Rebarrel or buy new?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RHeron

Reaction score
Hello friends. I'm Ryan. I'm new to this forum, hope I'm asking this question in the correct category. I have a knight disc 50cal. Not an "extreme " disc. Rifle was given to me by my father in law in what I consider fairly poor condition. Some pitting inside the barrel and slight rust on the breech plug. Clearly it deserved better maintenance but it's how I recieved it. My question is - should I rebarrel it or buy a new weapon completely? What's the costs associated with a rebarrel? Can it be done at home or do I need to pay a Smith? Barrel manufacturer that's recommended? Additional replacement parts I should consider? Thanks for your time. Hope to get headed in the right direction from the knowledge I know visits this site.
Good day to you all.
Ryan

That's a tough question. Either way you're laying out money. A young man from my church recently showed me a knight rifle, also given to him and also in pretty bad shape.
I told him that I could try to help him clean it up.
I have no idea how it will turn out or even if it's worth the effort.
You can always give it a shot, maybe not a lost cause.
Good luck.

I personally would clean that breech plug up, hit the barrel with about 100 strokes with Montana X-treme bore polish, and then see how it shoots.
You may find that it's accuracy is just fine. If that's the case you could then just replace the breech plug.

I got desperate on a T/C Renegade and used valve lapping compound. Still have it and it's dead accurate with .490 round balls.

Don't know enough about inines, but I would think you would be money ahead finding another rifle.

Appreciate the responses. After your suggestions I'm going to try and buff out the barrel and replace the plug. After that it seems the smart move is a complete replacement rifle. Unfortunate but a part of the process I guess. Thanks guys

Post a picture of the breach plug. I might have 20200826_073225.jpga replacement for you.
I appreciate your generous offer but that will no longer be necessary. I was able to soak my rusty plug in diesel fuel over night, hit it with a wire wheel, and put it in the parts washer at work. Very happy with the result. Going to order the montana extreme polish and see how much luck I get on the barrel. Thanks again, very kind people on this site.
Ryan

If its a Stainless barrel ONLY......Use Evapo-Rust first in the bore. All the rust will dissolve. If used on a blued rifle it will also remove the blueing.

After the Evapo-Rust treatment you can use a polish. Anything with phosphoric acid will eat nearly all the rust away.

Latest posts

Back