TC Black Diamond

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rost495

Reaction score
Question for my nephew that will be going with me on our first MZ elk hunt this fall.

He has a 209 ignition system in place. The problem is that the primers often take pliers and an awl to get back out of the system once fired. And a lot of the time they are so loose they'll fall out IE the new ones are not snug at all.

Any solutions to the above issue or just send the unit back to TC?

Also he has been shooting Barnes X and they do super. Of course Colorado won't allow a sabot. Thoughts on bullets to use please.

Now if I could convince him to dump those crazy fire sights... we'd be in good shape.

Thanks, Jeff

Since he is shooting a Thompson Center Black Diamond have him check the retaining spring located on the 209 nipple. If that spring is worn, broke or missing it will hold the primer so loose that it will fall out. If you shoot, it will drive it into the nipple and then over expand making it near impossible to get back out. I would suggest to check that and if it is worn, get a new spare nipple to take with you hunting. My Black Diamond XR did the same thing until I replaced the 209 nipple.

Since in Colorado they do not allow sabots that means you have to look at some conicals. I would suggest some of the 460 grain No Excuse Conicals on 80 grains of Triple Se7en. You can also try some of the 385 grain Hornady Great Plains Conicals with a sub base under them. I shoot them with 100 grains of Goex 2f and they do a real good job also. The Black Diamond XR will also shoot the maxi ball very well. All of them should get the job done on an elk. I suggest try them and then use what ever shoots the best.

Also if you are shooting loose powder give the Remington Kleenbore Primers a try. They do not stretch the 209 retaining spring. If your shooting Pellets then I like the Winchester W209 (blue box) primers.

noexcuses.jpg

This was shot at 100 yards off shooting sticks with my Black Diamond XR and the No Excuse Conicals. It is the best I have ever done with the rifle. I never swabbed the bore. And although 85 grains of Goex 3f might not sound like a lot, with that much lead there is a lot of energy going on there.

We went to Co. ML last year we used 348 grain powerbelts and killed 2 elk, one bull, one cow. Cow was shot at 177 yds. with 115 grains of T7.
Bullets did Ok. Both were shot with an Omega, however my nephew used a Black diamond and it shot the same load very well out to 160 yards. This was with a peep sight. Hopefully will go back this year I will get a deer tag and hopefully a cow tag on second choice My brother will get a bull tag.
Redclub

If he's shooting loose powder why not just chuck the 209 and go back to RWS 1075 cap? I'll second the No Excuses suggestion either 460 or 495 gr. Lyman 57????

#11 cap with 120 gr. loose pyrodex has always been dead reliable ignition for me in my Black Diamond. My only problem is in the rain. Even in light rain I have had hangfires and no fires. I fire it about noon and reload if I am staying out all day. Also once I had a no fire from condensation from temperature changes due to bringing the charged gun inside for the night and back outside in cold weather. Now I lock it in the truck at night and be sure to put it in the truck bed to keep it cold during the drive to my hunting location.
A .430" Hornaday XTP with #6750 Hornaday green sabot completes the load and is all I have used since 1998. It kills deer fine and is inexpensive too.

My Black Diamond is the earlier model with the 22" barrel. It currently uses musket caps. My gun shoots the 350 grain Hornady FPB well: 2" three shot groups at 100 yards. Some friends used the 350 grain FPB bullet on elk and it performed well for them.

My Black Diamond also loves the 350g FPB's. I would check out Thor bullets they will send you a free trail tube so you pick the correct size.

Switch to musket caps. You will get a few benefits from them not least of which is a better moisture / gas seal for the powder charge. Look at your 209 primer nipple and you will notice that there is a large ( ish) amount of space between the business end of the primer and the bottom of its recess in the holder ( Flamethrower). This allows moisture, even humidity, to enter and ALOT of powder gasses to escape. This is the reason Black Diamonds and similar designs have the reputation for being dirty rifles. The reduction in breech fouling is astonishing. 10 shots with musket caps leaves the same fouling as 3 from 209's. My daughter's Traditions Tracker got significantly more accurate switching from 209 to musket cap ignition and my .50 cal XR increased its accuracy and gained 100fps ( chrono'd) with identical loads, just from going to a single port Ampco musket nipple in place of the flamethrower nipple. You'll also be fine in areas that don't allow 209's. Dont worry about ignition. I once dry balled a Lee 325gr minie and also forgot my ball puller... 3 CCI musket caps later it popped right out of the muzzle. The reason I haven't mentioned #11's is my Diamond simply destroys the poor things. Generally all that is left is a disc of copper over the nipple throat and the rest has gone God knows where. Best of luck!

Confederate Rifleman is right about using musket caps.

My Black Diamond was converted to musket caps soon after i bought it. Its a plain old TC musket nipple. The TC Flame Thrower musket cap nipple with its three holes still allowed too much gas to escape.

Latest posts

Back