Shooting the new 40cal. Lehighs at the Farm

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
About the only place I dare shoot these days is at the farm and even there I have to shoot in the Garbanzo field as the wheat is to tall and is already beginning to dry out. The Garbanzo is almost to tall also.

Anyway, I got the bullet package in the mail the other day containing the Lehigh CF bullets - both the 40x185s and the new 40x215's. Grouse has already shot both bullets with good success from a 1-20 twist Knight so I decided to take a 1-30 DISC Extreme. I was really confident the 185's would shoot great from the 1-30. Then just for the heck of it, I through a couple 215's in my pocket - should have taken more! But, I was sure they would tumble from a 1-30 twist.

The goal was really to shoot a comparison test between the Bloodline 185's and the new CF 185's. Weather for me was a concerning factor - when I got to the farm the temp was 74* and in the short time I was there it was up to 83. Way to hot for a warm barrel and MMP tan sabots. For me the Tans are a great sabot and work extremely well anywhere from 60* to sub zero temps. But you gotta do what you gotta do and I needed to shoot.

This is a group pictures show the setup for the shoot.

The first pic upper left - shows how OCD I am - I always load a sabot with one petal facing the ram rod... but with these new CF bullets I find myself placing the bullet in the sabot with a petal on petal configuration.

The bottom left shows the different bullets I had with me this morning that I wanted to shoot with the two 185's being the topic of interest. The new 215 on the right has really peeked my interest. It is a real rifle bullet that even looks like it could be a center fire rifle bullet. Lehigh has closed up the hollow point somewhat and you would think that might make it more aero dynamic. As soon as Tom collects his 100 yard velocities we will know a lot more... In fact more about this bullet later.

When I go on site and set up - I did shoot 3 primers to clear the breech plug. Then I loaded up 110 grains of T7-2f and placed the indexed bullet in the crown - pushed it home. Dropped a primer in the bolt and at this point I did something different than I normally do. I shot the target with the first round - it did turn out to be out of the group a little bit but not bad. The next three shots were awesome! After shooting those 4 bullets one right after another with a Windex patch between shots I switched to the Bloodline 185's. The group did open up a little bit but I blame a lot of that on the warmer barrel-warmer temps. After completing the first group of shots. I want to repeat the test so I started again using the base of the BH bottle as point of aim and began shooting the second set of bullets. It was very difficult to really pick up the POA spot so I was not really to surprised when the groups opened up. But even then with all the negatives I was able to hold both groups under 2" at 100. And ya the barrel was warm.

Here is the target...

This last part of the post should be considered completely preliminary information.

For me the most interesting thing that occurred were the last couple of shots of the day. I loaded up the two 40x215 gr. Lehigh's and shoot them. I was sure they would tumble - in fact I know they would tumble (fail to stabilize). So I just picked an open area on the target and touched the trigger. Looking through the scope the hole did not look bad at all - so loaded up the next one and shot it at a lower spot on the target. You can find both holes on the target and the are not tumblers. Plan on going out again in the morning and shoot a group with the 1-30. If this works it could be one of the best 40 cal. bullets Lehigh Dave has ever made. Just think if this bullet could be shot from a 1-30 1-28 how many people would have a use for it...

Worst part none of this will be for sure even if they work tomorrow - Hopefully Tom who has some and SShooter might try the same shoot.

Great first report Mike. In have some of the 215's on the way. Actually shipped today. I was planning on pushing them fast with bh. I have both 1:20, and a 1:30. I just might try both with them. It is hot here right now. 91 today but I might have time in the mornings.

air_rn said:
Great first report Mike. In have some of the 215's on the way. Actually shipped today. I was planning on pushing them fast with bh. I have both 1:20, and a 1:30. I just might try both with them. It is hot here right now. 91 today but I might have time in the mornings.

When you physically see this new bullet I think you really might be impressed with the new design and from the 1-20 they should really be deadly and I am thinking out there along ways if the energy remains up there.

I just can not figure out why they shot without tumbling today from the 1-30. They really should not stabilize but the holes looked as good as the 185's. It would just be out of sight if they might work from a slower twist.

When you get them let me know what you think about them.

Good report SL.

The holes on the 215's look a little more egg shaped than the 185's, but definitely not tumbling - at least not at that point. I guess we'll see with further reports. I do like the looks of them.

Latest posts

Back