Savage 10ML in 45 caliber ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lwh723 said:
For my 45PCNR, I went with a 27" barrel. I would advise against that. It really doesn't gain you much than just added weight. Even if you go with the 25" barrel (same length as a stock Savage 10ML) you're going to gain some weight as the PCNR barrel is a slightly larger OD along with a smaller bore diameter.

My 27" barrel isn't the end of the world, especially since I pretty much just stand hunt with my ML, but if you were going to be still hunting, I would consider 25" a max length. A couple of guys over on Doug's have gone down to 22-23" (some even by choice ;) ) and are still seeing good results.

Yeah, I think I read some stuff about that. I had originally told them 26".
I could change that to 24" This gun could probably stand to lose a few pounds :lol: . I planned to go with the savage target action(large shank barrel) with the target accutrigger 6oz.-2.5 lbs. and a HS precision stock with the aluminum bedding block.

squirrelhawker said:
I could change that to 24" This gun could probably stand to lose a few pounds :lol: . I planned to go with the savage target action(large shank barrel) with the target accutrigger 6oz.-2.5 lbs. and a HS precision stock with the aluminum bedding block.

That sounds like a real nice setup. I don't think you'd loose anything going to a 24" barrel. That being said, if in doubt, you can always make a longer barrel shorter after the fact. It's kind of tough the other way around though. ;)

lwh723 said:
squirrelhawker said:

That sounds like a real nice setup. I don't think you'd loose anything going to a 24" barrel. That being said, if in doubt, you can always make a longer barrel shorter after the fact. It's kind of tough the other way around though. ;)

My barber told me basically the same thing. :)

squirrelhawker said:
MK85Shooter said:
squirrelhawker said:
squirrelhawker said:
MK85Shooter said:
I can vouch for Rick Bibby's (rbinar) work. I bought a 45 Pacnor barrel direct from him this spring. He bedded it and added the 3rd action screw in my stock. This gun will shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 200 yds, (if I do my part), with the 200g Hornady SST and the 195g Barnes Expander in the Harvester light blue sabot. My load is 68g of H322 at 2670 fps.

Do you ever have ignition problems or notice any unburned powder with that load? The 68gr. H322

Sorry it took me so long to respond to your question. No I have not had any ignition issues with this load nor have I noticed any unburnt powder. I have not had a chance to shoot this load in cold weather yet. That would be the true test of ignition problems.

Hey MK85,
Also the sabot you speak of is the Harvester smooth?
(not the crush rib)....Thanks :)

Yes its the baby blue smooth Harvester sabot.

Latest posts

Back