My CVA struggle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE.... So after trying HLBCR and MMP sabots with different bullets and the ELRs, I have been unable to produce reasonable (to me) accuracy. I have recently tried using Parker Ballistic Extremes bore sized. The first 3 shots at 200 were touching so I was very optimistic...... Then the next two went out of the group 4" and 18" respectively :mad: . This happened to varying degrees with multiple powder charges and degrees of sizing...... What I did notice is that the last 6" of barrel towards the breech, when loading, the bullet literally dropped onto the felt wad or powder...... I hadn't noticed this with sabots...... To be clear, I didn't realize that the way the sabots felt was unusual because of my sabot use ignorance. I attributed the differing loading resistance to plastic being somewhat grabby on the metal bore then freeing up as more pressure was applied (or something like that). But the bore sized bullets allowed me to notice this striking anomaly. I hadn't even noticed this while cleaning. Of course I am assuming this isn't normal. I would assume that I should be experiencing the same loading pressure the entire way down the bore more or less. Any thoughts?

I'm leaning that way myself. Contacted BPI and we've started the process...… We'll see where this goes. I'm probably going to ship it out Monday since I'm working. This is the first rifle that I've had to return for a major issue..... Guess I was due.🤔

My first late-model CVA was one of the original Apex 50 caliber muzzleloader‘s. It would not group any better than about 8 inches at 100 yards no matter what I tried. I was so frustrated I was about ready to wrap it around a tree.
Fortunately I was able to get in touch with someone on a forum that knew everything there was to know about these rifles and he suggested one little change. Harvester EZ load smooth sabots
The gun came to life immediately and turn down my best 2 hundred yard group to this day. Three shots covered by a nickel.

I would have CVA check the barrel just to make sure there isn’t a problem but I would also try to smooth sabots

Good luck,

Greg

A 2.75” group at 200 yards with a muzzleloader doesn’t seem bad enough to push a warranty issue to me.

so what size group would be acceptabl?

Southdakbearfa, the 2.75" group was the best out of many, many combinations. My additional concern is the consistency as well. There are times where it will shoot 3 or 4 rounds into a 1.5" group and then throw 1 or 2 rounds out.......WAY out (see included pics). Most of the groupings at 200 hover around 4-6". All of this is a moot point anyway because of the bore inconsistency issue (see previous post☝). To directly answer your question about acceptable accuracy, if it will consistently print 5 rounds 2" or less at 200 I'll be content. I don't think that is an unreasonable level of accuracy to ask for a modern muzzleloader with a modern barrel shooting precision bullets with centerfire primers, modern propellants and excellent optics. If I could dope wind and hold over well enough and had hawk like vision, I'd use my patch ball gun that can produce that level of accuracy😎. Even if I wanted to strap a scope back on that rifle and use it, a ball is a less than ideal projectile at 200+/- anyway. My hope is that CVA will warranty this barrel/rifle. Cheers

Attachments

• group 1.jpg
    group 1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 13
  • group 2.jpg
    group 2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 12
  • group 3.jpg
    group 3.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 10
I finally sent my .45 Accura V2 back to CVA. I could not get it to group well. I also noticed a difference in the loading resistance as the bullet went down the barrel. I sent it back to CVA, and when they sent it back it was much better. They never told me so, but I assume they replaced the barrel. The did replace the bent breechplug. When I installed the BH breechplug on the old barrel, it came out dented as well. Definitely not the most accurate muzzleloader I own. I had an old Buckhorn that was very accurate.

Latest posts

Back