have to keep an eye open on the used market for one.

They will pretty much handle anything a 22 mag can. Best part is that the buffalo ballet is easy to load and makes a clean, nodestructive kill and medium to small game.

I have yet to try it on squirrel yet...the old Marlin 60 is just to darn good at it!

Latest posts

Back