Shot my Ultimate Firearms BP-Express today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrantSFGDS

Reaction score
Best shooting muzzleloader I have ever shot. I have two Savages, an Encore with factory, and custom barrels, and several other muzzleloaders. Don't get me wrong, my other guns shoot well, but this thing is great.
I got it from a friend of mine who did a lot of testing for for the company early on. He decided to get one of their high end carbon models and made me a deal on his old one. This gun has had the crap shot out of it because it was kind of a test mule, but it still shoots great.
I put 5 Barnes 290 TMZ's into a quarter size group at 100 yards using 4-777 pellets. It also shoots 300-SST's and 300 grain Barnes Triple Shocks in MMP.458 sabots equally well.
I wiped with one wet, and one dry, patch between shots. Cleaned the gun spotless with 6 patches and ZERO blow back in the receiver.
Yes it's heavy at 10.5 lbs with scope, and yes, it's pricey, unless you luck out like I did, and yes, 4 to 5 777 pellets behind a 300 grain bullet will kick the snot out of of you. I don't care, it shoots! :D

Thanks for the report! I've never seen one or shot one. You didn't happen to take a picture did you?

Brant,

Do you know if Randy and those guys are shooting any Blackhorn 209 out of those Ultimates. I haven't run into them since Blackhorn 209 has been available. I would think with that breech plug and the Large Rifle Magnum Primers it would be no problem.

Congratulations on the Ultimate, they are very nice rifles.

Brant: I had an Ultimate Express and , your right, they are great shooters. However, at my age, it was just too heavy to lug!!! Wish I'd kept it long enough to try BH-209. I too would like to hear any reports on the new powder in it. Congrats on a great new gun; wish I was younger, I'd still have mine!!!!!!

Would it be possible for one of you guys to post a range report with pics?

Thanks in advance.

Brant,

Just thought of something else, have they been shooting any of the new 777 Magnum pellets out of them? I know they have shot 4 (200 gr eq.) and 5 (250 gr eq.) pellets out of them, I would think it could handle 3 (225 gr eq. ?) of the 777 magnum pellets? Let us know about the Blackhorn 209 too please.

Busta said:
Brant,

Just thought of something else, have they been shooting any of the new 777 Magnum pellets out of them? I know they have shot 4 (200 gr eq.) and 5 (250 gr eq.) pellets out of them, I would think it could handle 3 (225 gr eq. ?) of the 777 magnum pellets? Let us know about the Blackhorn 209 too please.

Good idea!

I kept the targets so I could post some pics when I get time. The guy I got the rifle from had tried the 777 magnums and said to use 3 He didn't give me much more info about the mag-pellets because all of his dope was for 4 777 pellets and tha's what I was interested in. I will give him a shout and find out what else he has to say about them. He did say that his best groups were with 4 777 pellets and a 300 grain bullet, and that he had a preferrence for the Hornady SST. My shooting seemed to confirm this as the gun shot the 290 TMZ's and 300 Triple Shocks better than the Parker 275. I did not have any 300 SST's at the time. He has not tried Blackhorn, nor have I.

I went to the range for a quick session over the weekend. I reconfirmed zero with 4 pellets and the TMZ's, which it put into one hole. I then tried the 300 SST's, which it put into a nice little hole about an inch from the TMZ group. It did not like the FPB's, however, as it slung them several feet off target in every direction. I promise I will post targets soon.

Here is a pic from their web site.
I like camo so I chose that one to post

camostock.jpg

http://www.ultimatefirearms.com/index.htm

Okay, I ran out of 777 pellets at the range over the weekend ( I thought I had another box) and decided to give the 777 Magnum pellets a try with the 275 Parker bullet. HOLY CRAP! I shot three nickle size 3-round groups back to back. Recoil was significantly less than the 4 pellet 777 load and the groups were an inch higher than the 4 pellet/ 300 SST load.
I called Bob Parker, to order some bullets in bulk, and he said that they have three of these guns and absolutely love them. I concur. One of these days I might remeber to carry a camera with me to the range.

My season is going great! I've fired 5 shots and taken 5 deer, one nice 8-point and 4 does. How do I post pics on this board? I've been promising pics for a while and now that I have some to post, I cant figure out how to do it. Guess I'll just go blast some more deer. Hope y'alls season is going as well as mine!

Is there any feedback yet on anything other then pellets?

Steve

BrantSFGDS said:
How do I post pics on this board? I've been promising pics for a while and now that I have some to post, I cant figure out how to do it.

Open a Photobucket.com account, upload your photos to it, copy them to your posts on this site...very simple.

Steveb,
I tried loose 777 powder and it didn't work that great. The guy I got it from said he tried loose pyrodex and 777 and got it to shoot decent, but no where near as good as pellets. The gun was built for pellets and it shoots them great. I may play with loose powder again down the road if I get bored, right now I'm having way too much fun. The only incentive I have to shoot loose powder in this gun is cost per shot, I don't think I can make it any more accurate. I will keep posting as I learn more. I'll try to take care of the pics tonight.

[/img]
HPIM0425.jpg
Here is a typical 3-shot group with the Ultimate. The top hole is the first shot that has been loaded for a week and carried around in the snow and rain and also in and out of the house. The bottom hole is the next 2 shots. This is the first time I have tried to load photos on here so I dont know if the photo will show up or if you have to click on the link.

HPIM0427.jpg

Here's a pic of the Ultimate.

HPIM0430.jpg

Here's a pic of my Savage.

HPIM0431.jpg

Here is a group shot with the Savage. The first shot was a called flyer to the left. The next three shots were for group. I used the same 3-T7 Mag pellet and 275 Parker BE load as in my Ultimate just for giggles. It shot three groups this size consistently. This may be something for you guys to keep in mind if you go to a state where you have to use non-smokeless in a Savage.

I watched a video clip about Knight's new rifle where the rep claims their new rifle is the first factory muzzleloader designed for 3-T7 Mag pellets. Common sense should tell you that a rifle that is built for smokeless will handle them. The Savage works just fine with them ( see above). Ultimate has been advocating 3-T7 Mag pellets since the Mag pellets were introduced. Again, see above.

Yep, thats one mo bad gun.Kill any thing with it yet?
Other than your shoulder?lol

Latest posts

Back