Sighted in The Navy Arms Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Several years ago i bought this .50 caliber Navy Arms Hawken rifle. Bore was pristine but had fast conical twist. Never got decent accuracy from that rifle. Early last month i sent the barrel to Mr. Bobby Hoyt to be bored and rifled to .54 caliber. The twist rate is one turn in 56 inches with rounded groove rifling. The barrel recently came back and today i sighted the rifle in at 50 yards. Yep, dry balled the first round. Pulled the nipple and dribbled powder into the flame channel, re-installed the nipple, capped and fired. The ball struck the the upper right corner of the cardboard.

Fired a two rounds that were all over the place: Made a sight adjustment Opened a new can of Black MZ powder and fired one round, marked it and fired three more rounds. All four balls clustered in a nice group. The .22 caliber holes are old.DSC02546.JPG

DSC02551.JPG

The .22 caliber holes are old.

Those old Navy Arms Hawken rifles are easily the equal in quality to any Thompson/Center rifle ever made. With the rebore/rerifle to .54 caliber you have a real nice hunting rifle. If you can find any, try some Goex ffg/fffg black powder. You might be surprised at the increase in accuracy because the Goex is going to ignite so much faster than the Black MZ substitute powder does. What kind of shape were the patches that you shot today in?

That's still a very respectable group of 4 shots you have there. Good luck with the new rebore!!!!

Latest posts

Back