max accuracy from a Knight muzzleloader?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd be surprised at what a Knight will do at long range.......... BEYOND 300YDS.
Knights have won a bucket full of National titles, shooting to 500yds. No other production rifle can match them to date.
The 1:28 twist will get you to 500yds with not much work, but if you intend to shoot beyond that, you won't be real happy with that twist.
Increase the velocity, such as using 120grs VOLUME of BH209 and a 300gr bullet, Parker, Fury, Arrowhead, Pittman and you'll have sufficient energy for long range hunting.
Very few LONG RANGE shooters on the site.
velocity

What a wealth of great information! 500 yards,I had no idea! Long ago I had shot a BPCR rifle loaded by the owner who was a competitor. It was an indelible experieince with its globe front sight witha spririt level and that tall vernier rear sight mounted on the wrist. I shall have that combination since New Mexico requires iron sights now, but only after using a scope in load development.
I am assuming 150 grains of volume powder charge. What would that be in a weighed charge?
How are you going to attach the vernier rear sight base to the Knight? Many sight bases are rifle specific [Sharps, Ballard, Rolling block, etc.] The sight staff has to be perfectly vertical to the bore. Does your rear vernier come with extra sight discs or a hadley adjustable disc? Your rear staff will be adjustable in MINUTES. There is a learning curve involved in learning how to adjust the vernier sight EXACTLY in minutes rather than twist the elevation knob and see where the bullet goes. Learn to think in minutes. When your sights are mounted, you will have to "zero" your windage adjustable front sight. In other words, set the front sight for zero windage and drift the sight in the dovetail until your bullets are hitting the target in the center windage wise. Obviously you must do this at the range from a solid rest. You will have to decide if a front post or aperture works best for you. You will find that once you have a good load developed with a scope, it is going to take a whole lot of practice to learn how to shoot with aperture sights, especially at distance at animals, and especially from "field positions" when hunting. You should get your sight dope for every 50 yards from a hundred yards on out and tape your sight dope card to the gunstock when you hunt. M/l's have a rainbow like trajectory at distance so a rangefinder will be absolutely necessary for exact sight adjustment and ethical kills. And like Encore said..........practice, practice, practice. X

In general, a combination of things, bullet design, BC, velocity, stability.
Bullet design changes between 100 and 300 yards?

And generally, bullets become more gyroscopically stable as they fly down range (within moderate ranges) because the velocity degrades faster than the spin rate.

And generally, bullets become more gyroscopically stable as they fly down range (within moderate ranges) because the velocity degrades faster than the spin rate.
i think someone is looking for an argument, and yes bullet design can change once fired before leaving the bore, and still work at 100

LOL................... Bullet design will not change from a pointed high BC bullet to a hollow point while its in flight. :wall:

Bullets can lose dynamical stability as they lose velocity. Unlike the case with gyroscopic stability, stability at the muzzle does not imply stability down range. We're also talking large diameter muzzleloader bullets, not sleek high BC CF bullets.

Last edited:
i think someone is looking for an argument, and yes bullet design can change once fired before leaving the bore, and still work at 100
Bob, its just another attempt by someone trying to make others believe they know about long range shooting, when long range to them is 50yd 1" groups of 3. We've forgot more about long range shooting than 99% of them know. It's like I told Hal, this place is getting just like FB. Set back and watch................

LOL................... Bullet design will not change from a pointed high BC bullet to a hollow point while its in flight. :wall:

Bullets can lose dynamical stability as they lose velocity. Unlike the case with gyroscopic stability, stability at the muzzle does not imply stability down range. We're also talking large diameter muzzleloader bullets, not sleek high BC CF bullets.
Just looking for clarification on your response.

Yes, there is no doubt that bullets can lose dynamic stability at longer ranges. Generally this is attributed to poor bullet design in the transonic range. Most of us shooting modern bullets at reasonable speeds don’t approach the transonic range until beyond 300 yards. Past that I agree that some bullets can get unpredictable.

Bob, its just another attempt by someone trying to make others believe they know about long range shooting, when long range to them is 50yd 1" groups of 3. We've forgot more about long range shooting than 99% of them know. It's like I told Hal, this place is getting just like FB. Set back and watch................
I agree ,

Just looking for clarification on your response.

Yes, there is no doubt that bullets can lose dynamic stability at longer ranges. Generally this is attributed to poor bullet design in the transonic range. Most of us shooting modern bullets at reasonable speeds don’t approach the transonic range until beyond 300 yards. Past that I agree that some bullets can get unpredictable.
why are you so intent on making people sound incorrect on things?

I have not had the pleasure of hunting elk with a muzzle loader but always thought if I did I would use one of the 450 grain or heavier bullet in the pic below. (edit one of the 4 on the right) I do have a Knight (several) and I do have these bullets. They shoot great with 77 grains by weight of T7 ffg and a cardboard wad between the bullet and the powder and lube on the bullet. I have not pursued additional load development because I have doubts about me hunting elk in the future.

The bullet is made by Mr Hollowpoint and he has a web sight. He will size them to your specs and I requested .503. Our member Ron has shot them in his expansion tests and those videos are available here.

I like this bullet because it should have a slightly better BC than a lot of lead. A little help anyway for longer shots.

Personally with heavy lead I think if you can hit it you can kill it. I just checked and if assigned a BC of .2 and a velocity of 1450 fps then you will still have 800 fps velocity at 500 yards. I think its going to require something more than a baseball glove to stop that bullet. Lots of theory here. Good luck and kill one for me.

View attachment 40623View attachment 40623
I have his 465g solid long nose & the 515g similaar to the 550g in the bottom pic, for my custom .50 LRH 1:24. I reeeeally like the 465g solid long nose bullets

"It's like I told Hal, this place is getting just like FB. Set back and watch................"

Not quite...Just a very small minority of posts. Still the best place on the internet to get info on muzzleloaders with a TON of members willing to give great feedback and help to those seeking to learn.

Latest posts

Back