shotshell sticking

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yodaddy

Reaction score
Took my new optima vr to range on it's maiden voyage.Shot 8 times with 80grns[v] BH209,TR shotshell primer,and various bullets,250/300 SST and scorpion funnel points 300grn,all with harvester crush rib sabots.
Afters 4th-5th shot,shotshell primer started sticking in breech?
First one i dug out with fingernail,second and third one i had to use multi tool pliers to grab and pull out,next one fell out when i opened breech which i did right after shot,and last one had to get pulled out with multi?
I wonder what caused that....dirty breech,shotshell burning hot?
The first 4 shots came out easy,so im not anticipating this happening while hunting with a clean gun.....but i am wondering if it will happen at next extended range shoot?
Anybody had this happen with warm to hot breech and shotshells?
Breech is BK 209 breech.

How much time are you allowing between shots? Rapid firing a muzzy has no real benefits and if you allow several minutes between loads you may find the primer removal much easier after several shots. In summer's heat 15 minutes between shots is not unreasonable. You may also have a breech plug that has slightly tighter tolerances. I have a bunch of CVA guns that all are fed BH209 before the hunting season while its fairly cool and they can be a bit fussy about how long between shots if I get in a hurry. Summertime shooting really requires me to reel in the hurries.... at least 15 minutes between shots using T7 3f and that mirrors BH209. I'd say slow down your loading and shooting timing.

With either BH209 or T7 granular's burn elevated rates the breech plugs can hold a ton of heat during the summer months at that would be my guess. Slow down and enjoy the outing.

I take three guns to the range, all muzzies, all geared for BH209 but shooting T7 3f. I shoot one at a target and clear the primer, then I load and shoot the second gun, clear and reload the third gun.. This spreads the shot from each gun out enough that primers seizing is non existent.

Oh, and welcome to Modern Muzzleloader!

Yea i was leaning toward heat rather than dirty breech.First time using shotshell primers....i dont know what to expect.
I got to range when it opened,trying to beat the heat...knowing i wouldnt be staying long.It was in the 90s by noon.
I got there at 10a.m.,shot 8 shots in an hour......I was on paper at 25 yards first shot,took 3 more shots before i changed loads to what i want to try and shoot...300grn SST.....as i can find these pretty easy around town.
I moved to 50 yrds,got 2 touching 1/2" left of center,and tried 2 more shots with scorpions 300grn....all within 1".
Started getting hot,primers started sticking,left an hour after i got there at 11.
.....100 yrds will be next.May not be this/next week as forecast calls for high 90s.
Thanks for input.:thumb:

...as to how long between shots....id guess 5 minutes.
This is a controlled range run in 15 minute intervals for shooting,about 5 minutes to check/change targets.

They were dark not really sooty.I cleaned the gun when i got home and it wasnt really overly dirty in breech area.
This is first gun ive had where you could screw out firing pin leaving hole all the way to hammer....wasnt very dirty at all in there.
I really didnt inspect primers before/after as i shoulda/will next time.
Bought the gun direct from CVA,its stainless.and ordered a 209 stainless breech...well they sent me a black breech.I called,they sent me new stainless breech couple of days later...no charge.
So of course im using black breech to keep my stainless breech all nice and pretty 😄 ....and detecting dirt,soot is little tougher with black.

I recently bought a new CVA Optima V2 rifle myself. All stainless. My spent primers fall right out with little effort.
I don't get any blow back at all.
Sounds like you're not either. Could be just the heat and humidity in your case.
I would say to try the new stainless breech plug next time, just to see if it is or isn't the breech plug itself.
Muzzleloading guns can be pretty quirky at times. Seems like no two guns are ever exactly the same.

What primers are you using?
I like everyone else am having problems finding primers.Im over loaded with regular ML 209 primers,just cant find primers manufacture calls for.
Seems there are many differing opinions/experiences with using regular ML primers and magnum/shotshell primers.
Im trying to find best components ....ie. primers,powder,bullets that this gun eats.....and buy pretty much a lifetime of these.....so i dont have to search/scramble like ive had last 2 years with guns and ammo.

I have CCI 209M and recently found some Federal 209A primers, which are the recommended primers for Blackhorn.
You can also use the standard Winchester 209 shot shell primers, (red or blue) box.
Regular muzzleloader primers like for 777, are not rated for Blackhorn.

I went gun store someone here suggested to find some nobel primers....they were out of them.
I explained to shop guy about sticking primer and he said try cheddite's they werent as tight as nobles.
So when i got home i compared cheddites with the TR shotshells that stuck when hot and cheddites appeared smaller,especially the rim and maybe the width...hard to tell.
I also got some harvester ribbed sabots for bullets 300 grn or more[just a little taller]....geez i cant stop myself. :D

Back