Reloaded 4 times!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franksauto

Reaction score
True story,
2 weeks ago I climbed into my ladder stand. It was a little late in the morning, 6:45am. I was tierd as can be so I took a little nap. When I opened my eyes at 7:10am there were 5 deer feeding around 50 yards in front of me. I put the cross hairs on a doe and wham! I almost broke my nose. Don't ask me how but I got scoped on the bridge of my nose. When the stars and smoke cleared the deer were still there. How could I miss. I reloaded as the tears running down my face were beginning to freeze. This time I took my time, put the cross hairs behind the shoulder & bang she jumped & took off. I reloaded. 15 Minutes later the deer came back. I picked the bigger one and bang. Not even a flinch. She never moved. I missed. I reloaded again. Bang! I missed again. She just continued to feed. I loaded my last speed load into my MK85 (who ever thought you need more than 1). I waited for her to give me a clear shot and just then a bigger doe stepped out. Bang! You guessed it I missed again. The deer came closer after shooting thats when I noticed it was a 4 pointer. Now I have no speed loads left and 6 deer feeding around my stand all within 50 yards. I figured I had to get down before a big buck came out. How the hell did I miss 4 times. This gun shoots 1 hole 5 shot groups at 50 and 75 yards. Well I got down went over to where the deer were standing when I shot. No blood. I followed theit tracks in the snow for about 40 yards still no blood. By now I am totally disgusted. I missed 5 times??? I started towards the truck with my head hung low. Then I told myself go back and look. I went back and followed their tracks another 10 yards finally a few drops of blood. I found the doe about 80 yards from where I shot her. I got her out to the truck and decided to go back and see what happened. I followed her tracks again and found that the blood trail was actually going away from the fallen deer. I followed it about 40 yards into some thick stuff and wow! A huge doe lay dead. another perfect shot. I thought I missed. Niether deer bleed for around 50 yards but the bullets did lots of damage. Anyway I had 4 tags at the time. I took them to get checked in and weighed them. 1 weighed 109# the other dressout at 144# my biggest doe ever. I took the gun to the range and it shot as good as ever. I dont know how I missed the next 3 shots but im glad I did. Here in Mass we can only take 2 deer in one outing. They must be checked in before hunting for another. Believe or not this is a true story. I will try and post a picture.
Frank

100_1572.jpg

This is one of my best groups ever with a muzzle-loader. It's the only target I ever saved. There's 6 shots in that one hole at 75 yards. You can cover the hole completely with a quarter. I did this using a Knight MK85 with stainless barrel and laminate stock, 2 pyrodex pellets and a 295gr Powerbelt HP. I converted the ignition to the 209 disc extreme.
sightedin.jpg

Congradulations on your harvest :)
There is no doubt in my mind i would never shoot another Deer with those bullets again. XTP'S, SST'S, Dead Centers, will give you alot better performance.

Great accuracy and tracking job but bullet performance leaves much to be desired....A less skilled hunter would have lost those deer...I'd be looking for better Terminal Bullet Performance...Worked out well this time..

Frank, my guess is you in fact missed with the first shot (the nose breaker) and thereafter you were completely insane. :wink:

Stop hunting in that petting zoo! 8)

Bwana said:
Great accuracy and tracking job but bullet performance leaves much to be desired....A less skilled hunter would have lost those deer...I'd be looking for better Terminal Bullet Performance...Worked out well this time..
If the ground wasnt covered with snow I probably would have given up. I plan on switching to Nosler Partition 260gr for the 2006 season, providing they shoot well out of my gun. I picked up several packages of them and just need to try them out at the range.
Frank

Latest posts

Back