My CVA struggle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR GRENDEL

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been lurking for here for a while picking up any information that I can from this outstanding site. ( Special thanks to Ninering62)
I recently purchased a CVA Accura V2 LR.45 new for hunting on a new lease that offers obscene distances to shoot. Not that I want to shoot that far (my personal limit is under 300) but I was after a rifle to get that'd get me close. Inter the Accura.
So...
Things I've done:
1. Cleaned and inspected rifle
2. Degreased. lapped and mounted scope base and rings with lock-tite (Leupold CDS)
3. Got rifle bore sighted and on paper at 100
4. Purchased LMRP breech
5. At 200, tried Fury 240 grain in LBCR with 77gr By weight BH209 and Fed Match LMRP and Fed 209 primers as well (best group 3.75" 5rds)
6 At 200, tried Pittman 225 in LBCR with " " " (best group 2.75 with called flyer 5rds)
7. Same for the PB ELR 280s with worsening group size. All of the bullets were shot with charges from 84gr-75gr by weight in 1 grain increments.
8. All the above with different forearm placements, different holds on rifle. Conditions were as close to perfect as possible. Shots called and wind accounted for (what little there was)
Things I haven't done:
1. Different shooter
2. Different scope
3. Different powder
I don't want to believe that I'm the weak link but it has occurred to me. At this point any of my patch ball rifles will shoot better at 100 and at 200 one will definitely outshoot it.
Please, any suggestions or constructive observations are greatly appreciated. I don't want to through in the towel on this rifle yet but its failing to produce (in my opinion) decent accuracy. To the admin, if this is misplaced or excessive, my apologies.
Thank you
David

You are the 2nd person ive seen post that is not overly thrilled with the accuracy of that particular rifle. I would suggest a tighter fitting sabot of a larger OD bullet in the LBCRs. The plain light blue Harvester will load just slightly tighter. The MMP Tan will be quite a bit tighter. Its almost .003 larger loaded OD.

The MMP Tan will be about .456 when loaded with a .400 bullet. If your lands are .452 that should be close to perfect. Sabots hate a warm barrel too. Allow plenty of time for the barrel to cool between shots. If the barrel feels warm to the touch its too warm for sabots. Ditching sabots entirely and getting a adjustable sizing die is also a good option but you will need bullets that start at a larger OD than your lands so you can size them just right.

I only shoot real black powder but I have learned that there is a difference in 2f and 3f. Even different brands are a bit different in performance.
I'd say to try a different powder. That may or may not be your solution.

I know it been done but 300 yards is a lot for a muzzleloader. I've hunted property that 500 yards was a possibility but I limited myself to 150 yard shots on whitetail while I practiced regularly out to 200.

Thank you all for your insight. GM54-120 I just ordered some tan MMPs and I'll get some blues as well. I had a feeling that may be an issue. The crush ribs went down fairly easy but I don't have a point of reference. PP bullets and GG bullets go down with just light pressure, such as the weight of the rod. I was expecting more resistance than that, which I did get. deermanok I've got some 777 3f that I'm going to try as well. I really want to stick with BH209 but at this point I'm willing to concede on that. Saxtonyoung I try to keep all shots under 100 anywhere I hunt. I do most of my hunting with patch ball so I really have to. This new local does afford the opportunity to stretch my range a little if I choose and that was the intent for Accura.

You guys are awesome, thanks again

MMP Tans may or may not hold up as well for you with heavy loads. The Harvester is usually a bit tougher sabot. All my 45s have tight bores so loading the MMPs would be hard to test with some of the newer 40s available these days.

I agree with ditching the sabot, get an adjustable die. With 275gr Accumax and the 84w of Blackhorn with a dry wool wad. I believe you would be surprised at the difference.

I've contemplated going to a naked bullet with this rifle. What I'm leery of is that the bore is really oversized for the majority of manufactures standard bullets. The idea of knurling or otherwise "bumping up" an undersized bullet then having to size back down seems like work lol. I've heard Parker bullets will do special diameters on there bullets for a price and that may be an option. My next big purchase will probably be a Hank sizing die anyway. After I exhaust my options with this rifle (to include naked bullets) I'll need the sizing die for the Knight mountaineer that I'll buy after selling my CVA at Tulsa in April :p.

addendum: If I'm incorrect about having to bump up most bullets for this rifle please let me know. The naked bullet option isn't my first choice but still better than having to buy another rig and starting over.

if I knurl up a bullet I do not resize just push it down the barrel on top of a dry wool wad. I have got under moa accuracy this way in a sml conversion using Barnes copper solids that are a touch on the small for bore size.

I'm going to try that as well. I have .40 cal with sabots right now. I'm going to knurl them up to see if that will help with the sabot fitment. I plan on going to the Parker bullet if everything else doesn't work out.

Hello everyone let me tell you what I do first clean all oil out of barrel and breech plug before you shot it then at 100 yds us one bullet but with different sabots shoot three shot groups with same weight powder in your group starting with 90 gr by v and go up 10 grs at a time you will see what sabot and powder load shoots best then you can fine tune around your best groups. and with BH you need a two hand bullet presser when you set your bullet do this the same every time the same way. and you need to cool down the barrel sabot do not like heat it makes them soft hope this will helps have fun.

I use one of the knurled bullets from PR bullets. It is easy to load and it very accurate. It was the .50 450gr. Ultimate 1 spitzer.

I expect it's a bullet thing. Have you contacted BPI?
Nit Wit

I've contemplated going to a naked bullet with this rifle. What I'm leery of is that the bore is really oversized for the majority of manufactures standard bullets. The idea of knurling or otherwise "bumping up" an undersized bullet then having to size back down seems like work lol. I've heard Parker bullets will do special diameters on there bullets for a price and that may be an option. My next big purchase will probably be a Hank sizing die anyway. After I exhaust my options with this rifle (to include naked bullets) I'll need the sizing die for the Knight mountaineer that I'll buy after selling my CVA at Tulsa in April :p.
"What I'm leery of is that the bore is really oversized for the majority of manufactures standard bullets."
I wouldn't worry about that...if CVA makes it and if the ELR bullets weren't made for it, the bore will be just fine. If anything it might be tight rather than loose. Now if it was a Paramount you were talking about...well, that would be a different matter.

I have the same rifle, and I would be thrilled to get those kind of groups at 200 yards. That's about what I get at 100.
I hear you there. My prb flinter does (at 100) that good and I do not try the long shots. I now own too many part boxes of sabots and bullets that do not shoot! I like the CVA but frustration is part of this sport!

The Hank sizing die is awesome. If you do buy the die do yourself a favor and get the expander ball just in case you want to size for another gun. He makes a great product!

Back