First ML Whitetail

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller2843

Reaction score
2612782160105749608ECeBZg_th.jpg

Hi all. I decided earlier this year to get myself a muzzleloader and try taking a Maine whitetail with it. After lurking on this site for a while, picking up a plethora of information from you all, I found a load that worked for my Traditions Pursuit LT Accelerator, and I hit the woods. At about 3pm yesterday, this guy presented me with a broadside shot at about 40yds. A 240gr XTP on top of 85 grains/vol BH209 went completely through him and he dropped after approximately a thirty yard dash. The bullet hit his heart and removed a third of it. After years of hunting with 30/30s, 308s and a 30-06, I thought it was time to try something a little more challenging. What a blast! Thanks for all the information I picked up here, this site is great!

Welcome to the ADDICTION.....we will all help with your treatment. Congratulations.

Congratulations! 8) You will never forget that first one with the smoke pole. :)

Nice shooting... sounds like that is a real good load you have there. Muzzleloaders sure are fun... The next one is even better.

Congrats and the post about the addiction is correct....funny how a little success does that.

Thanks to all. Agian, if it weren't for the information I picked up here, I'd probably still be wondering which end to stuff the powder down. :roll: Okay, not really, but I did pick up a lot of information that definitely helped with my success! Too bad we only get to take 1 here in Maine. I'd really like to do that again. Only eleven and a half months to go! :lol:

Cnngrats on your first deer with a muzzleloader. Mine was a small spike a couple of years ago and you would have thought i just killed a boone and crocket. Which 240gr. XTP were you using. The .452 or the .430?

Latest posts

Back