SIghting-In T/C Bone Collector

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaverickNH

Reaction score
I picked up a T/C Bone Collector 50cal with Leupold 4-9x40 scope combo. After putting 20rd 320gn T/C Maxi Ball down range to “season” the barrel (yes, some do and some don’t but no harm in doing it) I worked at sighting in at 100yd with T/C 250gn SuperGlide Sabots over 2x50gn Triple 7 pellets.

I had to clean between shots, which surprised me - I could not ram completely without cleaning. Very dirty compared to Alliant Black MZ powder!

And I would get 2 shots within 1 MOA and a third 3-4 inches out, cleaning between shots (2 wet patches, 1 dry patch). It’s wasn’t always the 1st, 2nd or 3rd in a string of 3 shots that was the flier so not a heating issue. I’m on a very heavy LeadSled but maybe it was me - I felt no difference between good shots and fliers.

But it’s gotta be me. Any suggestions? Maybe different ramming pressures?

The T/C Bone Collector is not a stiff stock - supported under the for-end and butt by the sled, very slight pressure flexed the stock. It’s those inserts that tame recoil, I guess. So I had to just barely hold it to align cant and put crosshairs on the bullseye. The gun jumped each shot so maybe that’s the issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You had to swab because of the crud ring that T7 powder gives you. You'll be better off switching to BH 209 and you'll be able to shoot all day with no swabbing and no loss of accuracy.

I agree switch to bh209 your breech plug should be capable but I’m not familiar with the bone collector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steelheader323 said:
I agree switch to bh209 your breech plug should be capable but I’m not familiar with the bone collector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just a Triumph with some extras. A good gun that will like BH 209.

MaverickNH said:
I picked up a T/C Bone Collector 50cal with Leupold 4-9x40 scope combo. After putting 20rd 320gn T/C Maxi Ball down range to “season” the barrel (yes, some do and some don’t but no harm in doing it) I worked at sighting in at 100yd with T/C 250gn SuperGlide Sabots over 2x50gn Triple 7 pellets.

I had to clean between shots, which surprised me - I could not ram completely without cleaning. Very dirty compared to Alliant Black MZ powder!

And I would get 2 shots within 1 MOA and a third 3-4 inches out, cleaning between shots (2 wet patches, 1 dry patch). It’s wasn’t always the 1st, 2nd or 3rd in a string of 3 shots that was the flier so not a heating issue. I’m on a very heavy LeadSled but maybe it was me - I felt no difference between good shots and fliers.

But it’s gotta be me. Any suggestions? Maybe different ramming pressures?

The T/C Bone Collector is not a stiff stock - supported under the for-end and butt by the sled, very slight pressure flexed the stock. It’s those inserts that tame recoil, I guess. So I had to just barely hold it to align cant and put crosshairs on the bullseye. The gun jumped each shot so maybe that’s the issue?

Try shooting off bags. Recoil should not be harsh with a 2 pellet load. I gave up on lead sleds years ago.

The BC's Speed Breach XT plug is not ideal for BH209 but it will work if you keep it cleaned out. They best way to do this is with a 1/8" drill bit.

Disregard his use of the torch tip cleaner in the flash hole. It will just wear it out faster. Use a piece of copper or brass wire. Anything that is not abrasive. Torch tip cleaners are like mini round files and will just wear out the hole faster.
[youtube]GcLnxPsKLDE[/youtube]

Well it sounds like you may be cracking or crushing the pellets sometimes pellets are bad for accuracy if you crack or crush some but not all. Your best answer is Blackhorn, only a few people have consistently good results with 7. Try Blackhorn with Win or federal reloading 209 primers and Harvester short black sabots [300gr. and under] and with the ones you are using and crush rib sabots.

I would also switch to BlackHorn 209 powder or you could try loose T7. I like to use CCI209M primers in my son's Triumph. You could also try knurling your bullets and indexing the sabots.

I agree with ditching the lead sled, I find I get much better range accuracy with a big bulls bag .i just always seemed to not be able to really stabilize the gun.plus but I am not sure I think they are hard on scopes and I think the gun should be free to recoil. I now use my sled as a work vise

I agree with the others here on Doing away with the Lead Sled, There was recently a discussion on them in the DWB Forum I believe? Or it ended up about them

I have had 2 of them in the Past, I don’t have them anymore. Good Ole Sand Bags, your Rifle should be able to Recoil naturally. Or Like GM54-120 said, Take the Weight out of it, Put the Sled on a Towel etc. so it can Slide under Recoil

Back